• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lucey and Schwartz by the decades

8 posts in this topic

I've been scouring through my huge mound of Archie digests trying to hone my artist

identification skills. I've gotten good at recognizing the later work of Samm Schwartz and

Harry Lucey. Some of their earlier work jumps out at me, but it would be helpful

if someone could post a scan or two showing how the work of these two greats evolved over

the years.

I know posts asking other people to do work can be annoying, just want to be sure of who's

who over the years. I think Lucey and Schwartz rank among the best comic book artists

ever and I'd like to focus my Archie collecting on their work.

Shcwartz( whew...that's a lot of consonants) just didn't do it for me. There was nothing like a true Montana gag cover. Same with Lucey and De Carlo. Nothing against Schwartz, but whenever I saw his stuff it was almost like picking up an Uncle Scrooge and seeing one of the "different" artist.Some people may or may not agree with me, But Montana and then Lucey, added so much character , electricity and personanlity to their work. DeCarlo actually had a bit of a slow start and then he grew on me as he came into his own, Montana and Lucey I loved from the beginning. It's their stuff that I remember fondly from childhood.

I actually prefer Schwartz to everyone but Lucey. Early on (as in the cover I posted) he was working in Montana's style, but by the late '50s he had his own style :cloud9:

DeCarlo's work for Archie I think peaked in the early-mid '60s. I much prefer his Atlas work on Millie and Irma to his Archie work.