• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are marvel characters comics cheap?!

9 posts in this topic

This is something that i've been wondering for some time:

If you take a look for ex: at DD series you'll only have the first few issues that are more expensive and the rest more or less affordable or cheap, the same goes for Hulk that only has nº181 going in crazy high prices, the same for Cap. A. and FF (nº100 and up of course), and also the same formula for the Avengers 1st series... confused.gif

An the above characters are the powerhouse's ones, not some secondary ones...!!!

I only see from the major titles, AMS and Uncanny going for some Medium high/high prices in more than just a couple of issues...

Why do you think these prices don't go upper? I mean these books have more than 40 years old and are still in the 50$ range (the majority).

Regards, Pedro.

ps- this is of course in the raw NM area, not your fantastically crazy CGC 9.8 coll.!!! wink.gif

Why do you think these prices don't go upper? I mean these books have more than 40 years old and are still in the 50$ range (the majority).

It's the old supply-demand theory at work, but speculation is the main culprit, and it is truly amazing what some of these older comics go for in NM, especially compared to something like Ultimate Spider-man. It's almost as if the collector base is shrinking as speculator prices drive them away.

Now I'm not speaking out of my butt here, as many respected industry analysts like Overstreet, Carter, etc. point to 2 main criteria in determining overt speculator influence:

1) A increasing price gulf between NM or higher comics and those NM- and lower.

2) A rapid increase in key issue values, that does not correlate to overall industry trends.

Joe

Do you think within the next 5 years let's say, titles such as avengers , FF, DD, Hulk,... will get any attention? Or even starting to get hunt down more constantly?

I'm starting to see a much more price incresae on modern runs as for ex: Amazing Spider nº400-441 or the vol.2 nº15-30, rather than comics that were made almost 40 years ago and that everyone praises around...

Crazy market we have here,lol.

Regards, Pedro.

Joe, I'm gonna' answer this first, just to see how my take compares to yours.

Firstly, the supply of NM- and lower comics printed 30 - 40 years ago is there. Will there be much change in these over the next 5 years? Maybe a little, but I don't expect more than a few % points a year. Latter issues of the Spiderman, Daredevil, Hulk etc. I feel may go up more. These comics were printed just after the collapse in the early 90's when a lot of new comic readers left the hobby. As a result, not nearly as many of these were printed as were in the late 80's / early 90's.

I suspect, a lot of these readers may be slowly coming back. Considering the lower cost of finishing the runs they read as opposed to buying up $30, $40 or $50 comics which came out BEFORE they left the hobby, I suspect these are the comics that will be targeted first by these collectors.

Whatcha' think? grin.gif

I suspect, a lot of these readers may be slowly coming back.

Actually, the numbers don't support this hypothesis. Any comic store owner I've talked to has stated that while overall sales have increased, the number of comic buyers is virtually the same.

What's changed is that Marvel and DC have convinced the current base to purchase multiple issues again, such as USM, Batman, Fables, Y, etc. This "put the C (note) back in Comics" is something Jemas has stated is one of his main goals.

What's changed is that Marvel and DC have convinced the current base to purchase multiple issues again, such as USM, Batman, Fables, Y, etc

Well, I'm not convinced many of these past readers have/will not return but I feel that if Jemas is trying to get collectors to invest in multiples, it's doomed and a short term fix.

History will repeat itself.

I could see buying multiples and flipping them maybe working when Marvel didn't have a reprint policey, but now any hot book needs only to be re-printed to basically screw the people that invested in them.

I suspect, a lot of these readers may be slowly coming back.

Actually, the numbers don't support this hypothesis. Any comic store owner I've talked to has stated that while overall sales have increased, the number of comic buyers is virtually the same.

What's changed is that Marvel and DC have convinced the current base to purchase multiple issues again, such as USM, Batman, Fables, Y, etc. This "put the C (note) back in Comics" is something Jemas has stated is one of his main goals.

Are we back to that gimmick cover [!@#%^&^] again? How about great stories with great art on normal paper. I belive with a great story and fantastic art even westerns will eventually sell.

Sorry JC, but i am in tight with several retailers and they ALL Say readership is up, and NEW people are coming in, and few people are buying multiples. Kids have started coming in too. Maybe you live in a comics hating section of the continent? confused-smiley-013.gif

Are you really saying that since USM and the movies started up, there has been virtually no increase in multiple copy buying? If so, then I don't think I'm the one living in the Twilight Zone of Comic Collecting. 27_laughing.gif