• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Killing Joke insanity, part deux

60 posts in this topic

It will be interesting to see if condition affects price, I doubt it.

Yeah, its a great page so it probably won't matter too much, but what a shame. Bets on higher or lower than the last KJ page?

I'll go higher (since its play money :) )

The last think I want to do is spend 5 figures on a piece and have it be in the early stages is disintegration.....if that page is in the process of browning because of whatever the past owners did to it when storing/displaying it certainly effects the value to me.

Like all those Starlin pages with purple/brown/tan marker ink lines that used to be black...the prices on those were greatly effected.

Condition is a factor in any piece. The more expensive the piece the bigger the factor.

C

Yeah, its a great page so it probably won't matter too much, but what a shame. Bets on higher or lower than the last KJ page?

I'll go higher (since its play money :) )

Wasn't the last page an all out battle page with Batman fighting the Joker in all panels? (shrug)

C

Yes. I like this page better personally though. More memorable. But hey what do I know, I'm still a noob :) That's why I'm betting with play money :D (plus if I ever spent that much the wife would castrate).

Yes. I like this page better personally though. More memorable. But hey what do I know, I'm still a noob :)

It's not a noob, thing....I just could not remember the exact image.

I just looked it up to remind myself.

The page that sold last was 6 panels. Batman, Joker, or both of them in all panels. Two great closeups. The dialogue is perfect. "We are going to kill each other, aren't we." ...oooh chills.

This page looks great too (they all look great). Two nice face shots.But it's 9 panels instead of 6, No real dialogue. 4 of 9 panels have nothing except rain and shadow in them.

But it does have this in its favor...it's the page that REALLY pissed everyone off the first time they read Killing Joke. The "What the hell?" nostalgia comes flying back to mind.

I would be surprised if this one surpassed the last one. The other just had so much going for it and not a hint of condition issues.I can see it selling for the 2nd most ever for a page from this book. Which is still saying something.

C

Although this page is quite out of my league, I'd say without the damage I'd say the piece would Definently go for more than the last page. I personally think this is a far more attractive page than the last one up for auction. With this page incurring the damage from it's owner, I'd not pay as much as I normally would, that said I reckon it will still go for more than the other TKJ page.

Yes. I like this page better personally though. More memorable. But hey what do I know, I'm still a noob :)

The page that sold last was 6 panels. Batman, Joker, or both of them in all panels. Two great closeups. The dialogue is perfect. "We are going to kill each other, aren't we." ...oooh chills.

This page looks great too (they all look great). Two nice face shots.But it's 9 panels instead of 6, No real dialogue. 4 of 9 panels have nothing except rain and shadow in them.

But it does have this in its favor...it's the page that REALLY pissed everyone off the first time they read Killing Joke. The "What the hell?" nostalgia comes flying back to mind.

I would be surprised if this one surpassed the last one. The other just had so much going for it and not a hint of condition issues.I can see it selling for the 2nd most ever for a page from this book. Which is still saying something.

C

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't get paying more for a page just because there was a battle or strictly because of the number of panels. If we're evaluating art on that basis then it really isn't art at all, its just a question of how many checkboxes I can tick off on my mental checklist of "GRAIL PAGE" attributes. Which is a joke, IMO.

Very nice page, and very memorable. I'll say, actually, that every single page from the book is memorable. It was only 46 pages, after all!

The condition is a major deterrent here for me. This is the ONLY page from this book that I've seen in anything less than perfect condition, and it's very unfortunate. Still a great page, but the yellowing and the stat make it somewhat less appealing. I've had pages like this (condition-wise) before, and it definitely hurt the overall look.

Very nice page, and very memorable. I'll say, actually, that every single page from the book is memorable. It was only 46 pages, after all!

The condition is a major deterrent here for me. This is the ONLY page from this book that I've seen in anything less than perfect condition, and it's very unfortunate. Still a great page, but the yellowing and the stat make it somewhat less appealing. I've had pages like this (condition-wise) before, and it definitely hurt the overall look.

Put it in a frame and have it covered up..lol

C

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't get paying more for a page just because there was a battle or strictly because of the number of panels. If we're evaluating art on that basis then it really isn't art at all, its just a question of how many checkboxes I can tick off on my mental checklist of "GRAIL PAGE" attributes. Which is a joke, IMO.

Evaluating sequential art by what is on the page is not a joke. And when you have two pages from the same book, by the same writer and artist to compare each other to, it is even more relevant to balance one against the other. These aren't apples and oranges and I did not say every 6 panel page was worth more than every 9 panel page. Just this one in particular, because of the art on the page.

It's not the number of panels strictly. And I am not saying one is more valueable because of "Checkboxes"..I am saying it may be more desireable to have a page with more action, more images of the characters, larger images of those characters. If you laid pages next to each other for comparison with similar good art and good details on them where the storytelling/elements are equal it is not an original statement to say that a splash will sell for more than a 1/2 splash, or a page where the characters are in all the panels will sell for more than a page where characters are only on half the page.

Putting these two pages next to each other and taking the condition issues into account I did not think it was that odd that more folks would go after the first page, more folks might be worried about the condition of the second page, and looking at how the panels are filled they might simply go harder after the first page and thus it would sell for more.

C

it is not an original statement to say that a splash will sell for more than a 1/2 splash, or a page where the characters are in all the panels will sell for more than a page where characters are only on half the page.

C

I know what you're saying Chris; of course. Obviously those factors come into play. I think they come into play a little too much sometimes... I don't get paying for a battle page simply because its a battle page. Maybe I'm biased on this point because as far as battle pages go, I didn't particularly care for the last KJ page. Sure, it was nice as any page from the book is, but I didn't think it was the be all end all. Condition issues aside, I like this page better but some may not agree.

I 100% prefer this page to the previous. To me, it's one of the best pages in the Killing Joke, based on the story content. This page is the payoff to the story and sums up the entire point of the book. Condition is a little rough, but the art itself is undamaged.

I guess it depends whether you're buying it primarily as an Alan Moore Killing Joke page or as a Brian Bolland Killing Joke page. I would be buying mostly for Moore if I was in the running.