• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got my first piece by some guy named Frank F.

29 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I think this "Frazetta" guy may actually turn out to be somebody. I know this piece I won on eBay the other night doesn't compare to a $35,000 Art Adams cover or a $35,252 Killing Joke page, but I like it anyway. I see that the piece is dated "1995" - do you guys know if he has done any work since then? (shrug)

46366-FrankFrazettaShiSenryakuCover2.JPG.8782357afd23a09ff0d97a33732f10f7.JPG

:P

But, seriously, I'm thrilled to add a Frazetta original to my collection. I wasn't in the market for one (indeed, I had hoped to take a bit of a hiatus from collecting!), but I've always loved this cover and thought this was the perfect opportunity to add a full-color, published Frazetta to my collection. And, at a reasonable price I might add - heck, compared to what a lot of other art is selling for these days, I thought it was a veritable bargain! I also happen to be a fan and collector of Billy Tucci's "Shi" character; I appreciate too that the piece has an understated quality to it that will allow it to be displayed just about anywhere in my apartment.

I picked this up in person this morning (many thanks, Billy) - it looks spectacular in person!

Gene

Why is she wearing clothing?.........

lol j/k.....any Frank is a joy to have. Congrats.

I am just used to seeing him work on disrobed women.

All this talk of prices makes me wish I grabbed that "Squid Girl" piece that heritage had last year.

C

Very nice, Gene.

Your comment on "understated" is spot on. It would display perfectly as just a piece of art. I knew it was Shi but, never having read an issue, was totally unaware it was a "comic cover". Looks like a (very) nice illustration.

Great great piece Gene, congratulations !

I see you bought it from Tucci himself, never met Frazetta, but did meet and spend some time with Billy and his mother when they came to Belgium last year. Fantastic people and Tucci is the nicest pro I've ever met :)

Congrats Gene! Given what this piece is and its connection to the previous owner, I was shocked to see it made available for sale. Buying/selling art is all about timing. I'd say yours was pretty good with this one (thumbs u

Burkey had this on his website, 20Kish I think.

Must have been a different piece...this one came straight out of Shi creator Billy Tucci's collection where it has been since 1995.

Thanks for all the congrats, guys! :acclaim:

Hey guys, I think this "Frazetta" guy may actually turn out to be somebody. I know this piece I won on eBay the other night doesn't compare to a $35,000 Art Adams cover or a $35,252 Killing Joke page, but I like it anyway. I see that the piece is dated "1995" - do you guys know if he has done any work since then? (shrug)

This guy's good. Too bad he has to copy Mike Hoffman's style.

Seriously, very nice addition to your impressive collection. (thumbs u

Hey guys, I think this "Frazetta" guy may actually turn out to be somebody.

I've heard of this guy! He's like a knock-off of that Boris fellow, isn't he?

Nice pick up, although of all the things in the world for Frazetta to have been working on during the last 15 years or so... Shi. doh!

Hey guys, I think this "Frazetta" guy may actually turn out to be somebody.

I've heard of this guy! He's like a knock-off of that Boris fellow, isn't he?

Nice pick up, although of all the things in the world for Frazetta to have been working on during the last 15 years or so... Shi. doh!

hehe.... it does seem an odd choice. Maybe he knows Tucci or did it as a favor to Tucci?

Gene, any idea?

Great piece and huge congrats!!! Also, don't take this the wrong way, but how is a half-naked bloody-katana-wielder "understated?" :P

how is a half-naked bloody-katana-wielder "understated?" :P

Because she's not fully naked! ;)

Well, if Heritage wrote the auction description, they may have described it as "the delicate portrayal of a woman in traditional Japanese make-up and costume". :P;):grin:

well, that sounds about right!

I think they must get sick of writing their own flowery prose :)

Your piece wouldn't be as hard to write up but they really have to dress up some dogs once in a while ;)

how is a half-naked bloody-katana-wielder "understated?" :P

Because she's not fully naked! ;)

lol that's actually the explanation that first ran through my mind as well. Also understated compared to some of Gene's Vampi art I guess - which is nice but is still pretty much a hot chick wearing a g string - not that there's anything wrong with that! :devil: