• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was this the $20,000 OO "comic"?

44 posts in this topic

Shill central on that auction.

I was warned when I joined the Boards 1 1/2 years ago that they were filled with with a fair share of A Holes......apparently I was told the truth.

Here is the "only I can see" bid history on this auction, showing the identity of the 2nd highest bidder. He registered in Feb. of this year ( 8 months ago ), and has 1 feedback. $10,200 to ANYONE who can prove that this bidder is me ( which it's not ), or has any instructions from me to bid. I have never heard of him before this auction.

The suggestion that I tampered with my own auction is offensive and inexcusable, especially from you guys who know me ( online, that is )

Shame on those of you who ASSumed they know what happened here, and that it involved auction fraud. This is a very disapointing Boards moment.

Obadiah Oldbuck!! 1st US comic/printing 1842 RARE KEY!

Winning bid:US $10,201.00

Reserve met

Where exactly did I say YOU were the one who shilled it or had anything to do with that bid? Talking about the irony in a post! You ASSumed that's what I meant, but I never even thought of it that way. I thought it was someone who reading your idiotic chest-thumbing "What is more important, OO or Superman" post(s) and decided to have a little fun with you.

I never once implied (or thought) that you were colluding in your own auctions, Steve. Now that you point it out though, you're one of the few who did create a shill account on these boards and post.

I'll accept your apology for the rude insinuation.

Your pal,

Shield.

Where exactly did I say YOU were the one who shilled it or had anything to do with that bid? Talking about the irony in a post! You ASSumed that's what I meant, but I never even thought of it that way.

Shield.

Fine....have a dozen of these, and place them in your favorite vase :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou:

Shield for President in 2008!

what you describe is NOT CALLED SHILL bidding. that might have been called thrill bidding or just being an hole and interferring with an auction for the purpose F'ing with someone.

Shill bidding is where there is colusion between the seller and the bidder for the purpose of raising the ultimate price paid for an item. If the two parties are not involved TOGETHER there is simply no shill.

Having dealt with Steve I also do not believe that he would be involved with scamming his own auction.

I would be curious who the 2nd highest bidder was though, and I admit that if I did not know the seller I would have suspected something as well.

the main point would be if the eventual buyer was concerned about the transaction or was he happy with the book and the price that he paid for it

Besides thrill bidding and shill bidding, there's also revenge bidding, where someone tries to jack up the price of an item that soemone they don't care for might be bidding on. Whatever the case, I'd be very unhappy if someone with one feedback jacked the selling price up six grand, at the last moment, whatever the reason.

JKJerome routinely outbids me on just about every platinum book I ever try to get on eBay to the point that it's put me off bidding. So frankly, I don't feel all that bad for him. He must have the money. And he must be amassing a huge PA collection.

what you describe is NOT CALLED SHILL bidding. that might have been called thrill bidding or just being an hole and interferring with an auction for the purpose F'ing with someone.

Shill bidding is where there is colusion between the seller and the bidder for the purpose of raising the ultimate price paid for an item. If the two parties are not involved TOGETHER there is simply no shill.

I just lumped all "disingenuous" bidding together - punishment, thrill, joy, shill - anyone who places a bid that has no intention of following through with it.

No-one has any idea whether this is a real, thrill or punishment/revenge bid as no-one here has indicated that they know who the bidder is.

He could be a major PA collector who doesn't frequent e-bay or a book collector who views OO as an important book (not comic :baiting:).

No-one has any idea whether this is a real, thrill or punishment/revenge bid as no-one here has indicated that they know who the bidder is.

He could be a major PA collector who doesn't frequent e-bay or a book collector who views OO as an important book (not comic :baiting:).

That's the problem with the lack of transparency on ebay. We don't know who's doing the bidding a lot of the times and a one feedback last minute 6,000 dollar bid can be percieved as fishy.If I were speculating, I would view this as a spite, revenge or thrill bid, but of course we'll never know. I'd be curious to see what would have happened if the high bidder backed out of the sale and a second chance offer was made to the one feedback bidder. I'm betting he wouldn't even answer the email. Whatever the story is, the selling price more than doubled, which is a good thing if you're a seller, but not if you are a buyer.

So Showcase - how many OO's do you have left? You should keep at least one, right? I'm sure it sucks taking a 10k bath on a book, but that happens sometimes, especially on books that don't have a lengthy sales performance history to refer to.

So Showcase - how many OO's do you have left? You should keep at least one, right? I'm sure it sucks taking a 10k bath on a book, but that happens sometimes, especially on books that don't have a lengthy sales performance history to refer to.

I have 1 OO left, being restored for the past year...should be ready soon. I will probably keep it, as selling ANYTHING at a loss is not something I want to make a habit of ;)

If I keep it long enough, in theory I will be OK ( as long as it does not get dethroned as the 1st :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: )

I have had a combination of things...some good / some very bad, lead me to switching my focus to GA collecting in 2006. With the Plat books that I have bought / sold / traded over the years, I have actually done pretty well with my returns overall. Only the OO has really thrown me for a loop. I was originally planning on keeping all 3 copies for 20 year or so, then circumstances had me needing to sell this year.......you never want to pay a record price for something, and then sell soon afterwards ( unless it's a proven entity with frequent sales like an AF15 or Tec 27 ). I never in a million years would have thought in 2005 that in 2007 I would be selling OO...that's how much things have changed.

Now the good news! ---- I am officially a fully dedicated and passionate GA collector! Batman will not disapoint me! I have a new GA website being developed, have changed my eBay 'about me' page, which now shows Suspense 3 instead of The Yellow Kid, and I am very happy. In just 1 year I have accumulated some really nice, high demand GA books, and this buying will increase next year due to a career advancing "job" change I have made just this month. Plus what the heck....it's only money (thumbs u

Steve

Don't you need to get permission from the seller to bid if you just have one feedback? Or is that only if you have just one feedback and you win, but not if you have just one feedback and schill the price up 5 or 6 grand. Who's the seller?

The seller is solid.Im sure there was no funny business.

Don't you need to get permission from the seller to bid if you just have one feedback? Or is that only if you have just one feedback and you win, but not if you have just one feedback and schill the price up 5 or 6 grand. Who's the seller?

So am I, there's no way the seller would be involved, I was thinking of grudge bidding and things like that.

So am I, there's no way the seller would be involved, I was thinking of grudge bidding and things like that.

Thanks for clearing that up.

You're welcome, Anytime. (thumbs u

You're welcome, Anytime. (thumbs u

I was being serious.I was going to give you the thumbs up but dont know how.

Slightly enbarassed Dennis