• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daytona Beach Comic and Toy Show Nov. 18

52 posts in this topic

Floating head(s):

1) a deliberate Marvel Comics’ editorial technique (thank you Roy Thomas) of the high Bronze age designed to boost sales of a particular title via the pasting-up of the separate art of any number of marquee character’s heads & faces over the original cover art of a particular issue of said title, inadvertently creating the impression that those heads & faces are disembodied and/or floating in & around the main action of the cover proper.

2) the appearance behind a row of long boxes at a comic book convention of a booth jockey solely from the chin up, creating the impression that said booth jockey’s head & face is floating and/or disembodied.

img204.jpg

img754.jpg

lol Floating heads! :headbang: Although I still don't like floating heads on covers. The more I see those covers the less I like the concept of Bronze Age floating heads. They should bring it back in New Avengers or something and see what the reaction would be just for fun. Booth jockey is a good term too. What's even funnier is that the abbreviation for that is BJ. Almost as good as DBM.

I have got to say I am blown away that this show with a 50 person customer attendance has garnered a monster thread going, while the Florida Supercon coming up will break 50 times that in attendance and I could not get a nibble of response on that thread. Note, I am not the promoter for that show I just set up.... No biggie, just seems weird to me.

I forgot to show everyone my lone purchase at the show

lol OUTSTANDING PICK-UP!!

Maybe it would waterdown the brand in the long term & be a bad move for CGC, but I think they should consider offering novelty labels for a premium. Say, $100 for a DBM label rather than the mundane 10.0. Haven't we all seen enough 10.0's? Ooooooo, gem mint: so yesterday. DBM BABY!!

DBM is a new term, just related to me by KOR & which he picked up from MCMiles who in turn heard it from a Tampa show regular last week, meaning "dead balls mint".

You Floridians are a wild and crazy bunch :kidaround: