• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG just contacted me about the forum controversy

81 posts in this topic

If u break the Avengers 4 out of the CGG case, u will find that the bottom staple in the centerfold is elongated. I sent the book to Susan C. to be cleaned & pressed over 10 years ago. This specific raw Avengers 4 was shown to both Brad Savage, NY & Bechara Maalouf, Boston at San Diego Comic-con about 10 years ago. YES, I can specifically identify this copy with the date stamp placement on the top front cover. news.gif

OT: Brad used to have literally dozens of copies of Avengers 4. He was a real advocate for that book back in the day.

YES, I can specifically identify this copy with the date stamp placement on the top front cover. news.gif

I looked back at that old post and I couldn't find anywhere where anyone posted a scan of the book prior to it being in the CGG case...which isn't surprising, most people toss scans of books they no longer own.

How can you be so sure the date stamp is the same? Are you recalling it from memory? I would tend to remember the general appearance of a date stamp but would forget things like the angle it slopes at, exact color, whether the year was there or just the month/day, and probably many characteristics of the font style.

Plus, an easy way to check if a book has been dismantled and cleaned is by checking the centerfold staple section. The staple prongs never match up with the indentations.

(hmmmm - trying reply a second time - first did not stick)

Actually, if done properly, the process can be undetectable. It is only when the staples are put back improperly that it is detectable. Like a wig, you only notice the bad ones.

news.gifas much as greggy makes me want to vomit, it's the same book. frown.gif i've seen both scans, and the date stamp is there. 893whatthe.gifpopcorn.gifnews.gif

If I was CGG, I would have just kept my mouth shut rather than trying to come up with a lame explanation further rendering their grading service as useless.

news.gifas much as greggy makes me want to vomit, it's the same book. frown.gif i've seen both scans, and the date stamp is there. 893whatthe.gifpopcorn.gifnews.gif

Did he send it via e-mail or something? If somebody sends it to me, I'll post it here, unless somebody just wants to post it themselves

I tracked this book back to the original owner, and spoke with him. He informed me that this book was from his original collection, and had owned the book since he had purchased it new. As I was familiar with this person's reputation I could believe him without hesitation.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif It was my book and odin88 confirmed it.

I forget...did you post a scan of your own of that Avengers 4? If you did, and the date stamp is exactly the same, there should be no question about this...the guy at CGG could only claim that you're lying and fabricated your story and the image if the date stamps match.

Nah...I used to never keep scans of books that I have sold. But...you know better to dispute me! sumo.gif

Plus, an easy way to check if a book has been dismantled and cleaned is by checking the centerfold staple section. The staple prongs never match up with the indentations.

Actually, if done properly, the process can be undetectable. It is only when the staples are put back improperly that it is detectable. Like a wig, you only notice the bad ones.

Prove it fool! Every single issue that I've seen done by Susan I could tell! Also, the staples always seems to interact with the paper either due to some chemical residue and there will be a light mark left by the staples. sumo.gif

Prove it fool! Every single issue that I've seen done by Susan I could tell! Also, the staples always seems to interact with the paper either due to some chemical residue and there will be a light mark left by the staples. sumo.gif

Take a chill pill, Greggy. Like I said, if it is done right you can't tell. It is that simple. As far as you're "prove it"...if you want to pay for my flight to your home town, pay for my hotel room stay and get me a few supplies like a dry mount press and a good drafting table, well I WILL prove it to you. It is not that difficult.

That "light mark" is often there BEFORE the staples are removed, Greggy. I have seen it hundreds of times in books I have experimented with. It actually helps in trying to reseat the staples so the reseating is not detected.