• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One more, PGM Detective 476

19 posts in this topic

great FC. The small dots of missing yellow in the two E's I assume were in the printing.

I'll guess 9.0, unless the yellowing of the BC looks worse in hand.

The OW is the worst that can be said of the 3 you put up tonight.

You probably stored them in an area that could get humid over the years.

Maybe next time include an interior page scan

great FC. The small dots of missing yellow in the two E's I assume were in the printing.

I'll guess 9.0, unless the yellowing of the BC looks worse in hand.

The OW is the worst that can be said of the 3 you put up tonight.

You probably stored them in an area that could get humid over the years.

Maybe next time include an interior page scan

Here's a scan of the page quality typical of the collection.

46548-scan0007resized.jpg.e513470c144d99f34909d47b4017088d.jpg

Great book, John. What is that in the last "E" in Detective? A scuff, or just a printing defect?

Boy, you've got one heckuva eye! It's a printing defect that I didn't even notice. There's also a white dot in the middle "E". Both are virutally invisible because the white blends with the yellow in "real life."

very nice book!I is that a color breaking crease LRFC ot is that in the art?

Thanks Bronzilla. I wondered about that corner when I looked at the scan so I checked, and I can't tell. The art has a line there between the gray and the black, and if there is a crease it is exactly on that line. Looking at the inside of the cover, there may be a slight crease there, but it's not clear. On the front, there's a speck of white that is suspicious.

This is exactly why I'm posting these books. I don't have much experience distinguishing between the high grades of Bronze books, and that's what a big part of my collection is. So I appreciate any help!

I will say 9.0 and assume the "crease" is actual art. And grading is very subjective. It is informative to get different opinions. (thumbs u

That's why I enjoy this section of the boards so much, all the subjective, yet informed opinions.

I'm comfortable on the lower grades, but when you start getting up around 9.0 I'm less sure. I've been going by the chart in Overstreet listing suggested number of minor defects per grade, i.e. 4-6 for 9.0, 3-4 for 9.2, 2-3 for 9.4 and 9.6. That helps a little, I guess, but there's also the issue of when a defect is too significant to be called minor.

What am I missing, I really don't see anything wrong with the book.

I agree, unless that's a tiny crease to the LRFC, it's a 9.4 . . . It's a good thing we have so many "experts" around here . . . :insane:

Well, my purpose in posting these three books was to brush up on my high end grading, but even on these there's a lot of disagreement. I guess if I've learned one thing, it's that you probably need the book in hand to get a good read, since we're talking about miniscule defects.

On the other hand, scans revealed things that I didn't even notice...

Thanks everyone!