• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.11

GA ARTISTS POLL  

237 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

83 posts in this topic

Actually come to think of it, I do not consider Wally Wood or Frank Frazetta Golden Age artists. They are predominately 1950's Atomic Age artists so to me it's down to Schomburg & Eisner. I know I may get some heat for this but Eisner is basically known for the Spirit...and not much else. He just doesn't do it for me.

West

Cap - have you actually seen much of Wood's 50's work? I am not sure how you could think his 60's stuff is better then his EC work, but maybe that's just me.

As for Eisner, he is known fo rmore then the Spirit, he is known for an amazingly gifted cinematic vision which influenced more artists after him then maybe anyone else. Sternako & Adams? Eisner before them. Toth? Eisner 1st. Hei s also one of the pioneer's of the Graphic novel.

Actually come to think of it, I do not consider Wally Wood or Frank Frazetta Golden Age artists. They are predominately 1950's Atomic Age artists so to me it's down to Schomburg & Eisner. I know I may get some heat for this but Eisner is basically known for the Spirit...and not much else. He just doesn't do it for me.

West

Blasphemy :o(tsk)

West

The stated date range for the poll included the time period up to 1956. You are free to vote as you like, but they didn't one run poll for GA and for Atomic Age.

Eisner may be "known" for the Spirit, but the more one learns about the early days of comics the more significant his contribution 1937 on becomes.

West

The stated date range for the poll included the time period up to 1956. You are free to vote as you like, but they didn't one run poll for GA and for Atomic Age.

Eisner may be "known" for the Spirit, but the more one learns about the early days of comics the more significant his contribution 1937 on becomes.

:golfclap:

I went for Wood - a classic artist, but a top-level one? I've always liked his work, but his idealized, slightly wooden (sorry, couldn't think of a better word) illos were always a little samey and lacked immediacy.

Then again, his E.C. stuff is so representative of the era. Don't think his Silver Age stuff is as good, FWIW...

Famous Funnies, EC, Thun'da, many western & some funny animal books. He actually did more than people realize. Was it Kirby-type production? No. But how many did have that type of production?

He worked regularly for Better after WWII then on to DC (Shining Knight, Tomahawk, Mystery in Space) and Magazine Entertainment with Thunda, Ghost Rider, White Indian before going on to ACG and EC with Williamson. His work with Famous Funnies started in the 40s doing interior stories and only later doing romance (some of his best work, IMHO) and his famous Buck Rogers covers. And then there's still his work at Toby with Williamson on John Wayne and other features. He never drew a superhero so those who only look at those types of comics will have a hard time finding his work but there's plenty of it out there.