• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four Favorites 30

29 posts in this topic

I hate to do this, but I got back on my four favorite horse and after some purchases realized that Four Favorites 30 is not only the last book i need to finish the run, but the collection of Ace (all 86 of them)....so if someone knows of the whereabouts, I would appreciate it......VG or better is just ducky....

oh and to justify this crass commercial plea....here is a smattering of Ace books...jon

46576-fourfav5.jpg.ba0b7a2bedcd3898d98dbe5daf7f0c3d.jpg

46577-ourflag2allentown.jpg.8f7ac0a4523a12b4958b2b1f739b35f8.jpg

46578-banner2.jpg.a923b61970d0014f25e3864058fed1ae.jpg

46579-supermys6.3.jpg.b340b4496a2dffd881138eed650eb76a.jpg

46580-lightning2.2.jpg.11051ea2b89da12db5946374b12f3be5.jpg

oh and to justify this crass commercial plea....here is a smattering of Ace books...jon

Now there's some real esoterica!

Am I seeing this cover right? The hero's lying on the ground bawling? Is that Magno or Davey? Why does he have a big capital I on his chest (you can see the bottom serif on some of the others in the run.) Is it Davy, Davey, or spelled inconsistently?

Amazing stuff. Good luck finishing the set.

Jack

46579-supermys6.3.jpg

Now there's some real esoterica!

Am I seeing this cover right? The hero's lying on the ground bawling? Is that Magno or Davey? Why does he have a big capital I on his chest (you can see the bottom serif on some of the others in the run.) Is it Davy, Davey, or spelled inconsistently?

Amazing stuff. Good luck finishing the set.

Jack

46579-supermys6.3.jpg

I think it is a bid T on his chest. Perhaps it stands for Tearful? Or Tear-Man? (shrug)

It's Davey and it's not a letter on his costume. It's a design. Here's a close-up with Davey facing their usual nemesis, The Clown. Not necessarily a cheerful bad guy as you'll note in the second set of panels :o -

46593-Davey-CloseUp.jpg.d19b225f58762ca331fa6ab1da84a025.jpg

46594-Clown-CloseUp.jpg.da9fbd6cafbcfed9616fc91fc3294990.jpg

Sorry for the mix-up. In the panel in the post above, it's obviously Magno. Here's a close-up of Davey with the same symbol on his costume ( :gossip: even though there are plenty of panels where the artist or the colorist didn't care to show the symbol ... Ahhh, GA quality control :cloud9:) -

46595-DaveyTrue.jpg.b98282454893ba71731cb547a2555c41.jpg

Sorry for the mix-up. In the panel in the post above, it's obviously Magno. Here's a close-up of Davey with the same symbol on his costume ( :gossip: even though there are plenty of panels where the artist or the colorist didn't care to show the symbol ... Ahhh, GA quality control :cloud9:) -

Thanks for the info.

There's a Magno and Davey story from (I think) Super-Mystery Comics Vol. 4 No. 5 on-line. Apparently Magno's and Davey's costumes were identical. In fact, if they aren't both in a panel for comparison, it's virtually impossible to tell which one you're looking at. Very confusing! It didn't take long for DC to figure out that Flash and Kid Flash needed different costumes.

Here's a page that shows why I thought the symbol was a capital I. Classic "did he really say that" dialog in the first panel, and lots of chemistry nonsense in the story! Art by Tony DiPreta.

Jack

46596-9fourp7.jpg

[Apparently Magno's and Davey's costumes were identical. In fact, if they aren't both in a panel for comparison, it's virtually impossible to tell which one you're looking at. Very confusing!

Correct. That's what got me. I do find The Clown to be one of the worst villains visually-speaking, esp. when handled by a lesser artist ... it can lead to some very painful panels such as this one -

46597-Clown-Many.jpg.4aaad1a05147cef8428b5c0892d83d85.jpg

[Apparently Magno's and Davey's costumes were identical. In fact, if they aren't both in a panel for comparison, it's virtually impossible to tell which one you're looking at. Very confusing!

Correct. That's what got me. I do find The Clown to be one of the worst villains visually-speaking, esp. when handled by a lesser artist ... it can lead to some very painful panels such as this one -

I see. The Clown wasn't exactly bursting with orginality either as a costumed villain either, was he? Judging from Magno's and Davey's shtick, that's The Clown and his sidekicks Billy, Jimmy, Johnny, Timmy and Sneezy, right?

Jack

46597-Clown-Many.jpg

The Clown wasn't exactly bursting with orginality either as a costumed villain either, was he?

While the following guy is no Joker, he sure is a Clown (origin appearance from the remarkably interesting pocket-sized Spitfire Comics 1, August '41):

000_0146.jpg

And next up, our intrepid hero cleverly manages to juggle his way out of a tight situation:

000_0148.jpg

For better or worse, I just love the Golden Age!

The Clown wasn't exactly bursting with orginality either as a costumed villain either, was he?

While the following guy is no Joker, he sure is a Clown (origin appearance from the remarkably interesting pocket-sized Spitfire Comics 1, August '41):

000_0146.jpg

And next up, our intrepid hero cleverly manages to juggle his way out of a tight situation:

000_0148.jpg

For better or worse, I just love the Golden Age!

Great kwality kontrol to.

"I can't breath... Morpheous..."

Looking at GCD for art and writer credits for the story (neither there), I had to laugh (appropriately) at the cast of this story:

Character appearances:

I & O: The Clown (Nick Nolan); V: Harry Judd, Moore, Repulsive Mike, Stinky Jones, Dopey (I for all)

Good ol' Repulsive Mike and Stinky Jones.

And this jumped out at me:

[Origin of the Fly-Man]

(Sequence 3 - Story , 10 pages )

Feature Story: Fly-Man

Credits:

? (-script), Sam Glanzman (Pencils), Sam Glanzman (Inks),

Character appearances:

I & O: The Fly-Man (Clip Foster); I: Dr. Foster (D); V: Billy Banks (I) and his gang (I; two D)

I didn't know that there was an earlier Fly-Man -- by Glanzman no less! Any resemblance to the later Archie/Radio hero? Any chance of a peek at the story?

Thanks,

Jack

Any chance of a peek at the story?

Ask and ye shall receive (and it's a good one):

000_0100.jpg

Thanks for the quick service!

He sure looks like the Golden Age Atom. Which one came first? But he size-shifts like Doll Man from the looks of the splash panel.

"A young lad from the hills of Kentucky... in Nadison Square Garden." HAW! Is his dialog written with a hillbilly accent?

Jack