• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10/21 Boston Comic Con Report

18 posts in this topic

Here is my wicked lame-o con report.

Got my arse out of bed at 4:30, loaded up the vehicle, and took off. Stopped, picked up ice coffee and muffins. Took off again. As I came into the city, the sun was coming up on the Prudential building (cue romantic music). Got to the loading dock at 6:45am in lovely downtown Boston after a whopping commute of approximately 18 full minutes. Found a number of people already unloading thier wares, did the same.

Poked around the show floor about before it started, stumbled across some nice mid-70s Archies at the only table I actually took the time to look through. Bought some books. Showed them to silverandbronze when he got there and got to watch him :frustrated: all day every time I saw him. Taunted him with the pile all day.

I was set up next to my buddy Larry from Larry's Wonderful World of comics, one of the most entertaining men in the business.

Show opened, floor was steady/busy all day sold all sorts of stuff from GA (Superboy #5/ECs/misc)., lots of SA/BA and many many Bargain Bin books.

Got to see some boarders there:

Pontoon (more on THAT character later :baiting:)

silverandbronze(previously mentioned)

ckb(showed up 5 minutes before the show started. Ok, maybe not)

bedrockcomics (show promotor)

nik (Greece's finest ambassador)

comicartfan (with his portfolio-cool stuff!)

drummy( met for the 1st time, saw some pieces of his originalartwork as well!)

DNAgent (and his lovely fiance)

another boarder who I will not mention by name (and his lovely wife)

Red Hook (whoops, away on a mental health day)

I know Pontoon was looking for Jeffro, I don't think I saw him (was looking forward to meeting him as well!)

There was a lot of activity and not much drama. Well, until about 3pm or so. There was a kid(20 or thereabouts) who was hanging around our corner of the room for a long time(hour or so?) going through some of my bargain Bin books, hopping to a nearby table, back to my books. The guys across from me(Comically Speaking) had pointed him out to me to keep an eye on him as they suspected he was up to something. I was already aware of him, his repeated furtive glances to see if someone was watching him was an obvious giveaway and I kept him in my field of vision to see what he might be up to. He popped across the aisle and bought a couple of $1 books from a dealer, came back to my table and put the books down on top of a complete set of Fantasy Masterpieces #1-14**. As he poked through my boxes again, he kept reaching over and sliding his books and the set underneath closer to him, all the while nervously glancing up to see if he was being watched. Finally, as I waiting to see what would happen, the dealer(big burly tattooed guy) from across the aisle came over to him and said "Dude, I catch you stealing something and I'm going to drop you right there." The kid just about crapped hisself and stammered "What are you talking about?" as he grabbed his books and backed away from the table. There was an exchange of words, the kid then scuttled away and immediately left the show floor.

I understand Steranko was busy and very cordial all day, lots of people were hanging out in the artist areas. As the show came to a close I pulled a couple of books from the Archies that I wanted to keep and went over to Paul and worked out trade/cash deal(see Speed Buggy in the "This Week.." thread). Packed up and took off to dinner.

End of Part Uno

**All day people came up to me to buy the set, I would ask if they realized that they reprinted the Silver Surfer issues and were not the original 1960s books. Every one of them thought they getting the #1-14 of the original series for $40. doh!

Here's a tip: Load the vehicle the night before. Then you can be a lazy- and sleep until 5:30, like me.

:kidaround:

I was set up next to my buddy Larry from Larry's Wonderful World of comics, one of the most entertaining men in the business.

Are you entertained by torturing small furry animals????? lol Nails scraping a chalkboard??? :jokealert:

There was a lot of activity and not much drama. Well, until about 3pm or so. There was a kid(20 or thereabouts) who was hanging around our corner of the room for a long time(hour or so?) going through some of my bargain Bin books, hopping to a nearby table, back to my books. The guys across from me(Comically Speaking) had pointed him out to me to keep an eye on him as they suspected he was up to something. I was already aware of him, his repeated furtive glances to see if someone was watching him was an obvious giveaway and I kept him in my field of vision to see what he might be up to. He popped across the aisle and bought a couple of $1 books from a dealer, came back to my table and put the books down on top of a complete set of Fantasy Masterpieces #1-14**. As he poked through my boxes again, he kept reaching over and sliding his books and the set underneath closer to him, all the while nervously glancing up to see if he was being watched. Finally, as I waiting to see what would happen, the dealer(big burly tattooed guy) from across the aisle came over to him and said "Dude, I catch you stealing something and I'm going to drop you right there." The kid just about crapped hisself and stammered "What are you talking about?" as he grabbed his books and backed away from the table. There was an exchange of words, the kid then scuttled away and immediately left the show floor

sad that this is necessary these days....

CAL :(

Here is my wicked lame-o con report.

Pontoon (more on THAT character later :baiting:)

Let me save you the trouble: :boo:

I already spammed Chris' report so I see no reason to stop there! Having forgot my camera, I can't really prepare a decent report. But it was a swell show that I wish happened more often. Power Man didn't make this one, but a sultry Catwoman and a Batman who obviously enjoyed his carbohydrates were in attendance. I witnessed Steranko's gravity-defying hair, and Carbonaro’s Tom Baker-style scarf. I saw many little tykes. And skirts. And cleavage. :cloud9:

Yea verily, I say this about the Boston Comic Con: (thumbs u

Very nice report Andrew, it was only mildly lame-o. Question, why did you refer to Bob Storms, as "a big burly tattooed guy" (shrug)

And I am surprised you and the other dealer didn't actually let the kid walk off with those books, then drop the hammer on him. Sounds like it made for some brief entertainment though.

Ze-

another boarder who I will not mention by name (and his lovely wife)

I heard she was just a call-girl who he rented for the day anyway.

Finally, as I waiting to see what would happen, the dealer(big burly tattooed guy) from across the aisle came over to him and said "Dude, I catch you stealing something and I'm going to drop you right there." The kid just about crapped hisself and stammered "What are you talking about?" as he grabbed his books and backed away from the table. There was an exchange of words, the kid then scuttled away and immediately left the show floor.

Yeah, I wouldn't have facked with that guy!

sad that this is necessary these days....

CAL :(

THESE days?

I don't recall the amount of troubles in the '70's - 80's...

when the psycho crowd caught up to the true hobbysists the stalkers/wanna-be's found their new batch of prey...

CAL 2c