• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.12

GA ARTISTS POLL  

273 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

78 posts in this topic

And I think that will be the nail in the coffin for whoever you decide to give the boot.

Their styles are so different.

I personally think Eisner's style epitomizes what a comic book is to me, but I love fantasy and sci fi stuff so much that my personal taste leans towards Frazetta. In the end I am still not sure which side of the fence I am going to fall on.

Ze-

Well, I still prefer Frazetta...but I love Eisner, too...and if you are looking for Science Fiction...I never realized he did this cover, till I just saw it on a bin, on Ebay (not this particular one, this is mine, theirs is in decent shape;))

planet3-1.jpg

I also feel that Frazetta's art stood the test of time better than Eisner's. If you saw both today with fresh eyes and did not know who drew what, Frazetta would win imo. Eisner's art looks dated somehow although some still look great. Most of Frazetta's feels timeless so perhaps he should be best overall artist rather than just GA artist. :shrug: lol don't mind me

Could it be that Eisner was illustrating contemporary stories, i.e., his characters and stories are firmly grounded in the 1940's and 1950's which, of course, by now, give them a dated look? In contrast, Frazetta's illustrations we've showcased are stories of the idealized West or a distant future. Either way, they can't be "dated" as much as Eisner's since both genres aren't tied down to a specific time period with its specific issues. There are in fact many GA artists whose art is clearly dated but I would never have put Eisner in that group.

Totally agree. "Dated" is not a word I would ever have associated with Eisner. As I said earlier, some of the drawings that were reproduced above would not have looked out of place in one of Steranko`s Captain Americas or Nick Furys, which epitomized late 60s pop art comic book style.

Adam Strange and others have tried to point out the fact that Frazetta did a great deal of work before the Atom Age, but no one seems to be listening. Many people seem to think that Frazetta's work in comics consists of some Buck Rogers covers and a few EC stories (all of which count for purposes of this contest, BTW) but he had a pretty solid output before the Atom Age as well - it just wasn't high-profile stuff (i.e. it wasn't superheroes). But since anecdotal comments don't seem to be enough to shake this misconception of Frazetta as an Atom Age-only artist, I went to GCD and and starting counting.

According to GCD:

Frazetta is credited as penciler, inker or both on 297 pages BEFORE 1950! :sumo:

That doesn't seem like a lot of work... (shrug)

Put me solidly in the Frazetta camp. Eisner's output and influence may have been greater, but I'm voting solely on whose art I prefer, and with that simple criteria it's an easy call.

If you haven't seen the other thread started by Comicdey, there's some jaw-dropping Frazetta art posted in there.

As Bangzoom pointed out, at some point the wording used to be:

I believe until this round the instructions at the start of every round was, "VOTE OFF YOUR LEAST FAVORITE ARTISTS."

Now it's the Best Artist.

The reason I emphasized "LEAST FAVORITE" was because a couple of voters voted for their FAVORITE artist. The poll was intetended for a voter's choice of best/favorite artist (using whatever criteria) to remain, not to be eliminated. I needed to make that point crystal clear to all. If we do a SA series, it'll be for your favorite SA artist so there's no confusion (thumbs u

I hope Kirby will return in the SA competition.

It wouldn't be a proper SA list without him (thumbs u

I owuldn't even bother to add him to the list. He's the obvious top choice. everyone else will be playing for second anyway. :grin:

I owuldn't even bother to add him to the list. He's the obvious top choice. everyone else will be playing for second anyway. :grin:

Maybe I should just have his name on the list, since he'll be the eventual winner hm

Maybe I should just have his name on the list, since he'll be the eventual winner hm

If Neal Adams is listed for SA, then Kirby might get a run for his money on these boards ...

If Neal Adams is listed for SA, then Kirby might get a run for his money on these boards ...

Kirby's my man 100%, but I could easily see a real close race between him and Adams on the boards.

There's a couple of names I'm not sure should be in a SA list as they're more identified with BA: Neal Adams & John Buscema. Both got their start in the SA, but the majority of their work is BA. Thoughts?

Adams already altered the look of DC in the SA by doing so many covers for them, so definately he belongs. His most influential years are 1967-1972, so that puts half of his output in the SA.

Thanks, Matt. I started another thread about the SA list so as not to hijack this one.

This is over & decided without the vote tally.

Frazetta is the better "artist".

Eisner the better "storyteller"; hence, the better "comics artist".

First L.B. Cole and now Schomburg ...I'm boycotting the last round :frustrated:

We'll miss you so!

On the other hand, I've been voting Schomburg for several rounds. I'm much happier to see Frazetta and Eisner face off.

Jack

poor ol' Walt Kelly *SNIF*