• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scratching my head over the OA to Wolvie 55 variant cover

12 posts in this topic

Wolverine 55 Variant Cover Greg Land

Was looking at this auction and even though this is one of my favorite covers to come out this year, the OA is less a bit disappointing. I don't understand why the art did not extend all the way to the bleed lines, or they included the stat. Every once in a while you see a cover like this, it really diminishes the OA in my opinion.

OH, and the lack of lettering on modern computer lettered stuff bugs me. That cover would have been sweet if someone took the time to print out the cover & archivally tacked it on. Obviously, he is going to sell the cover for a ton of cash, It wouldn't have been that tough to spend an extra few minutes to make it look like the cover.

But think of all the money you can save by purchasing it as is and making your own stats.

I would be entirely too lazy. I haven't even unpacked 90% of my things from college and I graduated in May. :( Not to mention I want to get all my art framed. I have 5 pieces and not one is framed. :eek:

Certainly not as cool as the finished cover. As others have mentioned, it could be a "bargain" if the buyer made an acetate overlay with all the titling/lettering.

I agree that if the cover had all the stats, it would go for "way more".

But that's the thing - there are no stats.

All that stuff is done digitally now. The only reason to create them is for the after market so collectors can have the "finished" cover up on their wall.

Personally - while I love the look of a page or cover complete with word balloons and corner boxes, etc – I've got no problem buying art without it.

EDIT: Though I just looked up the final cover on the net. I've got to agree - I'd recreate all the stats to go with this one. :grin:

I've got a bunch of art that is sans word ballons, so that doesn't bother me as a general rule.

However, part of the cool factor of this cover is the swipe of not only the image, but the EC logo/word balloons.

Edit: Missed your edit before I typed the above. :grin:

I marked this one down as a favorite to revisit later when I stumbled upon it last night on ebay. My initial thoughts were the same, wow, that is a lot of coin for something that is missing a lot of the mystique of the actual cover.

Be interesting to see if the reserve is met or not...

However, part of the cool factor of this cover is the swipe of not only the image, but the EC logo/word balloons.

something towards this part of the cover would of been of been a much better selling point, as it is you do have the feeling your only getting have the cover - quite lieterally.

:P