• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: So if I were to write the next Superman movie...

147 posts in this topic

something happens and the kid dies.
The kid can't die unless the entire movie is wrapped around that as the central event of the story. You can't trivialize something with that sort of emotional impact. It will shout louder than the rest of the story you are trying to tell.

But Brainiac sent as a computer to help baby Kal is a good idea. Maybe Brainiac was supposed to follow in a second rocket but Krypton exploded before it could get far enough away. Brainiac's rocket was damaged (knocked off course too) and his self-repair functions rebuilt him...differently. He's a learning machine, a teacher, but his lessons are self-taught and wrong...amoral even. Brainiac would come to Earth seeking out Kal El because that's who he's supposed to teach, but oh what lessons he has in store. Brainiac's rocket could have picked up stragglers and parts on its way to Earth a lot like vger in the first Trek film. Maybe in this new continuity that would be created Brainiac collects Doomsday from whatever world along the way and B brings him with him as a servant. Brainiac is responsible for shrinking Kandor in the first place so that could somehow tie in, maybe Kal's parents virtualized the city for Kal and put it in the machine, who knows? Pieces of this could actually work...

something happens and the kid dies.
The kid can't die unless the entire movie is wrapped around that as the central event of the story. You can't trivialize something with that sort of emotional impact. It will shout louder than the rest of the story you are trying to tell.

Agreed. I like his son's body breaking down from the Supers/Lois DNA and bringing Brainiac into it that way. Bring on Bizarro Superman/Solomon Grundy!

I dont like the alien invasion ideas -- it would look like an FF2 ripoff. Not to us, but to the movie reviewers and public.

I'm not too concerned with that comparison. With FF2, you only had the herald of Galactus and Galactus, which translated to the Silver Surfer and a big ugly cloud. If I include aliens in a Supes -script, it would be teaming hordes of aliens, perhaps easy for Supes to take down, but in such large numbers that they distract him from stopping Braniac from hatching his nefarious plan.

just ignore the kid! what was there in Suprman Returns WORTH building upon???

Of course there wasn't anything worth building on, but the movie is too recent to just ignore everything that happened and start over again IMO. We are stuck with Superman's child.

I like a lot of the ideas so far. Here's my stab. :shy:

At the beginning of the film...directly after a rip-roaring action sequence, natch!...Superman's kid lays dying. Maybe something to do with the combination of human & Kryptonian DNA, yada yada, maybe not. The film is about some kind of last-ditch quest Superman is on to save him, which will somehow tie into having to defeat the major villain of the film. (I'm thinking something along the lines of ASM #30-33, when Aunt May lays dying and you see a side of Spidey not seen before.)

Then you're actually building on what the last film started, and giving the audience a chance to relate to Supes...he's more driven and more motivated by the fear his kid is going to die...maybe he's edgier and less of a boy scout in trying to take down the villain, and maybe he makes a crucial mistake somewhere along the way. Plus (free bonus!) the kid will be essentially "out of the picture" for the vast majority of the picture.

Just a shot. :whistle:

thats an angle I was touching on too. Keep Superman so busy with minor threats and fights that you dont have to weaken him (take away his powers) to keep him from stopping the villain. A goosechase. And it leads to lots of Superman in Action scenes...

But what I meant by FF2 comparisons is a Hollywood thing. Hard to make a successful pitch that sounds like last years movie plot. Unless theres a killer "hook" why YOUR idea takes it ten steps further. Un fortunately your pitch must get inside these guys heads, and they are coming at it from a different place than you/we are. You're also not a top name talent known to them. Your same ideas coming from a Peter Jackson would sould a heckuva lot better.

At the beginning of the film...directly after a rip-roaring action sequence, natch!...Superman's kid lays dying. Maybe something to do with the combination of human & Kryptonian DNA, yada yada, maybe not. The film is about some kind of last-ditch quest Superman is on to save him, which will somehow tie into having to defeat the major villain of the film. (I'm thinking something along the lines of ASM #30-33, when Aunt May lays dying and you see a side of Spidey not seen before.)

Then you're actually building on what the last film started, and giving the audience a chance to relate to Supes...he's more driven and more motivated by the fear his kid is going to die...maybe he's edgier and less of a boy scout in trying to take down the villain, and maybe he makes a crucial mistake somewhere along the way. Plus (free bonus!) the kid will be essentially "out of the picture" for the vast majority of the picture.

I like the tone of your ideas. The edgier Supes, the quest to heal his son.

I also like the idea of Braniac being a protector of baby Kal-El, but ending up off-course and never made it to Earth...until now...and with damaged programming. Now Supes entrusts his son's recovery to Braniac, who has other plans.

cool. thats the first half. and Supes messed up somewhere and causes the threat that appears n the second half. And the rejuvenated kid saves Supes, and maybe, dies in the effort and is placed in Phantom Zone at the end so he doesnt really die. Ends with Supes smiling at the night sky and the kid's Zone ghostly image smiling back.

hey! what if the kid was fathered by someone impersonating Supes!! then the kid could stay in the picture because he ISNT Supes kid. Maybe he;s.... ZODs kid!!!!!!!!!!

badabing! where di I pick up my check??

Have the kid discover Gold Kryptonite. On to the next problem

lol

In all seriousness, though, I doubt the studio would go for the kid being killed off. Put him in a hospital bed for the whole movie, sure. But killing off a little boy is too dark for this movie.

Have the kid discover Gold Kryptonite. On to the next problem

lol

In all seriousness, though, I doubt the studio would go for the kid being killed off. Put him in a hospital bed for the whole movie, sure. But killing off a little boy is too dark for this movie.

well Gold K wouldn't kill 'em, just strip him of his powers permanatly,.. but I think any and all forms of Kryptonite should sit the next movie out.

well Gold K wouldn't kill 'em, just strip him of his powers permanatly,.. but I think any and all forms of Kryptonite should sit the next movie out.
Yeah, no more Kryptonite. Just have the kid's human DNA consume his Kryptonian DNA. If you have to have him in the hospital make his chimeric genes cause an autoimmune disease.

Well, not consume but outreproduce.

wouldnt it be the other way around? wouldnt the "mutant"/"superior alien" genes wipe out the poor weak human genes?

Heres a new angle (I think). Supermans body came from Krypton. And its structured pretty much exactly as ours are: cells, membranes, etc When he got here, he was powered up to superhuman levels by our yellow sun etc. So if he is built like us and we are each host to billions of germs, bacteria and other similar organisms, what about the billions of microbes and bacteria living in HIS mouth etc etc that "came along for the ride, as it were"? Wouldnt they be "superhuman organisms here on earth too?/ Wouldnt every exhale of KalEl release unstoppable germs into our atmosphere that grow stronger under our sun?

What could kill them??

I dont recall there ever being a story like that. Kryptonian germs have shown up and hurt Superman before, but never threatened us. And just killing a few off wouldnt help because there are BILLIONS of them in Superman alone!

just a thought.

hey, that was a good one! like Swamp thing when he found out he wasnt Alec Holland, rather a plie of plant life that THOUGHT it was Alec Holland.

and yeah, its is kinda skeevy thinking what lives on us and in us. We are all just a collection of living parts that think we are who we think we are.