• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Foxing Thread

82 posts in this topic

Just in case anyone was wondering how difficult it would be to find pov's restoration detection post, check the fifth result here ...

Google Search: comic book restoration

Not just mine! Everyone who contributed! Sweet!!!!!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Oh yeah - it also seems to be a "permanent link" as in "as long as it's a permanent link to a document you created". frown.gif

I honestly can't believe the lengths you guys will go to in trying to "catch me" in something. POV was hammering a USENET FAQ, I told him to provide a link to his FAQ and I'd apologize....

And because I neglected to repeat the unneeded "USENET" part, you ninnies are all up in arms and calling for my head? I had better watch my use of pronouns, as under your astute tutelage, it, he, she, they, etc. could mean ANYTHING!

Someone needs to get a life, and it ain't me.

I honestly can't believe the lengths you guys will go to in trying to "catch me" in something. POV was hammering a USENET FAQ, I told him to provide a link to his FAQ and I'd apologize....

And because I neglected to repeat the unneeded "USENET" part, you ninnies are all up in arms and calling for my head? I had better watch my use of pronouns, as under your astute tutelage, it, he, she, they, etc. could mean ANYTHING!

Someone needs to get a life, and it ain't me.

Thgank you for your response. It is appreciated.

So the rule is, unless you've done the exact same thing that you're commenting on you're not allowed to comment on it? Is that how this works?

If it's something simple like a FAQ then yes. If you purport to be an expert on writing and laugh at others spelling and grammar, then be prepared to eat it if yours ain't up to snuff.

On the other hand, if someone cuts up a $100 million movie, then it's pretty simplistic to take them to task on not making a movie when they have no opportunity or cash. That's classic simpleton thought for geeks.

For someone rattling on about how bad a USENET FAQ is, it's important to realize its within the reach of any "expert" with a PC and fingers. It's all relative.

For someone rattling on about how bad a USENET FAQ is, it's important to realize its within the reach of any "expert" with a PC and fingers. It's all relative.

It's funny that you belittle FAQs and, in turn, the guy you were originally defending, by putting "expert" in quotes.

It's funny that you belittle FAQs and, in turn, the guy you were originally defending, by putting "expert" in quotes.

::sigh:: -It is a symptom of a greater problem. frown.gif

Actually, I was referring to POV with the "expert" comment, as should be patently obvious to anyone who made it past Grade 3.

I honestly can't believe the lengths you guys will go to in trying to "catch me" in something.

Your self-centeredness is absolutely astounding. Everything's about you...your position on a debate changes based upon whether you believe you're "winning" or not...and if you're called on any underdeveloped opinion or hypocricy--which we're all guilty of from time to time--you defend your original position vigorously and endlessly by completely ignoring any and all debate points which there is no legitimate response to. That last point particularly is what makes you worth debating only up to the point where you dive off the deep edge into a pit of ego.

Most of us attack you when you're attacking somebody else unfairly. Not because we like to gang up on you, but because we're sick of you attacking other people, organizations, and companies (CGC, Overstreet, Avi Arad, comic creators, etc) with unreserved negative criticism. Stop being an arrogant [!@#%^&^] at other people and groups, and you won't get scrutinized so closely.

The irony of the direction this thread has gone in is that it resulted from you MIS-accusing Povertyrow of the exact same kind of criticism that you repetitively direct at others.

I can't speak for everyone, but I get the impression from the people you characterize as the "bum buddy group" that we all like you and your opinions, we just hate it when you act like a and wish you wouldn't do it...but we just can't seem to get you to stop!!!

You know following all that Usnet [#@$%!!!] hooplah my "guide" has been here as well. Apparantly the site owner was looking about in this thread and asked if I would allow it there. I toned it down, eliminated some of the express how-to stuff and it has been there a year or more.

Take Your Usenet FAQ and...

bumpit.gif

Mainly since I am wondering what the latest is on whether a book with foxing will contaminate other books or not.

I purchased a book recently only to discover it has more foxing than I'd normally have liked. It is a bit of a rarity (tho' not that old) and the seller has offered a discount if I choose to keep it. Still, I don't want to have this good deal come back and bite me later... makepoint.gif

FFB references an article by Tracey Heft. Tracey's article is good, but it does seem a bit alarmist as it essentially makes any book with foxing seem like it has the bubonic plague and needs to be treated as if it was radioactive.

In my personal experience, and from all the anecdotal evidence I've heard from longtime GA collectors with numerous books with foxing, it will not spread if the books are stored properly (sealed in comic bags in a cool, dry place.)

The only times I've ever heard about foxing developing (or possibly spreading) is when books were stored unprotected in humid, warm conditions.