• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

to the early 70's born.....

35 posts in this topic

just curious since a lot of us seem to go after older books, what year was your first overstreet & what do you think started the interest in older books? for me i got the 1984 OS and it was all the great horror covers right off the bat. I was into HOM & HOS and the like, so of course when i saw those older scarier looking books i was hooked! I bought my first EC at age 10! There was also a book called "collecting comic books" or something by maria leach that had an early impact on me in '83 or '84 did anyone else see that? Finally in '84 i got this comic collecting kit through Sears for christmas that came with the OS, a box, bags & boards & some back issues, that sealed me up as a collector pretty much.

First OS: 2002 Big Book smile.gif

Interest in old (bronze) books: Defenders 14...

Interest in big $$$ bronze books: Intro to this Forum and all the Have a Cigar threads showing off excellent covers - and equally impressive memorable plots summarized by forumites.

It's been downhill from there.

just curious since a lot of us seem to go after older books, what year was your first overstreet & what do you think started the interest in older books? for me i got the 1984 OS and it was all the great horror covers right off the bat. I was into HOM & HOS and the like, so of course when i saw those older scarier looking books i was hooked! I bought my first EC at age 10! There was also a book called "collecting comic books" or something by maria leach that had an early impact on me in '83 or '84 did anyone else see that? Finally in '84 i got this comic collecting kit through Sears for christmas that came with the OS, a box, bags & boards & some back issues, that sealed me up as a collector pretty much.

I think that was my first OS grading guide as well! That was the one with Katy Keene on the front cover, correct? I still have that guide!

I'm going to say its 1976 or 1977 for my first Overstreet (still have it at home).

I was actually a dealer at a local convention when I was 13. I think the table cost was $15 and I sold $45 worth of books (I was happy). I've never been a "dealer" since.

I love EC's, L.B.Cole covers, Atlas books because the covers were in a lot of O/S pictures.

Of course I also love Marvel because that's what I read.

First Overstreet bought? The Wally Wood EC cover! (1978 was it?) Though the EC article now seems more superficial then when I first read it (100% new information for me way back when), I do think the editorial content of Overstreet annual needs to be kicked up a notch. This one, the JSA one (#3, I believe, and purchased off eBay just within the last couple of years) with the Jerry Bails article, and the later Gary Carter Silver Age DC issue are standouts.

Finally in '84 i got this comic collecting kit through Sears for christmas that came with the OS, a box, bags & boards & some back issues, that sealed me up as a collector pretty much.

Whoa! Flashback time! I remember that kit! The OS wasn't the true Overstreet, but some flimsy pamphlet-like POS which contained only a fraction of the data. The box wasn't a true comic box either, but did have some cool illustrations on it; and the bags were more like Saran Wrap! Did you get a Shazam #1 and/or a Luke Cage Hero For Hire #1 with it? Lousy overstock dealer hoards ....

Ah, memories ....

To answer your initial question: My first true Overstreet was 1987. As for what started my interest in older books? Two words: "Headlight" and "Cover" (. )( .) insane.gif

Alan

yeah thts the kit! I did get the overstreet too that christmas, but maybe my mom bought that seperate? I would love to find one of those printed boxes again! The books i remember in the kit were X-men #150, Richard Dragon Kung Fu Fighter #3?, Tarzan(marvel) #2, DC comics presents #?(supes & firestorm i think), & Marvel Two in One #64(Started my Death Adder obsession) maybe more will come to me...

Another kit getter right here!

I remember the bags and the box was black and white with all types of generic super characters wrapped around it. It was designed to look like comic panels...I remember the flimsy guide and a few of the comics. I think one of them was an E-Man, one was that First comic Mars and another was a 70s Jimmy Olsen....I also got some Red Circle books....

At the time I collected none of those and was thinking WTF?

In fact, courtesy of Chuck, here they are!

28108159002.6.gif18055045032.2.gif

51225492548.6.gif43961369274.156.gif

Nothing I collected or even heard of at that point in time!

As for my first Overstreet, it wasn't until 1993...The X-Men issue..

Hey Shiver was that maria leach book yellow? Was it real thick but extremely small, sort of like a pocket book or one of those Big Little Books?

Finally in '84 i got this comic collecting kit through Sears for christmas that came with the OS, a box, bags & boards & some back issues, that sealed me up as a collector pretty much.

Holy Cow!!! I got one of those too when I was a kid! (Although that would be more around '88 or '89 . . .)

DAM

1st Ostreet was 1976 Eisner Spirit cover. This was the 1st mass distributed Ostreet in Canada. Was choked that I had to pay over US cover price due to the exchange rate premium. Howard the Duck #1 was the hottest book on the planet. insane.gif

Oh the memories! I remember Howard the Duck #1. It was selling for around $20.00 or so and I thought that was all the money in the world at the time.

I still have a complete set of Howard the Ducks ungraded and I had to trade for the #1.

I was so freaking happy to get it.

1st Overstreet - 1988 (Superman 50th Anniversary)

Can't remember my first comic books, but I remember getting some early Peter Parker's @ a Flea Market when I was about 10-11 years old. Also picked up some MOKF's at a yard sale around that time.

Got into SA books as my uncle was the one that took me to my first shop, and those were the books he remembered having as a kid. Just replaced my FF#72 this weekend in B'more!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Chris

I think we're talking about the same one...there was section about the history of comics which really had me going all fan-boy! I remember reading about all these characters I had never heard of before...they gave a brief origin of the Spectre, about how he was killed by the mob and came back to wreck vengence...It scared the crud out of me....

I was born in 74 and my first Overstreet was #15 (1985) with Captain Marvel on the cover. I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere, but I can't find it. I wore it out and it was falling apart (literally), so it's possible it got thrown out at some point. I have found all my other old Overstreet guides except that one, so I may have lost it.... back in the day, I practically had the thing memorized.

First o/s 1998. Hard to get in oz before then plus I never really felt the need to have one.

First comics....my brothers Hawkman and Thor SA comics. Picked Hawkie as being better and have remained true to DC ever since. Also.....Phantom comics from easter show bags. Hated them and chucked them out and now I love them. 893censored-thumb.gif

First was the OS 1984 but I am pretty sure I had an "Official Guide To Comic Books" or something like that the year before. It was a pocket sized price list of maybe 20% of the books in Overstreet.

Got me collecting Master of Kung Fu and Iron Fist since I was big into martial arts (Chick Norris and Bruce Lee).