• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why does Top-Notch Comics #2 get NO respect from Overstreet?

71 posts in this topic

Well I never said I was an expert on World War II. Ask my father - he's the one that watches every single Hitler show on the History Channel. And hey, didn't A&E once have the monopoly on Hitler? smile.gif

Anyway, the Gemstone address is no secret, it's in the Guide. Gemstone Publishing, 1966 Greenspring Dr., Timonium MD 21093. Just put it to the attention of me or Tom Gordon and we're cool.

Oh, I *did* see a fascinating bio of Himmler this past weekend.

laugh.gif

Oh, our buddy, the head of the SS, and the executor of the "Final Solution". I think I've watched every show A&E and the History channel have to offer. I get some entertainment in those "What IF" books; like what if Stalin had attacked Hitler in the summer of '41 instead of the other way around?

I guess my original question still remains unanswered. If you compare the 2002 and 2003 guide, and look at the notations for Marvel Mystery #4 and Top-Notch #2, by all means the 2003 version SHOULD have Top-Notch #2 listed as the first World War II cover on a comic, but it doesn't, and that bugs me. mad.gif

I certainly understand the frustration. In our defense just please try to remember that you're focusing on this one notation which is causing you some aggravation, while we're working on *tens of thousands* of notations that make our brains hurt smile.gif. So obviously things slip through the cracks. That's why I want you to send hard copies. It leaves a paper trail so we know we have something to accomplish and we can sort it out and make the book better.

Don't worry, we'll get it right in the end. smile.gif

In our defense just please try to remember that you're focusing on this one notation which is causing you some aggravation, while we're working on *tens of thousands* of notations that make our brains hurt

Yes, but we only care about OUR notation! Don;t you know that by now? ::sheesh:: grin.gif

In our defense just please try to remember that you're focusing on this one notation which is causing you some aggravation, while we're working on *tens of thousands* of notations that make our brains hurt

Yes, but we only care about OUR notation! Don;t you know that by now? ::sheesh:: grin.gif

I cannot come to any other conclusion except for the guide showing preference to Timely comics. This isn't a notation that reads "Joker Cameo" but the first World War II cover in comics.

*knocks on microphone*

Is this thing on? smile.gif

I don't know what more I can say except "Send - It - In." This is the way it works. You mail in xeroxed copies of things - indicia, covers, whatever you wish to see corrected; we look at it; we show it to Bob; we verify that yes, the correction is called for; we fix it; we're done. There is no preference to anyone or anything. We simply never got around to this one or never knew about it or never noticed it or any of a million other things while we were trying to put together an annual guide with hundreds of thousands of comics listed.

We ask for people to send in corrections every single year, we print the address to send things to (you know, in that editorial section of the book that no one ever reads), and I just posted it here. Send it in. Eventually things get fixed.

And please leave the conspiracy theories for the whole JFK thing. Obviously we all know that Johnson and Castro were involved.

laugh.gif

*knocks on microphone*

Is this thing on? smile.gif

I don't know what more I can say except "Send - It - In." This is the way it works. You mail in xeroxed copies of things - indicia, covers, whatever you wish to see corrected; we look at it; we show it to Bob; we verify that yes, the correction is called for; we fix it; we're done. There is no preference to anyone or anything. We simply never got around to this one or never knew about it or never noticed it or any of a million other things while we were trying to put together an annual guide with hundreds of thousands of comics listed.

We ask for people to send in corrections every single year, we print the address to send things to (you know, in that editorial section of the book that no one ever reads), and I just posted it here. Send it in. Eventually things get fixed.

And please leave the conspiracy theories for the whole JFK thing. Obviously we all know that Johnson and Castro were involved.

laugh.gif

I'm not claiming this is a conspiracy theory or anything like that. I feel this is something that was ALREADY BROUGHT to Overstreet's attention just last year, hence the notation switch in the 2002/2003 guides. Even though it was just brought up recently, it still didn't list the same thing that the Marvel #4 had the year prior, which does make one wonder. Is my microphone on? Arnoldt, look, I fully understood you the first time. Send it in, it'll get corrected.

Please. Pull out the 2002 Overstreet, look up Marvel Mystery #4. Read the notation. Do the same for Top-Notch Comics #2. Pull out the 2003 guide, mix and repeat. Now tell me, doesn't this appear to be something already brought to Overstreet's attention? Your global "send it in, we'll fix it" answer doesn't cover my question. I feel someone at Overstreet has looked at those two issues exclusively side-by-side, and decided NOT to opt to list Top-Notch #2 as "First Nazi WAR cover on a comic book" like they did for Marvel Mystery #4 in 2002.

It's really easy write my claim off as a conspiracy theory, however you're dodging my very specific question. Do not confuse this with anti-Overstreet sentiments; I've read Overstreet since 1984 and buy new guides every year and will continue to do so. I quite think I've asked a legitimate question here.

Whether you want to leave out the word "conspiracy" or not, ultimately the suggestion here is that there is some motive or actual thought behind what looks to me like a very very simple streamlining of language or, horrors, human error smile.gif. It happens from time to time. We're all human beings typing this stuff in. It's very possible we put in the correction, saw that one said "swastika" and the other said "war" and said "Hey, both of these notes refer to each other, maybe they should sound alike." And so down the road of good intentions and an attempt to make things sound logical we went and wouldn't you know it, it was the wrong road to take.

That's one version. Another could be somebody just accidentally left out the war reference this time around while typing in something else. There can actually be quite a few reasons why something gets left out or put in without it being a conscious choice to obfuscate things or show preference. Sometimes we just screw up.

Now really, is there any more reason to keep talking about this specific note until we get the stuff and sort it out for next time? Nope.

And by the way, we genuinely do appreciate it when you point out things like this. It's embarrassing when things in the Guide aren't as accurate as they should be.

Now really, is there any more reason to keep talking about this specific note until we get the stuff and sort it out for next time? Nope.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here; I just want to make sure if I take my time once again to send this information to Overstreet that it won't be in vain, that's all. I'm sure you understand.

Also, I don't care if it makes this year's guide at all. I'll either give my Top-Notch #2 to my kids someday, or die with my book.

Please note that part of my "fuel" for making things correct is watching that peice on 20th century Superheroes (History Channel) and seeing no reference to MLJ, even though the sales were quite high, had the first patriotic superhero, the first death of a superhero, the first WWII cover, and a character ripped off by the X-men (the Comet). While we're at it, Captain America was forced to change his Shield as it was such a blatant ripoff of the Shield's shield (Note Cap #1 vs. Cap #2), MLJ's Black Hood was on the radio and fought a villian name the skull in 1940, way before Cap's Red Skull.

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Now I digress, but I'm just so sick of not seeing any credit given to other golden age publishers.

Since 2004 guide is probably not going to be updated, what's a good time of the year to send all documentation I have? There's a couple other things that I can prove are inaccurate, and my own admission is you'd have to be a complete MLJ fanatic to know it, so I'm not trying to cast blame on Overstreet or anything.

Thanks,

Not to contradict SHIELD on the day WWII began, but here is what the "Library of History" says:

"On September 1, the beginning of the German attack, Great Britain and France sent Hitler an ultimatum - withdraw German forces from Poland or Great Britain and France would go to war against Germany.

On September 3, with Germany's forces penetrating deeper into Poland, Great Britain and France both declared war on Germany.

World War II had begun."

It seems WWII began on the 3rd, not the 1st SHIELD.

Also, Amazing Man #9 has a swastika on the cover. Without owning any of these books, who knows what identifying marks are on the inside!?!?

Timely

Not to contradict SHIELD on the day WWII began, but here is what the "Library of History" says:

"On September 1, the beginning of the German attack, Great Britain and France sent Hitler an ultimatum - withdraw German forces from Poland or Great Britain and France would go to war against Germany.

On September 3, with Germany's forces penetrating deeper into Poland, Great Britain and France both declared war on Germany.

World War II had begun."

It seems WWII began on the 3rd, not the 1st SHIELD.

Also, Amazing Man #9 has a swastika on the cover. Without owning any of these books, who knows what identifying marks are on the inside!?!?

Timely

#1 So, Germany invading Poland on September 1st, knowingly breaking the "Western Guarantee of Polish Independence" of March, 1939, which contained protocols for Britian helping to defend Poland if it were attacked, wasn't well-known by the Germans? You're going by the day that Britain declared war as the start of the war and not the event that triggered the declaration? I never said "The war officially was declared on September 1st" but "WWII began on September 1st", which it did. Ask the POLES when World War II started. I guarantee you the border guards wouldn't tell you September 3rd, especially after being dead or captured for 2 days.

#2. I see 2 things on Amazing Man #9. A swastika, and a FEBRUARY 1940 cover date. Top-Notch #2 is JANUARY 1940. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

#3. Are you going to address the submarine comment, or just let that one slip by? Or are you going to further argue whether Germany invading Poland wasn't the start of WWII?

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif