• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is better with a modern book.......

23 posts in this topic

For an ongoing series that I've been reading for quite awhile, I'd rather have a fill-in artist than a fill-in writer. It sucked when Igor Kordey did those rush fill-in's for New X-Men but I think the book would have suffered far more if Grant Morrison were replaced for a few issues. Would you rather read Morrison/Kordey New X-Men or an imaginary Chuck Austen/Frank Quitely X-Men book?

I think a book really needs nice art to start out and really hook you into the story. To bring out an old cliche, "I come for the art, stay for the writing."

-Bob

AMAZING ART and a bad story or.......

a AMAZING STORY and horrible art?

I am not sure, because an example was the Superman story when Jim Lee was doing the art on the 12 issue run. I hated the story, but loved the art and stayed through it until the end.

On the other end...

Jonah Hex has had some amazing stories, but some terrible art. I loved the fact that they were going to tell the origin of Hex but hated the art.....again I finished the arc though.

Just wanted to hear other opinions.

I'm a story first/art second kind of guy.

Strangely, though, back in the late 80s hot artist era, the art was far more important to me - to the point where I passed on Watchmen due to the art not being flashy or detailed enough for me.

I have to go with Good art bad story. If I wanted to buy something because its a good read then I would stay with best selling novels. However a good story will keep me on a title, bad art will make me avoid it from the beginning...I do judge a book by its cover haha.