• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reason for unreal colors on Barks Duck books?

29 posts in this topic

animal5.jpg

It is almost Halloween, so this seemed like the perfect book for this discussion.

What has always struck me about Dells is the combination of thick paper stock, simple dynamic primary coloring, and the thickness of the inks. It seems like you really have to work to rub through the ink layer on an early Dell cover. Dell covers stand out in any grade, in high grade they glow.

animal5.jpg

It is almost Halloween, so this seemed like the perfect book for this discussion.

What has always struck me about Dells is the combination of thick paper stock, simple dynamic primary coloring, and the thickness of the inks. It seems like you really have to work to rub through the ink layer on an early Dell cover. Dell covers stand out in any grade, in high grade they glow.

I think that I need these for that cover :cool: Holy that is bright!

Gorgeous book, Mr. B.

I think the quality of the Dell comics historically has been one of the most overlooked factors when determining price. A high grade comic with a glossy cover and strong colors looks a lot more attractive than a giveaway in matching condition. When I look in Overstreet today, it is sadly out of touch with not only the average prices but also my perception of relative prices among different issues. Based on GPAnalysis, I sense that many other collectors tend to agree more with my own taste than with that reflected in the guide.

wdcs20_met_900.jpg

Gorgeous book, Mr. B.

I think the quality of the Dell comics historically has been one of the most overlooked factors when determining price. A high grade comic with a glossy cover and strong colors looks a lot more attractive than a giveaway in matching condition. When I look in Overstreet today, it is sadly out of touch with not only the average prices but also my perception of relative prices among different issues. Based on GPAnalysis, I sense that many other collectors tend to agree more with my own taste than with that reflected in the guide.

wdcs20_met_900.jpg

I find that copy very tasteful! :cloud9:

animal5.jpg

absolutely stunning!

Gorgeous book, Mr. B.

wdcs20_met_900.jpg

Geez, nice book! (worship)

This book below definitely has a thick paper stock over and was produced with a high gloss finish. That is not necessarily true of some of the other issues that you point out, and, having seen them in person, I would not all characterize them as having the same quality of finish.

A thicker cover stock is alway a good thing as it prevents tanning of the pages from having too much impact in dulling the cover the way it would with cheaper books from the 50s. Dell also produced some of their 40s books (e.g. Ghost of the Grotto) with a matte finish so there was not uniformity in their line that was interrupted by FC 386. FC 386 can be quite attractive and is a glossy book, but there was a time in the 50s when they had thin covers and super high gloss. The photo covers and painted covers from this time outshone their competition.

This is a really great part of the explanation. I was not trying to insinuate that FC386 could not be a glossy book. It's my favorite of my collection, even though I have a beater.

The thick covers, thick ink (as pointed out by Mr.Bedrock) and the coloring all seems to contribute to the bright covers. The more I thought about, the more I see the artist's hand in the covers I look at the most, Barks. The trick of highlighting a subject on white, top lighting with white accent colors and the use of those bold primary colors really make those books pop.

Gorgeous book, Mr. B.

wdcs20_met_900.jpg

Geez, nice book! (worship)

Holy poop on a stick!! Sweet book!