• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open plea to all CGC Forumites - OT Threads
2 2

378 posts in this topic

I'm back. And I'm just going to say that I agree with Cal. Too much OT garbage in the general section. Something like the SD forest fire thread was ok as it is a humanitarian effort and there is always room for that, but c'mon guys and gals...I don't have a friggin clue who OSU is, don't really care what anyone is eating for dinner and don't need to know how many socks you can put into your kid sister's lunch bag (I preferred using bagged farts BTW)....

My 2c

If you spend a little time hanging out in the water cooler you OT posters would easily make a few new friends in no time (just like you did here when you first joined) and get that "community feel" as well.

I'd absolutely prefer to keep this a comic related forum as much as possible.

Just MHO.

R.

Edited by r1970d

What, you have something against the African American male naked body? Its called ART. Or, perhaps with you, only "white is right". Ok, I can take a hint, I'm outta this god-foresaken hillbilly forum!!!!!!

the race card :cloud9:

though I am pretty tired of all the freakin' birthday announcements - would love to see that separated out into the "Announcements" sub-forum). :frustrated:

:applause:

I do think that all sports-related threads should be relegated to The Water Cooler - that's what it's there for. I could not care less, for example, if the Red Sox won the World Series - unless your nickname is "Big Papi" and your paycheck comes from the Boston Red Sox, we don't need to see it in Comics General. There are any number of active sports threads going on there and I don't see any reason why sports (or music, for that matter) needs to be discussed solely among comic collectors. :pullhair:

:applause:(worship)

though I am pretty tired of all the freakin' birthday announcements - would love to see that separated out into the "Announcements" sub-forum). :frustrated:

:applause:

I do think that all sports-related threads should be relegated to The Water Cooler - that's what it's there for. I could not care less, for example, if the Red Sox won the World Series - unless your nickname is "Big Papi" and your paycheck comes from the Boston Red Sox, we don't need to see it in Comics General. There are any number of active sports threads going on there and I don't see any reason why sports (or music, for that matter) needs to be discussed solely among comic collectors. :pullhair:

:applause:(worship)

Most people don't realize that filling an empty room with garbage does not make the room look better.

R

>> But, if ... it is done ONLY ... sometimes

Well that's where opinions differ. How much is "sometimes?" If it happened

twice a year, or twice a month, ok, no problem.

Right now, on JUST the FIRST page of CG, there are 8 obviously OT threads, and

a few others that are borderline (and that's not counting the 2 threads that are

about OT threads). Is that a lot?

The existence of OT posts encourages others to post more OT posts. If

so-and-so posts about his favorite baseball team, I'll post about my favorite

hockey team. And on and on.

Plus, I don't think the issue is how hard/easy it is for someone to avoid OT posts.

Yes, it's relatively easy to avoid them. But so what? Why should anyone

HAVE to avoid them in the first place?

It's easy to avoid stepping in the dog poop that my inconsiderate neighbor leaves

on the sidewalk in front of my house. Does that mean it's ok for him to do it?

(and boy am I going to get flamed for that analogy)

I don't understand why people post OT stuff in the first place. I think

it's rude. It's hijacking a common area dedicated for one purpose, for your

own purpose. "This is a comic board, but I'm interested in baseball so I'll

post about baseball."

And yes, I'm aware of the irony that I'm contributing to an entire topic that

is somewhat off topic. Oh well.

gozer

---------------------

I'm starving! Mom, can we go Catholic so we can get communion wafers

and booze?

GREAT post, Stephen! :applause:

Your analogy was spot-on. All the pro-OT members keep saying it's not that hard to skip past the OT threads, but the question is why should we have to? Perhaps it would be better if they just didn't post OT threads in the first place.

I don't understand why people post OT stuff in the first place. I think

it's rude. It's hijacking a common area dedicated for one purpose, for your

own purpose. "This is a comic board, but I'm interested in baseball so I'll

post about baseball."

Because the boards are more than a disparate group of comic book collectors. For the regulars, it's a group of friends, and those friends have interests beyond comics. When my son was born last May, I sure as heck wasn't going to post about it to a bunch of strangers in the water cooler, but I knew that my friends in Comics General would want to know. If there are horrendous fires in California, it's good to know that our fellow board members are okay, and if they're not, that they could use our help. Rail all you want against OT threads, but they're often the most popular threads in Comics General.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, Jeff. So long as you and all your friends avoid the WC, then you won't know anyone in the WC.

How about an experiment? Everyone here start posting all their OT threads in the WC for a few weeks. If the number of comic collectors explodes in that forum, overwhelming the 3 or 4 hardcore coinees that hang out there, I bet they will crawl away somewhere and soon the WC will just be you and your friends. Or at least they won't intrude on any "social" thread there that's started by a comic guy. Currently, they almost never intrude on any of the investing or soccer threads that are started and dominated by comic folks.

If I'm wrong, then I will withdraw my objections to OT threads in General.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt as most Brit's have a great sense of humour. Cause if you are being a tool I might have to dis-like you even though you are a fellow (former) X-men fan. FYI, I have several relevant outstanding buy and sell transactions with comic collectors in this forum and wanted an open post for everyone to see so that no-one would think anything negative...this is a general post about comic related matters for comic related people...is this something I should have been posted in the WC?

:insane: