• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking To Identify Important Bronze Covers & Stories

30 posts in this topic

I am looking to identify specific books with covers or stories that are either historically important/symbolic or simply completely strange/humorous (i.e., double entendre covers).

By historically important/symbolic I am referring to books that reflect covers and stories that truly represent the culture of the time, and reflect how that culture has changed over the years.

I have done a lot of this work already but this forum is awash with substantive knowledge and I would be foolish not to take advantage of it. If you can post a picture of the cover, that would be great. If you do not have the cover available and can simply refer me to the title and issue, that is fine as well.

Feel free to suggest anything and everything, but please explain why you are doing so in order for me to consider whether that is what I am looking to catalogue.

As my purpose is not restricted to only the Bronze Age, I will be cross-posting this request in the other forum sections so if you have suggestions for other eras, please post them there.

Thanks! (thumbs u

I've got one for you. You didn't say 'US comics only' did you?

2000AD had 4 issues memorably 'banned' back in 1978 for their depictions of Ronald McDonald, Burger King and the Jolly Green Giant in the post-apocalyptic wilderness of the classic Cursed Earth storyline in Judge Dredd.

Issues 71-72, pencilled by Mike McMahon, featured 'Burger Wars' with the rival factions of McDonalds and Burger King waging bloody war and kidnapping 'customers' for their chain. It is very, very funny! :grin:

Issues 77-78 featured 'Mascotmania' wherein a crazed scientist genetically engineers a bunch of freaks such as the Michelin Man and a monstrous Jolly Green Giant. Artwork by the great Brian Bolland.

When the publishers were threatened by McDonalds et al, they settled and agreed never to reprint them.

Here's one of my copies of 72 (I have multiples :whistle: ), and yes, that's Ronald McDonald about to take a bite of JD!:

2000ad72.jpg

Great stuff! Issue 77 has a Bolland cover with the green giant. A nauseating apology was later printed in which Judge Dredd and Spikes sing the praises of Green Giant Corn. Here, I found a copy on the web:

prog84_greengiant.jpg

That sort of thing interesting to you?

One of the more bizarre books published in the BA (and maybe ever) was this little gem:

13776_4_001.jpg

Don't really know how socially relevant it was. It's actually about a hitler-youth girl that sees the light of Christianity. Still, something the newbie collector probably hasn't ever seen.

One of the more bizarre books published in the BA (and maybe ever) was this little gem:

13776_4_001.jpg

Don't really know how socially relevant it was. It's actually about a hitler-youth girl that sees the light of Christianity. Still, something the newbie collector probably hasn't ever seen.

Yep, I have this one. Very interesting book. Would like to know more about the publisher.

That Lois Lane issue where she turns into a black woman. Title of the story is "I Am Curious...Black" which of course is a play on the title of a Swedish (?) movie about sexual liberation called I Am Curious...Yellow. The film created something of a brouhaha with its depiction of female sexuality, although I believe it is somewhat tame by modern "R" standards.

The story in the book deals with Lois going undercover for some reason or another. Sadly, no exploration of sexuality ensues, I believe.

There's also that non-fiction book about the white guy who undergoes chemical treatments to live in the South as a black man, which has something to do with the story elements in the comic, I think

That Lois Lane issue where she turns into a black woman. Title of the story is "I Am Curious...Black" which of course is a play on the title of a Swedish (?) movie about sexual liberation called I Am Curious...Yellow. The film created something of a brouhaha with its depiction of female sexuality, although I believe it is somewhat tame by modern "R" standards.

The story in the book deals with Lois going undercover for some reason or another. Sadly, no exploration of sexuality ensues, I believe.

There's also that non-fiction book about the white guy who undergoes chemical treatments to live in the South as a black man, which has something to do with the story elements in the comic, I think

If anyone can identify the title and issue #s referenced above, that would be great!

you're thinking of "black like me" by john howard griffin. wonderful book if you've never read it.

By historically important/symbolic I am referring to books that reflect covers and stories that truly represent the culture of the time, and reflect how that culture has changed over the years.

Losers # 148

Overtones would be an understatement.

Definitely reflecting the in-service tensions, prejudice and attitudes.....even the claim of insanity fits the period profile.

This thread had me scurrying to check out my JLA back issues. I thought I remembered some "more socially conscious" covers in the early 70's. The two issues I scrounged up are JLA 86 (dealing with world hunger, at least ostensibly) and 90 (dealing with industrial waste dumping). Sorry for no scans.

--Sean.