• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There is a big Fall Comic Show in Michigan...

1 post in this topic

... and it is this weekend:

Xcape Con brings comic-book fans near and far to area

BIRCH RUN

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

Thursday, November 01, 2007

By Chad Swiatecki

As a lifelong comic-book fan, Brian Germain was used to making twice-annual trips to Novi for the Motor City Comic Con, where he'd meet national celebrities, other artists and comic fans from all over the state.

And he was used to seeing a hole in his wallet afterward, too.

"You drive all the way down there, it's $20 just to get in plus parking ... it costs a lot just to go to the thing before you even think about buying something," said Germain, a Swartz Creek resident and owner of local comic publisher Dark Elf Designs.

"I thought it would be great to have a con that's a little more in line with the economics around here, so people can come out and have a good time but it doesn't cost them so much."

That thinking was what led to this weekend's Xcape Con at the Birch Run Expo Center, a two-day comic and pop culture gathering featuring vendors from all over Michigan.

It also will include Sci-Fi Channel reality star Fat Momma and former "Babylon 5" and "Charmed" star Jason Carter, along with two slates of bands performing each night.

Germain said he was moved to start a mid-Michigan comic convention - the first in the area in more than a dozen years, by his recollection - after lobbying in vain for the organizers of the Detroit-area show to try something here.

When the Motor City show scaled back and eliminated its fall event, Germain jumped on the opportunity and hasn't been disappointed with the response.

"It's been fantastic. I'm all sold out on the vendor tables and I'm trying to squeeze a few more in even though we're almost out of room," he said. "I hope it can get established and become another good thing for people around here to do on the weekend."

The Xcape presents an opportunity for vendors such as Flint Township store Comic Relief to exhibit the comic, clothes and collectibles it offers to comic fans from all over the area.

"There's a lot of excitement about it, especially since there's no fall Motor City con this year and this one is so close for people," said Dean Irelan, owner of Comic Relief.

"It's a chance for people to see things they might not have in their local stores and so we're bringing a little bit of everything with us. My goal is to go there and wind up bringing some new faces back with me who have never been in the store before."

Details: www.xcapecon.com, www.birchrunexpos.com