• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy OA

4 posts in this topic

I am fairly new to buying OA, but have had this burning question on my mind. Is there an AF 15 Cover OA? Has one ever been sold? If so can someone show me links?

Thanks,

-CC

There seem to be very very few examples of early Marvel cover art openly known to exist, much less any of the Big Daddies like AF 15. I have never seen a pic of any original cover art to any major marvel Silver Age key book.

However, Jack Kirby was commissioned in the 1990s to do a number of cover recreations (pencils) for Sotheby's. He also did some other cover recreations prior to the Sotheby's commissions. AF 15 was one of the recreations that he did (although I'm not sure if it was one of the Sotheby's or not) along with the ASM 10 (which people seem to forget that Jack did the art to). Other notable cover recreations Jack did incluced Strange Tales Annual 2, Avengers 1 and 4. Hulk 1 and 2 (maybe 3?), Fantastic Four 1, 4, 5, 48, 49, 50, 72 (others?), Tales of Suspense 39, and more. I don't have a complete list handy.

Oh, and Ayers did some too, including Strange Tales 89. It was for sale a couple years ago and I sure wish I'd jumped on it!

My feeling is that's about as close as anybody's going to come to the original art to AF 15. It's possible that the true OA exists, but probably ain't nobody ever gonna see it. 'Nuff Said.

I am fairly new to buying OA, but have had this burning question on my mind. Is there an AF 15 Cover OA? Has one ever been sold? If so can someone show me links?

Thanks,

-CC

There seem to be very very few examples of early Marvel cover art openly known to exist, much less any of the Big Daddies like AF 15. I have never seen a pic of any original cover art to any major marvel Silver Age key book.

However, Jack Kirby was commissioned in the 1990s to do a number of cover recreations (pencils) for Sotheby's. He also did some other cover recreations prior to the Sotheby's commissions. AF 15 was one of the recreations that he did (although I'm not sure if it was one of the Sotheby's or not) along with the ASM 10 (which people seem to forget that Jack did the art to). Other notable cover recreations Jack did incluced Strange Tales Annual 2, Avengers 1 and 4. Hulk 1 and 2 (maybe 3?), Fantastic Four 1, 4, 5, 48, 49, 50, 72 (others?), Tales of Suspense 39, and more. I don't have a complete list handy.

Oh, and Ayers did some too, including Strange Tales 89. It was for sale a couple years ago and I sure wish I'd jumped on it!

My feeling is that's about as close as anybody's going to come to the original art to AF 15. It's possible that the true OA exists, but probably ain't nobody ever gonna see it. 'Nuff Said.

Thanks