• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old comic catalogs & lists - post 'em if you got 'em

53 posts in this topic

One should point out that FAIR, GOOD, VERY GOOD had much different conotations back in the day than now

Plus, FINE AND VERY FINE pretty much did not exist 30 years back to teh degree where it is all so "scientific" with the 10 point system now in play for most collectors

Good used to mean exactly what the term implies in the general English language

Yes that's true; "Good" today, really means; "not so Good",

One should point out that FAIR, GOOD, VERY GOOD had much different conotations back in the day than now

Plus, FINE AND VERY FINE pretty much did not exist 30 years back to teh degree where it is all so "scientific" with the 10 point system now in play for most collectors

Good used to mean exactly what the term implies in the general English language

Point taken - wasn't a "good" back then roughly today's VG and a "very good" today's F/VF? I was 6 when the Bell list came out so to me at that time every comic was very good - especially if it was a Pink Panther, Richie Rich or a GI Combat!

Thanks,

Jerry

I just scanned some more of my old distributor propaganda. Here are a couple of them, for every one's edification

KABLE-NEWS-1935.jpg

This is a Kable News Flyer from 1935

MAGAZINE-RACK-1940.jpg

Here is a "Before" and "After" 1940 magazine rack - notice the comics on the right hand side

Please excuse the small size - this is what PhotoBucket and/or CGC allows for size - how do i get em bigger here so everyone can actually see the detail here?

I now have a couple 1000 of shots like this, all grist for this history book i have been working on

- i will post some more of these, but maybe no one wants to see any more

Hey, Bob; keep, postin'; I want to see more!!!! Joe

I now have a couple 1000 of shots like this, all grist for this history book i have been working on

I think you know my opinion already...Thanks in advance!

:popcorn:

More, more! :banana:

I think you know my opinion already...Thanks in advance!

More, more! :banana:

Don't stop! :headbang:

Bob has everyone begging.

Could it be part of his diabolical plan?

Or will he post more classic distributor scans?

COMIC-BOOK-RACK-1948.jpg

a comic book rack from 1948 -

and what i have in many cases is original artifact ads for these

- which means sitting at a scanner -

and i just became a grand father for the first time Oct 25. Her name is Giana.

- and it came to me in such a way I had to be wrapped up insuring my youngest daughter Rochelle had a smooth pregnancy as well as recovering her strength, so i have been cooking, cleaning, etc to take her load off

- time has been a factor as i have begun to spend more time mercantiling cool old comic books via my humble simple web site and eBay store once Rochelle had recovered her strength - my daughter spent a year in Afghanistan US Army, least i could do was focus on a soft landing back into normal USA society bringing a child into this world. The father simply could not be there, though he wanted to be, it all fell on me. Been away from these boards for some time, a swell as shows, the later more so i have a basicly busted hip joint which i am not going tobe focusing on getting replaced very soon. Went from 25-30 shows average a year to 4 for 2007. And i easily foresee $4+ a gallon for gas which translates into some $1500 for me to haul my stuff to either coast for all those shows i was doing. Oh, well, roll with the punches and evolve in the comcs business, something all survivors have done, as i mark my 41rst year doing comic book mail order from adverts placed and lists mailed. So, please pardon the waxing poetic...............

Bear with me, i will be making up more scans in the very near future as i am re-gaining my comics business time - it is still sinking in about grandpa status in life. Yow - it is neat!!

Here is an ad of mine December 1971 from when i was attending University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Most of my comic stock resided back at my parent's place then wheni was all of 18 years old studying organic chemistry, calculus, etc at the time. Within a year i had opened my first comci book store with partners Bud Plant and John Barrett called Comics & Comix on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley Aug 1972

RBCC0087-BEERBOHM-FULL-CGC.jpg

How does one get larger pics onto this site?