• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old comic catalogs & lists - post 'em if you got 'em

53 posts in this topic

Here is an ad of mine December 1971 from when i was attending University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Most of my comic stock resided back at my parent's place then wheni was all of 18 years old studying organic chemistry, calculus, etc at the time. Within a year i had opened my first comci book store with partners Bud Plant and John Barrett called Comics & Comix on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley Aug 1972

RBCC0087-BEERBOHM-FULL-CGC.jpg

How does one get larger pics onto this site?

with photobucket, you will have to "pay" for the upgrade...or, you can self host

gator

How could you leave Nebraska with the great football

team we have?

:signfunny:

Thanks for the obvious heads up, Rick, re PhotoBucket Pro upgrade - am re-sizing pics now so every one will soon see much larger pics o fthe scans i am making.

How does one self-host pics for this CGC area?

Nebraska was indeed #1 for several years running way back when, beating many teams with scores like 70 to zip - me, never been a huge foot ball watcher fan - would rather play than be a spectator

- but the summer of 1972, school was out and there was a nine show circuit that summer, first time it had been attempted as we were growing the back-issue comic book business. I was set up at all those shows, the last one of this first "season" being San Diego. A bunch of us did a caravan of comic book dealers to most all these shows with Bud Plant and myself as the core doing all of them. Others dropped in & out of this first extended road trek.

After San Diego, Bud talked me into coming up to San Jose to hang for a couple weeks before heading down to do the LA World SF Con Labor Day week end - during those two weeks, we opened that first Comics & Comix store on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley - i thought i could simply sit out a semester - famous last words - the "hobby" proceeded to get way out of hand and here we are 35 years later.

I now have a couple 1000 of shots like this, all grist for this history book i have been working on

- i will post some more of these, but maybe no one wants to see any more

quit posting and finish your books... :wishluck:..I want to learn something about comics and pulp and the history of comics while drinking coffee in the morning. :sumo:

Congratulations Grandpa! :applause:

Many thanks, Jeff, it is still sinking in - and she is a true joy in the house since mom and daughter got out of the hospital after a 8 day stay following some complications.

I am waiting for my PhotoBucket Pro to kick in so i can post larger scans.

My next comics history project i am working on is the Tom Reilly chapter for the upcoming pedigree book. I should have that done soon

Thanks, BZ, grandpa status suits me as the days progress. Makes me think back to when my kids were all little, before the ware house flooding in 1986. a million funny books. ouch.

Sure, 8-10 months after i sell i huge pile of old comic books, get my hip replaced (6 weeks recovery) and then have enough dough to tide me over the balance of the time making sure everything i need to cover gets covered. Then i will be able to compile and see it published.

The raw research to make one wing ding comics business historybook is sitting here - accumulated over time into a nice stash - 20 years recovering that which i had already accumulated in large part 1966-1986, turned in to paper mache bricks. Things like a 1969 interview with Steve Ditko done over the phone by Steve Johnson and myself. My exchange of letters with Fred Wertham as he researched his book THE WORLD OF FANZINES

- the zine FANZATION i edited alogn with Steve Johnson and Deryl Skelton ran five issues and was referenced nine times in Wertham's book including a contrib from Ditko.

Jerry Bails, Ted White, Robert Weinberg (Chicago Comicon), and others giving us material made it decent effort. Origins of fandom were explored then in some of the articles.

But I digress.

I have been frustrated by unforeseen turns of events to be able to sit still and compile this massive under-taking. Actually, i am chomping at the bit to complete this and see it in print as i see it in my head before i pass on. Hopefully soon, as i have a wealth of lore here to share.

oh, i just noticed you asked about the pedigree book. Taint my book - i am not coming to grips with what they asked of me, and i hope to finish my small contrib very soon. Much of it is actually written - just need to compile so it fits cohesively in my head as the final definitive statement on this very mis-understood fabulous batch of books i was blessed with being able to read and learn from. The excitement from that first month we discovered it back in April 1973 still lives on like it was yesterday to me.

I think everybody here will enjoy this one a lot. Written by Kerry Lawless, a big collector in the 60s. The Black Hand was there at the time and knew a lot of the guys mentioned in this piece.

Kerry has been mentioned in CBM by Scott McAdam because Kerry was a flea market comic dealer in the 70s and trained two 13-year-olds, McAdam and Steve Wyatt. I met Kerry this weekend at the Hayward show. Anyway, check it out.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=115727724&blogID=175275745