• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.1

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

288 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

120 posts in this topic

I like Maneeley, especially his pre-code horror work, but not really as a silver age artist.

Died 1958 -- not much Silver-Age work. OK, I'm beginning to understand.

Jack

He was a guilty pleasure. Forgot to add him in the GA poll, so I put him here. That being said, his Black Knight work may have been the best of his career.

never owned a black knight... :sorry:

Me neither, but a lot of those stories were reprinted in some of the Marvel reprint books of the late '60s (maybe Fantasy Masterpieces...?) which is where I learned to love the Black Knight.

So many artists to chop out in the initial rounds!

Some on the basis that in my opinion they really aren't SA artists even if they did SOME work during that period and therefore shouldn't have been on this list in the first place. This group would include Frazetta, Maneely and Crandall.

Others on the basis that in my opinion they just weren't very good and should never have been on this list in the first place. This group would include Don Heck, George Tuska and Ayers.

I'm going to vote against lack of talent before I start voting based on technicalities, so my two votes off this round are Heck and Tuska.

Any possibility we could list a couple of the titles that these artists worked on? Some of the less notable ones might not be as recognizable unless title-referenced. Just an idea. :)

Maybe check out the GCD first. I'm going there now before voting.

Eh, I'm feeling too lazy. I'm just going to vote off the ones I don't know until I can vote for those I like most... (doesn't look good for non-Marvels).

Others on the basis that in my opinion they just weren't very good and should never have been on this list in the first place. This group would include Don Heck, George Tuska and Ayers.

I didn't notice Mike Sekowsky on the list! He would definitely fall into the too-talentless-to-have-been-up-for-consideration group. If I'd noticed his name, I probably would have voted him off over Tuska.

never owned a black knight... :sorry:

Me neither, but a lot of those stories were reprinted in some of the Marvel reprint books of the late '60s (maybe Fantasy Masterpieces...?) which is where I learned to love the Black Knight.

That's where I first read the stories. I, too, have never owned any issues of Black Knight :sorry:

I didn't notice Mike Sekowsky on the list! He would definitely fall into the too-talentless-to-have-been-up-for-consideration group. If I'd noticed his name, I probably would have voted him off over Tuska.

Sekowsky is on the list and I did notice ... that's why I voted for him :devil:

Here's Don Heck when he's good btw - He did plenty of other good work for Media -

47376-Danger6.jpg.58bb77b9ae00acb054c673a0182d098d.jpg