• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.2

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

249 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

54 posts in this topic

The names are in the order I thought up of them. Nothing more than that.

Just as a warning, the topic of placement of names in the survey was a big controversy in the Survivor Series. Don't ask me why.

Ah, thanks (thumbs u Wasn't aware of that.

Just noticed that S. Clay Wilson and Gilbert Shelton are getting a lot of votes... :o

Have to say their presence in this poll is very anomalous - Shelton (especially in tandem with Dave Sheridan) was an excellent artist, but did very little in the 1960s of merit - H Bomb Funnies, Feds And Heads and a couple of other books. The classic Freak Brothers issues were later, and he was still developing as an artist at this time.

Never mind the lack of connection with mainstream comics of the era. And as for Wilson, if ever there was an acquired taste in comics (at least until Tim Vigil came along) he was it. Not for the squeamish, and a very average artist, too. I'm baffled that he got in this poll.

Now that I think about it, I should've voted for him instead of Lucey.

Dont forget about Wonder Warthog!

Just noticed that S. Clay Wilson and Gilbert Shelton are getting a lot of votes... :o

Have to say their presence in this poll is very anomalous - Shelton (especially in tandem with Dave Sheridan) was an excellent artist, but did very little in the 1960s of merit - H Bomb Funnies, Feds And Heads and a couple of other books. The classic Freak Brothers issues were later, and he was still developing as an artist at this time.

Never mind the lack of connection with mainstream comics of the era. And as for Wilson, if ever there was an acquired taste in comics (at least until Tim Vigil came along) he was it. Not for the squeamish, and a very average artist, too. I'm baffled that he got in this poll.

I think you could have a list with a thousand names on it.I think Angelo has done a fine job.But you will never please everybody.Several of my faves didnt make the list either.

Dennis

I went with Sekowsky & Murphy Anderson. If I'm not familiar with someone's work I won't vote against them. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Sekowsky does seem to be getting a lot of flak, although he wasn't that bad, especially in the late 60s.

A lot of people don't care for Infantino or Anderson either, but as a team they were great.

I alwaysthought Murphy Anderson was incredible! Easily DC's best 60's artist until Adams got there. Have people not seen Showcase #55 with Solomon Grundy in the Swamp vs. Dr. Fate, or the Spectre issues? Or The Atomic Knights! (Or making Infantino look good) That is WONDERFUL Work!

I am a huge fan of Anderson too, but he is not as good as Gil Kane.

I went with Sekowsky & Murphy Anderson. If I'm not familiar with someone's work I won't vote against them. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Sekowsky does seem to be getting a lot of flak, although he wasn't that bad, especially in the late 60s.

A lot of people don't care for Infantino or Anderson either, but as a team they were great.

I alwaysthought Murphy Anderson was incredible! Easily DC's best 60's artist until Adams got there. Have people not seen Showcase #55 with Solomon Grundy in the Swamp vs. Dr. Fate, or the Spectre issues? Or The Atomic Knights! (Or making Infantino look good) That is WONDERFUL Work!

I am a huge fan of Anderson too, but he is not as good as Gil Kane.

Some Kane coming up...

Strangeadventures116.jpg

I am ever hopeful that Kirby won't be there at the end. He would make my top 5 or 6 or 7, but not top 2. I respect Kirby as a phenomenal output of material and his creativity, but I am not much of a fan of his art. I know there are a ton of Kirby fans out there, so I don't expect my list to be the way the contest ends, but this is how my top guys would finish.

Neal Adams

John Romita Sr

Gil Kane

Steve Ditko

Murphy Anderson/Jack Kirby/Curt Swan

I think alot of people are going to pass on Adams because they assume he will win the Bronze series, but that is just as tough a contest and there are many deserving votes. I hope Adams gets the respect he deserves in this contest as he probably had more to do with SA DC sales (since he did hundreds of covers) than anyone else from this time period.

Just as a warning, the topic of placement of names in the survey was a big controversy in the Survivor Series. Don't ask me why.

Get rid of the controversy by listing them in alphabetical order next round. Then Just Certain members won`t have anything to whine about.

Get rid of the controversy by listing them in alphabetical order next round. Then Just Certain members won`t have anything to whine about.

Will do (thumbs u

Tuska & Sekowski. I forgot how much I dislike Sekowsky until looking at this list right now! lol

Ditto. Although I`ve never forgotten how much I dislike Sekowsky. lol

Me either. Here's a random page. He wasn't even good enough to attempt to draw backgrounds...

JLA6page.jpg

as a kid I always shuddered when I got home and opened up my JLAs and saw Sekowsky stiff awkward poses and sticky chested heroes. BUT - - at hi sbest those same ungainly elements have a kinda cool weird quality thats consistent in his whole style. So Im keeping him around a bit longer. Tuska too. Theres a lot of fluff IMO on the list to deal with before cutting our mainstream SA superhero guys.

I didn't....he first appeared in H Bomb Funnies. The best WW stories were later however, in the Rip - Off series. Gotta love the one where he becomes a pro-football player...