• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.2

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

249 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

54 posts in this topic

selegue - your avatar is the creepiest thing I have ever seen!

... and you've seen some mighty creepy things!

I love it.

Did you see where it came from? The GA Fawcett ad thread. I clipped 2 from there and used the other last night for about 15 minutes before settling on this one.

Jack

Just noticed that S. Clay Wilson and Gilbert Shelton are getting a lot of votes... :o

Have to say their presence in this poll is very anomalous - Shelton (especially in tandem with Dave Sheridan) was an excellent artist, but did very little in the 1960s of merit - H Bomb Funnies, Feds And Heads and a couple of other books. The classic Freak Brothers issues were later, and he was still developing as an artist at this time.

Never mind the lack of connection with mainstream comics of the era. And as for Wilson, if ever there was an acquired taste in comics (at least until Tim Vigil came along) he was it. Not for the squeamish, and a very average artist, too. I'm baffled that he got in this poll.

Now that I think about it, I should've voted for him instead of Lucey.

Dont forget about Wonder Warthog!

I didn't....he first appeared in H Bomb Funnies. The best WW stories were later however, in the Rip - Off series. Gotta love the one where he becomes a pro-football player...

Wonder Warthog first appeared in a college humor magazine Bacchanal in 1962, and in another college magazine Texas Ranger shortly thereafter, before a number of the stories were reprinted in Help. Granted these weren't comic books, but Pete Millar's Drag Cartoons was, where WW appeared for about 20 issues 1966-68. Millar also published two magazine sized issues of WW's own mag. His appearance in H-Bomb funnies was rather late in the game.

selegue - your avatar is the creepiest thing I have ever seen!

... and you've seen some mighty creepy things!

I love it.

Did you see where it came from? The GA Fawcett ad thread. I clipped 2 from there and used the other last night for about 15 minutes before settling on this one.

That's odd. I reverted to my old avatar while I was gone for a day. I wonder why.

Jack

Tuska & Sekowski. I forgot how much I dislike Sekowsky until looking at this list right now! lol

Ditto. Although I`ve never forgotten how much I dislike Sekowsky. lol

Me either. Here's a random page. He wasn't even good enough to attempt to draw backgrounds...

JLA6page.jpg

exactly why i voted him off each round so far. as much as i loved the JLA and looked forward to it each month (or 8x's a year, whichever) i just hated how stiff and awkward everyone always looked. and those covers were always so lame............ :(

and those undergrounders go next..........i always preferred realism - except for Harry Lucey................ :devil:

Tuska & Sekowski. I forgot how much I dislike Sekowsky until looking at this list right now! lol

Ditto. Although I`ve never forgotten how much I dislike Sekowsky. lol

Me either. Here's a random page. He wasn't even good enough to attempt to draw backgrounds...

exactly why i voted him off each round so far. as much as i loved the JLA and looked forward to it each month (or 8x's a year, whichever) i just hated how stiff and awkward everyone always looked. and those covers were always so lame............ :(

You almost had me agreeing, but some of the covers are great! (Most likely those that Murphy Anderson did most of the work on.)

47702-1449_4_009.jpg

47701-1449_4_029.jpg

and those undergrounders go next..........i always preferred realism - except for Harry Lucey................ :devil:

I can't agree there.

The undergrounds were far more interesting and creative than mainstreams in the early 70s, to my taste. And I certainly don't demand realism in depicting flying people, 1" and 60' tall people, Martians, dinosaurs under the Antarctic, talking tigers, etc. I'm fine with fanciful talking animals in the Kelly vein, even Moscoso's nearly abstract drawings. (I like him better than Wilson or Spain, for example.) But if you DO want realism, Crumb can draw the pants off anyone from the mainstream books. (and probably would) Just look at his nonfiction work. Didn't I post some of that work? Isn't it great realism?

Great discussion here, but I think it's mostly moved to the next round.

Jack