• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man, The Movie DVD

23 posts in this topic

When it first arrived in theatres, how many times did you watch the Spider-Man movie? I watched it no less than 2 times. The first time I viewed it, I went in the theatre with somewhat high expectations, and after watching it, the overall quality (acting, special effects, etc.) exceeded all of my expectations and set a new standard for this type of film.

Live acting Super-Heros films, and my opinions: 1978 - The first Superman movie is a classic, but technology has advanced so much that quite frankly the movie shows it's age, and I'm hoping for a GOOD update in the near future. 1989 - I watched the first (of the modern films) Batman movie when it arrived in theatres, I thought that the 1989 Batman movie was above average, and the sequals that followed, well let's just say that the sequals never measured up to the original. 2000 - I watched the first X-Men movie when it arrived at the local theatre, and I thought that as a modern version of the X-Men myth the movie suceeded. At times the X-Men movie exceeded my expectations, and at other times it did not meet my expectations. I like the actor that plays Magneto, but IMO, the actor does not have the body mass that I picture Magneto having (as in Jim Lee's version). Another thing about the X-Men movie that disappointed me would have to be the costume design. The costumes are all so similar (black, black, black, black) that it gives an overall generic appearance to the team. I did manage to look beyond costume design though and enjoy the movie. IMO, even though the aforementioned movies were great during their time, the 2002 Spider-Man movie is by far THE best Super-Hero movie to EVER hit theatres, and hopefully a testament to what is to come (I'm crossing my fingers though).

BTW, I pre-orderd the collectors edition (with all the goodies) from Amazon.com, and it shipped out today. I'm looking forward to watching the movie again (and again), and checking out all the extras. Did anybody else that posts at this board pre-order the movie?

i watched the spidey movie the first showing on the first day it came out, and then twice more when my friend bought a pirated copy 2 weeks after the movie released. nope, i did not pre order the movie, as for x-men, they should've retitled it "wolverine and his amazing friends" blush.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif

I ordered the Limited Edition Collector's Gift Set today. Here's a question..... how long before we see a slabbed copy of the Collectible reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15, which introduced the Spider-Man character (from Amazon) shocked.gif

Phil

Here is a list taken from Amazon.com of what is included with the limited collectors edition:

TV spot(s)

Gift Set includes:

1.) Spider-Man widescreen 2-disc DVD

2.) Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters & Marvels DVD

3.) Collectible reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15, which introduced the Spider-Man character

4.) Collectible senitype featuring a film cel from the movie personally selected by the director with this comments

5.) Limited edition off-set lithograph reproduction by John Romita Sr. and John Romita Jr. (Spider-Man artists)

Spider-Man DVD includes:

1.) Commentary by director Sam Raimi, Kirsten Dunst, producer Laura Ziskin, and co-producer Grant Curtis

2.) SFX commentary by special effects designer John Dykstra and visual effects crew

3.) "Weaving the Web": subtitled pop-on production notes and historical facts

4.) Branching web-isodes

5.) Music videos: Hero (Chad Kroeger featuring Josey Scott), What We're All About (Sum 41)

6.) TV spots

7.) Filmographies and character files

8.) HBO Making of Spider-Man

9.) Spider-Mania, an E! Entertainment Special

10.) Director profile: Sam Raimi

11.) Composer profile: Danny Elfman

12.) Screen tests for Tobey Maguire, J.K. Simmons, and CGI Spider-Man

13.) Costume and makeup tests

14.) Gag/outtake reel

15.) Conceptual art and production design gallery

16.) Comic book artist pin-up gallery

17.) "Spider-Man: The Mythology of the 21st Century" historical documentary

18.) The Spider-Man Comic Book Archives

19.) Rogues Gallery

20.) The Loves of Peter Parker

21.) Activision game hints and tips

DVD-ROM features

Widescreen anamorphic format

Number of discs: 2

The items in BOLD are exclusive to the collector's edition. Is the extra DVD, AF #15 reprint, film cel, and lithograph worth the extra $20? IMO, yes.

Watched the ASM movie once during the advance preview. Too much cgi. Not enough body mass on ASM when he is swinging. Willem Dafoe gr8 as Norman Osborne in the mirror scene. Thought X-men movie #1 was far superior. Opening sequence w/ mutant prejudice parallel to WW 2 Jew internment Xcellent. Nothing wrong w/ focussing on Canadian Wolvie. laugh.gif

Spider-Man the movie C.E. arrived today, and I just finished watching the bonus DVD "Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters, & Marvels" extensive Stan Lee interviews with questions asked by Kevin Smith, and I enjoyed all 95 (more than that counting the extas) minutes of it. Just to give everyone an idea here is a breakdown of the 2 main features taken directly from the back of the DVD case.

"Feature 1: Creating Spider-Man

* The Inspiration behind creating Spider-Man

* Stan Lee Discusses Spider-Man's Original Artist [steve D.]

* The Web Slinger's Closest Friends and Arch Enemies

* TV Incarnations and Sony Pictures Spider-Man

* Spidey in the hands of a new generation of Comic Creators & Much More!"

"Feature 2: Here Come the Heroes"

* Stan Lee's first writing assignment on Captain America

* The Birth of the Fantastic Four and the X-Men phenomenon

* Stan Lee Discusses the fan controversy over creator credit

* The Mighty Marvel Bullpen - Fan Interaction

* Stan's Thoughts on the movies based on Marvel Characters Including: The X-Men, The Hulk, DareDevil, The Silver Surfer [one of his favorite creations], and the Fantastic Four & Much More!"

The "Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters, & Marvels" DVD is reason enough to own the collector's edition, it's that good! Well, it's time for me to go and watch the bonus disc that comes with the standard edition.

I bought the Spider-Man DVD (WideScreen Version) today and just got down watching it.I sat down and watched it on my 43" HDTV Hitachi Widescreen TV with 5 surround sound speakers and a 10 inch subwoofer..BOOM,BOOM,BOOM. Needless to say it looked great.

Can someone tell me something about the Amazing Fantasy #15 reprint that comes with the Spidey Gift set. How is the book different then the original? Any special markings? Is it just a reprint that has already been sold in the stores? Would like to know.

Finmally saw the movie on my plain old 45" Mits with Yamaha DD. It was good and it was bad. Loved the look of Spiderman. Hated the look of GG. For the most part, GG looked like anime thrown into real world - very poorly done. Also - a bit too much of a spread amoung the issues to make a viable story. But still fun.

Fantastic_Four: You can buy the Stan Lee video by itself

James, you kind of disappointed me because I usually find your posts to be thoughful, helpful, and informative. Where can you buy the Stan Lee DVD NEW for less than $20 which includes shipping/sales tax?

I don't know if you've read this entire thread, but I purchased my Spider-Man C.E. at Amazon.com for $37.46 which included FREE shipping. If you exclude the other (as CI put it), that comes out to $18.73 for the Spider-Man (widescreen edition) DVD w/bonus disc, and $18.73 for Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters & Marvels. IF you were to purchase them seperately at Amazon.com the Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters & Marvels alone is $22.46 (this alone does not qualify for free shipping), and then if you purchase the Spider-Man (widescreen editon) for an additional $17.38 the total would be $39.84 (free shipping would be available), which comes out to $19.92 each.

Here are links for reference, to make sure I've got the facts straight.

Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters, & Marvels

Spider-Man (Widescreen Edition)

Spider-Man Limited Editon Collector's Gift Set

Shuley76: I bought the Spider-Man DVD (WideScreen Version) today and just got down watching it.I sat down and watched it on my 43" HDTV Hitachi Widescreen TV with 5 surround sound speakers and a 10 inch subwoofer..BOOM,BOOM,BOOM. Needless to say it looked great.

Can I come over to your house? grin.gif It must have sounded great too! I bought the Spider-Man collectors' edition, so I started with the Stan Lee DVD. I put it in the tray of my PS2 (Playstation 2), which is connected to my 27" Sanyo T.V. through a S-Video connection. For sound, I have a dolby digital DTS Onkyo receiver pumping plenty of watts into my Yamaha center channel, Yamaha 8" subwoofer, and 2 main front Yamaha 3 way floor speakers w/12 inch woofers. I also have surround speakers (4 of them 2 Yamaha, 2 Polk Audio, 2 should be good enough right?), but I'm too damned lazy to hook them up. I've owned several receivers in my lifetime, but the Onkyo TX-DS494 is the cleanest sounding receiver I've ever owned! Anyway, I'm more than satisfied with my audio/video setup, and most people would be envious if they were to EXPERIENCE the fullness of it.