• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just another resub example...ASM 28 9.2 becomes a 9.4

25 posts in this topic

Actually...

Black ink used in printing is of much lower quality than the other 3 colors.

And when dry, the black is less durable to cracking and fingerprints.

So, there is truth to this.

gossip.gif

I've been thinking about this...and I am hoping someone can edumacate me... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

[*]Isn't glossing a seperate process in order to preserve the integrity of the inks?

[*]Is the glossing less effective on a black cover?

[*]Do I even have a clue?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I posted this in May but it still holds true:

::What IS Gloss?::

The glossiness of paper comes from a couple of things: the amount of "calendering" paper has gone through (basically a process that can smooth out the surface and bring out a sheen) and the "hardness" of the paper - in paper manufacture, clay minerals (mainly kaolinite) are in the mix and make for a paper that can take a very smooth glossy finish. One way to think of it is stones. A soft stone like Calcite (Mohs 3) will never take a brilliant polish the way the much harder star ruby (Mohs 9) will.

Now some paper come through with a gloss added in manufacture, and some of the real slick modern books may be of such ilk. But overall, calendering and clay minerals are what is responsible for that glossy coating. It is inherent to the paper itself and cannot be recreated with a spray.