• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just another resub example...ASM 28 9.2 becomes a 9.4

25 posts in this topic

Seems like a 9.4 to me.

Maybe one of the graders was in a bad mood the first time...? confused-smiley-013.gif

That book is almost impossible to find in VF or better. shy.gif

Seems like a 9.4 to me.

Maybe one of the graders was in a bad mood the first time...? confused-smiley-013.gif

That book is almost impossible to find in VF or better. shy.gif

Seems like a 9.0-9.2 to me....

And where does this rare in high grade BS come from, just overstreet? Do ASM collectors really think this book is impossible to find in VF or better.

Check JUST the census alone:

http://www.cgccomics.com/poplookup/grades_standard.asp?title=Amazing+Spider%2DMan++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++&issue=28+++++&publisher=Marvel+Comics++++++++++++&year=1965

I have several copies in 8.5 or better and have never had a problem finding a high grade copy. Just because it is a black cover does not "necessarily" make it rare or scarce in High Grade.

I call BS on this one...No offense

And not to mention this was also a "well" damaged book note the back left corner(see attachment) , I guess CGC must overlook this. Glad to see they are using wedges routinely now though. All I can say is look for books from this time period with this back logo.

270007-spiderman28cgc92bc.jpg.8895f806aa35708da7cdcba3e87ea3f4.jpg

Hmm... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is it easier than FF 52 to find in high grade then?

I haven't actually sought out HG ASM in the last while since the movie hipe drove up the prices.

It is a very tough book in 9.2 and up. And that's not including the off-center books, which I think really kill this book. Off-center on a cover like really kills the allure of the all-black cover.

Brian

I agree that it is tough in 9.2 or better, but VF- VF/NM there are many copies floating around.

So is it a 9.2 or a 9.4 ???

Just because of my personal opinion regarding the look of a book with a black cover. It can't be anything higher than a 9.0

As for whether it's a 9.2 or 9.4, maybe one more submittal is in order and then if it comes back as a 9.2 or 9.4 at least than you'd have a "majority" so to speak.

Brian

Just because it is a black cover does not "necessarily" make it rare or scarce in High Grade.

I've never bought into the "it's impossible to find because of the black cover" argument. A crease is a crease whether it's on a black cover or a pink one. Just because it's black doesn't mean it's more easily damaged. It makes no sense.

However, WHITE covers are a different issue. Is there's yellowing to the book, it shows up on a white cover more than a regular cover. FF#73 or #28 are perfect examples. Try to find THOSE book in high grade without any yellowing.

Just because it is a black cover does not "necessarily" make it rare or scarce in High Grade.

I've never bought into the "it's impossible to find because of the black cover" argument. A crease is a crease whether it's on a black cover or a pink one. Just because it's black doesn't mean it's more easily damaged. It makes no sense.

However, WHITE covers are a different issue. Is there's yellowing to the book, it shows up on a white cover more than a regular cover. FF#73 or #28 are perfect examples. Try to find THOSE book in high grade without any yellowing.

Actually...

Black ink used in printing is of much lower quality than the other 3 colors.

And when dry, the black is less durable to cracking and fingerprints.

So, there is truth to this.

gossip.gif

Actually...

gossip.gif

And there ya go! Sometinmes the obvious is cloaked in inner knowledge!

Actually...

gossip.gif

I've been thinking about this...and I am hoping someone can edumacate me... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

[*]Isn't glossing a seperate process in order to preserve the integrity of the inks?

[*]Is the glossing less effective on a black cover?

[*]Do I even have a clue?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Isn't glossing a seperate process

Yes

in order to preserve the integrity of the inks?

Not exactly

Is the glossing less effective on a black cover?

I doubt it

Do I even have a clue?

The odds aren't good confused-smiley-013.giftongue.gif