• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell me your Con strategies. Newb going to WW Tx. needs advice.

62 posts in this topic

Another thing related to my initial post:

Sometimes dealers will price a book fairly or *gasp* too low. If that's the case, pay up and say, "Thank you."

Or look for more books from that dealer. Might as well keep those guys in business.

SA/BA FFs :cloud9: That's all I will be shopping for :wishluck:

I actually will have alot of this stuff at the con. Stop by and we will make you a good deal.

VF/NM and above? :wishluck:

Yes, almost my entire Silver Age & Bronze Age inventory(42 long boxes, besides my 15 back up boxes) is high grade. If there are certain numbers you are looking for, you can PM me and I will pull issues out of my first inventory and send them to the show for you to look at. Thanks

How do you best maximize your dollar spent?

Whats your plan/strategy when hitting a con?

Should I do most of my want list shopping early or should I wait til day 2/3 to maybe score some deals?

One thing it try to note is if the seller has a large amount of slabs. That usually means that they submit large numbers of books and may have them pre-screened. I try not to buy raw from these dealers since a book that may appear to be NM may have failed the pre-screening process.

Well ,actually ,..I guess I can't have a drink w/ FFreak ,................unless it's a Roy Rodgers !...............BH...... :baiting:

On second thought Pink.......If FFreak is even in the state ,not to mention Dallas ,I may have to come by for a drink!......BH.......

Well ,actually ,..I guess I can't have a drink w/ FFreak ,................unless it's a Roy Rodgers !...............BH...... :baiting:
On second thought Pink.......If FFreak is even in the state ,not to mention Dallas ,I may have to come by for a drink!......BH.......

Or a Shirley Temple...

Or a Shirley Temple...

He won't be able to make it anyways. He has a curfew...oops I mean a BARBEQUE to attend :grin:

My strategy going to cons has always been as follows for the past ten years: go to Dale's booth first & see what's up. Spend about an hour, tops. Buy the smaller books I want. Perhaps ask him to hold larger ones; but I'm careful about doing that because that takes his books off of the market & if I don't buy, he's spooned.

Cruise the floor for about half of my time remaining. Make notes about what is out there. Same story: buy $20 & under books on sight and wait on the big books.

Go back and take more looks at the big books I liked (at this point I might feel more confident about asking for a dealer to hold a book). Second half of the day take it easy with no rush (if I can do the whole floor this way; a bigger show it will take the whole day to go up & down all of the aisles).

Return to Dale at the end of the day & buy or pass. Repeat this process for my other days.

Think I prefer Dale? Sheesh...

The reason I do is because I am a high grade collector & thats what he has. HG bronze & silver mostly. His prices have been heavily debated on here but you get what you pay for: sweet books. & he has a nice wife!!

I buy toys, statues, trades, etc. elswhere. 1/2 my budget is for a few big books, 30% for small books, 20% misc.

Oh & always set a budget and stick to it no matter what like all else in life. It doesnt matter what you have in the bank, only spend what is in your pocket.

Oh & always set a budget and stick to it no matter what like all else in life. It doesnt matter what you have in the bank, only spend what is in your pocket.

Yeah, MY little $300 is going to go REAL far meh

:juggle: decisions decisions

:juggle: decisions decisions

Yeah it's tough, but I'm sticking with my budget, since my wife put up less of a fuss about me going than I thought she would. Trying to keep the skids greased for future cons :wishluck: