• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell me your Con strategies. Newb going to WW Tx. needs advice.

62 posts in this topic

My strategy going to cons has always been as follows for the past ten years: go to Dale's booth first & see what's up. Spend about an hour, tops. Buy the smaller books I want. Perhaps ask him to hold larger ones; but I'm careful about doing that because that takes his books off of the market & if I don't buy, he's spooned.

Cruise the floor for about half of my time remaining. Make notes about what is out there. Same story: buy $20 & under books on sight and wait on the big books.

Go back and take more looks at the big books I liked (at this point I might feel more confident about asking for a dealer to hold a book). Second half of the day take it easy with no rush (if I can do the whole floor this way; a bigger show it will take the whole day to go up & down all of the aisles).

Return to Dale at the end of the day & buy or pass. Repeat this process for my other days.

Think I prefer Dale? Sheesh...

The reason I do is because I am a high grade collector & thats what he has. HG bronze & silver mostly. His prices have been heavily debated on here but you get what you pay for: sweet books. & he has a nice wife!!

I buy toys, statues, trades, etc. elswhere. 1/2 my budget is for a few big books, 30% for small books, 20% misc.

And I greatly appreciate the business. My favorite part of this business is having repeat customers. That means people are happy with the books they got from me, and have come back for more. I will readily admit that I am not the cheapest guy in the room(nor do I want to be, those guys never have good books because all the dealers buy them out before the show starts and you never see the books on the floor), but I also will not be anywhere near the highest prices in the room either. I pay fairly on the books I have in inventory, and will have more high grade at a given show than any other dealer. I also will always try to work with you on price should you find something you like.

Oh & always set a budget and stick to it no matter what like all else in life. It doesnt matter what you have in the bank, only spend what is in your pocket.

Yeah, MY little $300 is going to go REAL far meh

Personally, I value the guy just as much who spends 300.00 as the guy who spends 1,000.00 or more. Before I started dealing, I was a 300.00 guy, and in many ways I still am. I dont have Superman #1s and Batman #1s on my wall, or 3 dozen AF #15s and AS #1s. I do have a ton of books between 20 - 200.00, and a growing selection of stuff over that price.

And alot of those guys who start at 300.00, end up as 1000.00 guys at some point, or more. And they tend to remember people who treated them right.

Oh & always set a budget and stick to it no matter what like all else in life. It doesnt matter what you have in the bank, only spend what is in your pocket.

Personally, I value the guy just as much who spends 300.00 as the guy who spends 1,000.00 or more. Before I started dealing, I was a 300.00 guy, and in many ways I still am. I dont have Superman #1s and Batman #1s on my wall, or 3 dozen AF #15s and AS #1s. I do have a ton of books between 20 - 200.00, and a growing selection of stuff over that price.

And alot of those guys who start at 300.00, end up as 1000.00 guys at some point, or more. And they tend to remember people who treated them right.

Ill be the $400.00 guy this time around. The wife does the budget. I spend what she says I can spend. :grin:

My want list this time consists exclusively of Mike Grell books so I will be focusing on finding those. Ill make it a point to visit your table and say hello.

For my self I wait until chicago has it's con's in the late summers some in the fall and I try and sell what books I can all year as well as take a % of O.T. when it comes around & hit the cons then.

1) hit the limited edition books ( some pay off big when graded ) then off to the CGC booth.

2) scout the floor for original art work & talk to the artist.

3) look for boxes of early silver age & bronze age books.

4) eat lunch or dinner

5) find all the cheap dreks I can find in cheap long boxes

I found spending a little money on CGC at a con is better than sending them away to be graded because I can pick up the number of books I submit to them before the comic con is finished and don't have to wait.

plus I don't have to factor in the shiiping and insurance I spent to send them plus I get to look at them right away.

Plus bugets are good to stick to because you still have money left over when it's all done. :grin:

when I started going to comic con's it was $50 to try and pick up what I could & as the years have come and gone little by little it got to be more bigger buget. :applause:

I don't walk in with a debt card & I take only what I planed on for that day NO MORE.

How do you best maximize your dollar spent?

Whats your plan/strategy when hitting a con?

Should I do most of my want list shopping early or should I wait til day 2/3 to maybe score some deals?

One thing it try to note is if the seller has a large amount of slabs. That usually means that they submit large numbers of books and may have them pre-screened. I try not to buy raw from these dealers since a book that may appear to be NM may have failed the pre-screening process.

I understand your logic.

But would you agree that a high grade 9.2+ non-key book which guides at under say $25 isn't worth grading? Even in large quantity? Even if submitted at the show? Would you agree that the cost basis for the book by the dealer (lets say even as low as 30% of guide), plus the grading/shipping/ins. cost on a book like this, especially an older one, would make the book impossible to sell at its guide price if graded?

maybe I should have made my statement more clear !!

hitting the limited edition books I'm talking about michael turner variants - aspen variants - mark silveresti variants- things in this nature.

Getting an x-men #218 and getting it graded wasn't what I was talking about, variant books graded high even in a 9.2 would still bring in alittle more than what was spent on book & grading.

getting in a show as early as possible helps ensure these books in high grade as well as getting in the front of the line before the people who do have non key issue books to have graded.

but i'm also not saying people who want non key issues books should sit in the back of the line because every one has the right to get what ever book they want graded as well as the people who are going to flip books or hold on to them like myself and hand them down to my son or grandchildren.

comic con's can make you or break you and I've seen both in the years of going to these things with my son. In chicago's wizard show as I was walking in to the show there was a man & wife or girlfriend pulling out credit cards to maybe pay for a book not sure I didn't offer to help them with their money but if you don't say there has to be a limit on what you can spend for reselling or personal collecting it can become a nightmare very quick.

How do you best maximize your dollar spent?

Whats your plan/strategy when hitting a con?

Should I do most of my want list shopping early or should I wait til day 2/3 to maybe score some deals?

One thing it try to note is if the seller has a large amount of slabs. That usually means that they submit large numbers of books and may have them pre-screened. I try not to buy raw from these dealers since a book that may appear to be NM may have failed the pre-screening process.

I understand your logic.

But would you agree that a high grade 9.2+ non-key book which guides at under say $25 isn't worth grading? Even in large quantity? Even if submitted at the show? Would you agree that the cost basis for the book by the dealer (lets say even as low as 30% of guide), plus the grading/shipping/ins. cost on a book like this, especially an older one, would make the book impossible to sell at its guide price if graded?

I am not sure about other guys, but I don't pre-screen everything. Probably less than 5% of the books I get in. To start with, it is not physically possible to grade a large percentage of your inventory to take to cons. Secondly, many collectors still prefer to buy raw books. Thirdly, the cost would be outrageous to do so. Also, when I do pre-screen, I tell them to reject anything they are not certain about. I don't want to pay for a 9.0 grade on a Hulk #128. I lose money on that book. Many times a borderline 9.2/9.4 will go directly into my boxes from those pre-screens.

I consistently have people come by the booth and tell me about a book they bought which graded 9.4 or 9.6. Sure, I could have slabbed that book, but there is always another book to send in. Not saying you are going to find a GL #76 raw at my table which is going to grade 9.4, but you might find a #67. You might not get an AS #122 raw which would grade 9.4, but you might find a #132.

I don't really know what alot of other guys do. I suspect that most would have similar stories.

Ill be the $400.00 guy this time around. The wife does the budget. I spend what she says I can spend. :grin:

My want list this time consists exclusively of Mike Grell books so I will be focusing on finding those. Ill make it a point to visit your table and say hello.

Cool, stop by the booth. I won't be there, but my employee will be glad to help you. I should have some GL/GA with Grell, some Superboy & the Legions with Grell, some Warlords, and I will also have some of the SuperVillain Team ups, and maybe some Marvel Triple Actions.

Cool, stop by the booth. I won't be there, but my employee will be glad to help you. I should have some GL/GA with Grell, some Superboy & the Legions with Grell, some Warlords, and I will also have some of the SuperVillain Team ups, and maybe some Marvel Triple Actions.

Oh, and Marvel Team Ups too. I have a 9.4/9.6 set of #100 - 150 in my ebay store right now if you are interested. Don't know what numbers you need. Also will have some early issues in my con stock.

Nothing to do with maximizing etc but a couple of important tips if this is your first con.

1) Wear the most comfortable clothes you have.

2) Wear the most comfoprtable shoes you have. This is paramount. Nothing like sore feet to take the fun out of things.

3) Bring a computer laptop bag or backpack to store your buys. Something you can sling over the shoulder. Keeps your hands free and keeps the books in nicer shape.

4) Bring some pre-filled bag/board combination you can slip your purchases into if they are either unboarded or in bags/boards. Remember you are going to be walking around for some hours with these so best protect them early.

As far as dealing with dealers:

1) Smile and speak clearly and with a positive attitude. A simple smile and a "Hi." before launching into what you are looking for helps dehumanize the sometimes dehumanizing convention feel.

2) Try not to monopolize the dealer's time. Be a presence there but be self-sufficient yet friendly. It will be appreciated by most dealers.

3) If the table is busy don't express exasperation or anger. Be cool. That too will be appreciated.

4) Whenever I feel the tirst or hunger upon me and I am at a table I try to let the dealer know I am hitting the concession stand and ask if they could use a drink or a snack. I am surprised at how many dealers will take you up on it and it is always appreciated.

I know some of these tips are maybe a bit silly but they held me in good stead during my con daze.

Actually Micheal they are not silly at all. Especially the food/drink one.

I will go you one further though, after you buy them a soda pop if you can get a dealer to trust you enough to allow them to take a P break, or booth surf while you watch their stuff.. THEN you can fill that backpack you mentioned earlier on the cheap!

I cleaned out Andrew last august this way, I told him a gang of small girls threatened me, so I let them take some books. He believed me.. doh!

Ze-

Nothing to do with maximizing etc but a couple of important tips if this is your first con.

2) Wear the most comfoprtable shoes you have. This is paramount. Nothing like sore feet to take the fun out of things.

3) Bring a computer laptop bag or backpack to store your buys. Something you can sling over the shoulder. Keeps your hands free and keeps the books in nicer shape.

4) Bring some pre-filled bag/board combination you can slip your purchases into if they are either unboarded or in bags/boards. Remember you are going to be walking around for some hours with these so best protect them early.

1) Smile and speak clearly and with a positive attitude. A simple smile and a "Hi." before launching into what you are looking for helps dehumanize the sometimes dehumanizing convention feel.

2) Try not to monopolize the dealer's time. Be a presence there but be self-sufficient yet friendly. It will be appreciated by most dealers.

3) If the table is busy don't express exasperation or anger. Be cool. That too will be appreciated.

4) Whenever I feel the tirst or hunger upon me and I am at a table I try to let the dealer know I am hitting the concession stand and ask if they could use a drink or a snack. I am surprised at how many dealers will take you up on it and it is always appreciated.

I know some of these tips are maybe a bit silly but they held me in good stead during my con daze.

Wow, that is excellent advice. Most dealers would respond very well to this. Those that don't...........just go to another table.

Great advice! Especially the shoes...

I am usually looking for one or 2 hard to find books, so I walk around as fast as I can, looking for those books first, then I take my time looking for "bargains"

I take a want list with me (I blow up the font, so I can see it well) a pen, to cross off the books I get (I've come home with 2 copies) and sticky notes, so I can remember what I paid for stuff.

All the tips people have given are great, the only thing I can add is, if you HAPPEN to be looking for books that are older than 1970, ask the dealer first, again, be careful with the tape, but COUNT the pages...don't weigh the books and think they "feel" OK, some GA books have very weird page counts, or are missing coupons, know what you are looking for and make sure the pages are all there, and don't just count one side. Lots of dealers don't have the time to count every page (I'm being generous here..;) .

Most of all, have a great time!

Actually Micheal they are not silly at all. Especially the food/drink one.

I will go you one further though, after you buy them a soda pop if you can get a dealer to trust you enough to allow them to take a P break, or booth surf while you watch their stuff.. THEN you can fill that backpack you mentioned earlier on the cheap!

I cleaned out Andrew last august this way, I told him a gang of small girls threatened me, so I let them take some books. He believed me.. doh!

Ze-

I wonder if Andrew read this thread...;) I think we pretzeled him out in Philly...;) (but then again, he held my books for me, so I would have bought him anything, since I didn't have to carry the bags..;)

Always use two hands when searching through comic boxes; never only one. Lift the book straight out with one hand while holding the books still in the box from falling forward with the other hand. Never bend the book back to see its front cover while lifting it only half way out of the box with one hand.

Never bend books back!

Always use two hands!

Ask the dealer to hold your bags behind his booth if you have to to free both hands!!