• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LOEG - Black Dossier: Blame DC!!!

24 posts in this topic

Angry Canadian LOEG fan here who is blaming DC for the legal issues surrounding its release. In case you don't know the book is NOT available in Canada and DC has expressed they will take legal action against anyone who tries to sell one outside of the US.

What isn't 100% percent clear to me is their stance regarding selling one to someone outside the US. I WANT ONE and have been waiting about 4 years for this darned thing to come out!!! :frustrated: Is anyone out there able to get me a copy? I don't care which cover it is...

I am going on the record to say I will NEVER buy a retail DC product again, even if this isn't 100% their fault. I hope someone from DC reads this and wises up.

Wow - there are enough problems with the comic book market as it is and now this... :censored:

Yeah, maybe this is a rantrant but I don't care!!!

Angry Canadian LOEG fan here who is blaming DC for the legal issues surrounding its release. In case you don't know the book is NOT available in Canada and DC has expressed they will take legal action against anyone who tries to sell one outside of the US.

What isn't 100% percent clear to me is their stance regarding selling one to someone outside the US. I WANT ONE and have been waiting about 4 years for this darned thing to come out!!! :frustrated: Is anyone out there able to get me a copy? I don't care which cover it is...

I am going on the record to say I will NEVER buy a retail DC product again, even if this isn't 100% their fault. I hope someone from DC reads this and wises up.

Wow - there are enough problems with the comic book market as it is and now this... :censored:

Yeah, maybe this is a rantrant but I don't care!!!

Its not DC's Fault...

Canadian laws dont allow

What is in the book? I'm not current on DC stuff, alas my screen handle.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier is the upcoming volume of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Like the previous volumes it will be written by Alan Moore, illustrated by Kevin O'Neill, and published under the America's Best Comics imprint of DC Comics.

The Black Dossier will slip in between volumes two and three. Its release date has been repeatedly pushed back: it was originally solicited for May 30, 2006, then October 25, 2006, then January 10, 2007, then October 24, 2007, then moved up October 3, 2007. and currently is slated for release on November 14, 2007.

Originally referred to as The Dark Dossier during early announcements of its existence, The Black Dossier will differ from the first two (and official statements for the third) volumes, it will be a self-contained graphic novel as opposed to a limited series later collected into a trade paperback. The story will have an overall arc that ties together a collection of stories set in different eras covering different characters (and moving beyond the Victorian setting for the first two). While the first two volumes included a number of extras, such as "Allan and the Sundered Veil" and "The New Traveller's Almanac," The Black Dossier will contain a much larger and more varied amount.

On August 6, 2007, Rich Johnston's Lying in the Gutters rumor column on the Comic Book Resources news site reported that The Black Dossier would not be published outside of the United States due to variance in international copyright laws, and furthermore claimed that League editor Scott Dunbier had been fired from DC Comics because of these issues of copyright. A DC press release confirmed it would not be released outside the United States "due to international copyright concerns and related issues"

I got it yesterday and it's something. I haven't read the whole thing, but it's quite interesting so far. There is an opening story of 15 pages or so in traditional comic-book, LOEG style set in 1958 I think wherein a pair of on-the-run severed agents scuffle with a James Bond stand-in and take possession of the Black Dossier, a compilation of texts forbidden by the previous British administration, a totallitarian, 1984/Big Brother style regime. The pair, whose identities and personal relationship is ambiguous at this point, settle into bed and read it. The last panel of that story is the first page of the "actual" dossier that you can then read through. It comes in various different types of stories, prose, illustrated fiction, a lost Shakespeare folio, comics, etc. It's printed on different types of paper, with a couple inserts stapled in, a 3-D section somewhere (glasses included), and it all seems extremely amusing. It reminds me a bit of of that Griffin and Sabine book from the early 90s that had all those extra bits stuck into it, popups and origami and postcards and whatnot. Then I guess the dossier ends and you're back in the world of the pair of agents and then stuff happens. But I'm only a couple chapters into the dossier, and I've tried not to skip ahead.

My shop had lots of copies with both covers, which I think were printed equally, so I might stash another sealed. That they put it out for $30 is pretty neat. I wouldn't want to give them ideas, but if they charged an extra $5 for it I wouldn't have blinked.

Aww the same thing happened with Goon satan baby issue....guess what I have one and I am in Canada haha. I am sure I will pick up the LOEG as well. Canada post won't check every single parcell that comes across the border especially during the christmas rush, get someone to purchase it and mail it to you.

Sam, we've gone thru this... both are hardcovers. Two different covers - one "regular" cover and one "variant" cover. Both shipped in equal numbers. The only difference between them is the cover design. The one to get is the design you prefer.

I got the "variant". Kevin O'Neil did a little Invisible Man sketch in it for me at the signing in NY on Wednesday.