• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you sell these books?

54 posts in this topic

So, I'm seriously thinking of selling my Lois Lane collection. Twenty-six slabbed books between issues 31 & 60. Only 5 books away from completing that range.

If it were you, how would you sell them?

1) Look at Overstreet and GPA, come up with prices, and list them on my own website?

2) List them on Comiclink with high(but not crazy high) asking prices, and see what kind of bids I get?

3) Sell them in a CL focused auction?

4) Same as #2, but on comicconnect.com.

5) Sell them in the coming comicconnect focused auction(or whatever they call it).

6) Sell them on eBay?

7) Another option that's not occurring to me.

I'd very much appreciate any opinions! :popcorn:

Jeff

I say the boards first. You can always ask a little bit more than you were hoping for and you will probably receive some PM's if not outright buys from people here. And you can always give a 10% deal to anyone buying on the boards seeing as that is the minimum you'd take home on the link not including shipping which you can recoup on these boards. I did this with a handful of slabbed books and the best were picked up by board members for pretty much what I was hoping for and the rest went up on the link and just about all of them sold there except for some high grade Harveys.

Ebay can be volatile and you could do alright but there is the inherent risk of the auction format. Recently however two highest grade DC 10 centers went apekrap on the bay that I was bidding on. One was a 7.5 mediocre book that went for double what I thought it should go for.

You probably know twice as much about anything I just said as I do so I will shut up now. Sorry.

I would go with a no reserve auction. There's something about the fact that a book WILL sell within a specified period that causes prices to spiral up if it's a book that at least 2 collectors must have. If you list a book at a crazy price on CL or Pedigree or some other consignment site, even guys who might want it might pass on it because they figure no one else will take it any time soon and they would rather use their funds elsewhere for the time being. Plus, it doesn't take long before your listing gets pushed down in CL's new listings.

I would go with a no reserve auction. There's something about the fact that a book WILL sell within a specified period that causes prices to spiral up if it's a book that at least 2 collectors must have. If you list a book at a crazy price on CL or Pedigree or some other consignment site, even guys who might want it might pass on it because they figure no one else will take it any time soon and they would rather use their funds elsewhere for the time being. Plus, it doesn't take long before your listing gets pushed down in CL's new listings.

Hey Tim,

Do you mean a no reserve auction on eBay?

Hey Tim,

I think eBay`s generally useless these days. I would say Heritage or CL auction.

Hey Tim,

I think eBay`s generally useless these days.

lol

I'm sure about a bajillion people would disagree with you on this... :makepoint:

Jeff,

I would suggest a Comiclink Focused auction first, and perhaps you can negotiate a slightly better commission structure with Josh because of the total dollar amount of books you are bringing to his site. Granted, high grade Lois Lanes won't be a major eye grabber (like a Tec 27), but its a solid offering of rare DCs, and you never know what those kooky DC collectors are willing to pay when a nice near complete run becomes available to them...

Keep reserves in place so that none sell too cheap. Anything that doesn't hit reserve, list on the site afterwards. Comiclink also has a policy of contacting the highest bidder after an auction if they were close to hitting the reserve, and making the books available to them. You might get a few more sales from that as well.

The more Comiclink matures, the more I'm becoming convinced they are the premiere place to transact rare high grade material and bring top dollar in the process.

if you do Heritage, i would negotiate that sales commission down to almost zero, if you can. certainly they are going to make money on the buyer's side anyways, and you've got a nice run of books that would seem to be appealing to the four or five LL collectors out there.

you could also offer them to Joanna at a small profit, and increase your Karma by a rather sizable amount

Hey Tim,

I think eBay`s generally useless these days. I would say Heritage or CL auction.

Didnt Rocketeer get pretty good prices for his Lois Lanes on ebay recently?

Honestly, you know what you have vested in the books and totally up to each individual whether they want to squeez every last penny out of it or what have you.

When I decide to sell something, I just sell it. Ending price is not that importent to me.

I used to get upset when I sold something and see it end for one price only to see the same thing come up for auction and sell for more.

Now I am finally at peace and dont sweat the small stuff :cloud9: