• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.6

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

216 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

71 posts in this topic

Going further back in time, Cardy at age 13 -

Wow, age 13?! That man was a fricken prodigy. Never knew. Thanks for showing Scrooge!

Agreed. That's some serious talent!

We haven't seen any Nick Cardy yet. He's kind of flying under the radar in this poll. I have fond memories of him as a kid, but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan now.

I`m not sure if the covers you posted were supposed to discredit Cardy, but I think they`re superb.

Not meant to discredit, he just hadn't been shown yet. I have a soft spot for Cardy (I've got a complete run of Aquaman), but I think his appeal has a lot to do with liking him as a kid. Like someone else said, he's solid, if not spectacular.

what all these scans (plus the many we havent seen) prove --- I HOPE --- , is that ALL of these people are in the top 1 percentile of talented artists of the last century. And while just a few are seriously in the running for BEST consideration above the others, whose work was touched by the Gods, all of these people have been artists all their lives, and made their careers and fed their families out of drawing pictures.

So...Hopefully people wont still be saying they "suck" just based on their cheap $20 a page funny book output!

A quick addendum to Scrooge's outstanding Cardy posts. (Thanks Scrooge, quite a few Cardy images I haven't seen.)

Cardy draws beautiful women. Having that ability is not a prerequisite for greatness, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't appreciate Cardy's work until recently. I'm on the bandwagon now.

fight_comics_53a.jpg

A quick addendum to Scrooge's outstanding Cardy posts. (Thanks Scrooge, quite a few Cardy images I haven't seen.)

No problem. Most came from The Art of Nick Cardy book. The Tarzan and Casey Ruggles strips came from Nick Cardy: Comic Strips book and, of course, the rest were from early issues of Aquaman.

Cardy draws beautiful women. Having that ability is not a prerequisite for greatness, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Be careful! You put up a scan of a page he did during the GA. I refrained from doing that to keep it in the SA and avoid the censure police cracking down on me. Otherwise, I'd have posted more, some of his Lady Luck and some of his movie posters in the 70's and magazine illos in the 50's.

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't appreciate Cardy's work until recently. I'm on the bandwagon now.

Even though, I enjoyed providing visual examples, I will admit that beyond his gorgeous SA covers and some select GGA work by Cardy, on the whole, his style does not suit my sensitivities much and he's not going to make my Top 5 and is in fact unlikely to make my Top 10 SA either.

Oh, and btw, Senorita Rio :luhv:

fight_comics_53a.jpg

I just borrowed from the library ‘Cartoon America: Comic Art in the Library of Congress’. “’Cartoon America’ draws from all of the diverse cartoon-related collections in the library...” Interesting book.

Let’s see who from the Silver Age list is featured in the book. A caveat – the book is about cartooning as a whole, not just comic books.

In the six pages devoted to mainstream comic books, Jack Kirby by name only and Marie Severin including a sample page.

In the six pages devoted to underground comic books, S. Clay Wilson by name only and Robert Crumb with multiple samples.

In the index, Crumb has six entries and Marie Severin has one. That’s it.

Not necessarily relevant to this poll, but an interesting view from the outside world.

Ah’s jes’ sayin’.

Jack

what all these scans (plus the many we havent seen) prove --- I HOPE --- , is that ALL of these people are in the top 1 percentile of talented artists of the last century. And while just a few are seriously in the running for BEST consideration above the others, whose work was touched by the Gods, all of these people have been artists all their lives, and made their careers and fed their families out of drawing pictures.

So...Hopefully people wont still be saying they "suck" just based on their cheap $20 a page funny book output!

This was what I was driving at when I punted Crumb last round and stirred up so much trouble. I didn't, and still don't, feel that Crumb's talent allowed him to carry on in the poll. Did he have talent? Yes. But he wasn't confined to the monthly 20 page grind like many of the others were. Take a look at Cardy's paintings for an idea of what these folks can do when they aren't grinding out the pages to feed a family. Even Dan DeCarlo, the premier Archie artist for me, could turn out some amazing pieces when he wasn't doing his monthly duties in the Archie style.

No problem. Most came from The Art of Nick Cardy book. The Tarzan and Casey Ruggles strips came from Nick Cardy: Comic Strips book and, of course, the rest were from early issues of Aquaman.

Be careful! You put up a scan of a page he did during the GA. I refrained from doing that to keep it in the SA and avoid the censure police cracking down on me. Otherwise, I'd have posted more, some of his Lady Luck and some of his movie posters in the 70's and magazine illos in the 50's.

Here's a nice late Silver Age Aquaman cover by Cardy, just posted by topofthetotem on the "this week" thread.

Jack

Aquaman45.jpg

I just borrowed from the library ‘Cartoon America: Comic Art in the Library of Congress’. “’Cartoon America’ draws from all of the diverse cartoon-related collections in the library...” Interesting book.

Let’s see who from the Silver Age list is featured in the book. A caveat – the book is about cartooning as a whole, not just comic books.

In the six pages devoted to mainstream comic books, Jack Kirby by name only and Marie Severin including a sample page.

In the six pages devoted to underground comic books, S. Clay Wilson by name only and Robert Crumb with multiple samples.

In the index, Crumb has six entries and Marie Severin has one. That’s it.

Not necessarily relevant to this poll, but an interesting view from the outside world.

Ah’s jes’ sayin’.

Sadly true - few members of the comic community got any mainstream or public recognition at that point. What names were in the book? Did any of the Mad artists/creators get a nod? What cartoon strips were noted? And who the hell was mentioned in the six pages on mainstream comics?

Jack