• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone go to WW Texas today?

61 posts in this topic

Not bad for a Friday. It was a little slow but every dealer I talked to was happy, people were spending money. Selection is not really that great, not a huge number of dealers selling the good stuff but it's out there to some degree.

I had a horrible time finding quality stuff. This is what's bad about WW Texas as it's the last big show of the year so by the time the dealers make it to us we get all the left overs from all the other shows.

One guy from Louisiana had some incredibly nice Iron Man 1-5's and Captain Marvel 1-5's but for the most part I spent most of the day getting sketches and looking for SA JLA's (which most were mid grade or lower)

I'll post some of the sketches I got in the OA forum tonight and then post some more tomorrow.

Hey Don,

It was nice meeting today. That guy from LA did have some really nice books.

Jim

Haha... did we meet? Were you with Jeff?

:shy:

I met so many from the forums today that I hadn't met before I had trouble keeping it all straight! :shy:

I know Newt was working the CGC booth and Krazy Kenny was volunteered like I was.

Oh and panther (army boy) was searching through Duncanvilles SA FF's (thumbs u

Did you pull the trigger on that other sketch we talked about, Don?

No, not yet... but WOW I'd love to. I'm thinking Tan or Benitez now.

I really wish I could convince one of them just to rough it and then one of them to clean it up and then one to ink it.

:cloud9:

Tan want's $100 for just a sketch in my book.... hell Jusko was FREE! :acclaim:

I did buy one of his prints though because he definitely did me a HUGE favor.

I may throw a C-note at Tan or Benitez in the morning and see what they say. They're sitting right next to each other so maybe I could get them both to work on it together!

Hey Don,

Jim

I met so many from the forums today that I hadn't met before I had trouble keeping it all straight! :shy:

I know Newt was working the CGC booth and Krazy Kenny was volunteered like I was.

I was the guy at Bedrock's booth. We talked about the Hush episode. Glad I was so memorable. meh

Hey Don,

Jim

I was the guy at Bedrock's booth. We talked about the Hush episode. Glad I was so memorable. meh

HAHA... I remember you of course I just didn't remember your forum name. I asked you if you were going to the dinner tomorrow night and you're not! Too bad for you! Saviano's :cloud9:

My day of my first comic con in 25 years was bittersweet.

Time arrived at the convention center: 10:45 AM

When I arrived at the CC, I was asked by rather gruffly if I had a VIP ticket. "Yes!" I replied with a grin and enthusiasm. I was then ushered into the "VIP Check in line" where I stood for about 25 minutes before I was told by the rather chunky and obnoxious security representative that I had torelocate at the END of another VIP check in line. There were about 200 "VIPs" in line so I wasn't happy.

While outside smoking a cigarette and blowing off some steam I met Don (Buffyfan) real nice fella :thumbsup:

Well I finally got checked in (after an hour in line) and then moved to ANOTHER line to wait to go into the con. I met john72texas while in line.

Well, after I got into there the first place I went was the CGC booth and said hello to Paul.

Then I went to Dale Robert's table. He was nice enough to have some books set aside for me. Unfortunately they weren't the grade I was looking for, which is my fault, as I should have been more specific as to what grades I needed.

Went to Bedrock City's table. Met Doctor_Watson, MrBedrock and tarzangeek. VERY nice people and some nice books are there to be had.

As I made my way through the con I had the sense of being in an airport. Budding Comic artists were approaching me like Hare Krishnas or Jehovahs Witnesses, kind of annoying at first but Istarted giving the polite nod after I discovered ignoring them didn't work.

Graham cracker comics were there. Had some nice stuff, a little high. I haven't tested my negotiating prowess yet, but they will be tested before all is said and done. The guy from Louisiana DID have a stack of IM #1s AND IMSM #1 (CALLING CALAMERICA!!!!!)

Anyways, I basically got an IM #1 and two FFs for a VERY good price!

Anyways, I spent most of my day talking to MrBedrock and Doctor_Watson. The ushers were about to flog me because I stayed after longer than I was supposed to :shrug:

Anyways, that was DAY 1 for me. Not too bad. Kind of weird everyone knew me on sight. Didn't think I stood out that much lol

Thomas

I may go ahead and pick up an extra Iron Man #1 from the Louisiana guy and submit it to CGC tomorrow because the ones I looked at were at a minimum 9.2. same with the Captain Marvel's.

This guy was ready to deal also as he wanted to sell 9.2 minimum copies of Captain Marvel 1-5 plus he was going to throw in some "special" Wolverine comic AND a New Teen Titans #94 (whatever that is) all for $175! :o

He started at 2 and a quarter but then really pushed to sell them.

They were definite 9.2's though IMO as there were a few too many spine ticks but those covers are tough to find in the correct color as they tend to fade a lot, especially in the south. I'm pretty sure this was the first time I had seem them in person in the correct unfaded color.

His JLA's were ok, but a little too under grade of what I'm looking for. Prices were excellent though because he was offering 50% off of prices marked.

Sadly, the best JLA number #2 I found (the PRIMARY book I was looking to buy at this con) was a 5.0 PGX graded copy at the PGX booth! It wasn't for sale though although the guy at the booth said he would call the owner for me and make an offer on my behalf. I may make a low-ball offer on it and then crack it out in front of them if my offer is accepted. :devil:

I may go ahead and pick up an extra Iron Man #1 from the Louisiana guy and submit it to CGC tomorrow because the ones I looked at were at a minimum 9.2. same with the Captain Marvel's.

This guy was ready to deal also as he wanted to sell 9.2 minimum copies of Captain Marvel 1-5 plus he was going to throw in some "special" Wolverine comic AND a New Teen Titans #94 (whatever that is) all for $175! :o

He started at 2 and a quarter but then really pushed to sell them.

They were definite 9.2's though IMO as there were a few too many spine ticks but those covers are tough to find in the correct color as they tend to fade a lot, especially in the south. I'm pretty sure this was the first time I had seem them in person in the correct unfaded color.

His JLA's were ok, but a little too under grade of what I'm looking for. Prices were excellent though because he was offering 50% off of prices marked.

Sadly, the best JLA number #2 I found (the PRIMARY book I was looking to buy at this con) was a 5.0 PGX graded copy at the PGX booth! It wasn't for sale though although the guy at the booth said he would call the owner for me and make an offer on my behalf. I may make a low-ball offer on it and then crack it out in front of them if my offer is accepted. :devil:

The IM's I don't think will garner a 9.2 due to the tanning. I personally think I scored his best copy (no spine tics, high cover gloss, perfect centering), and I think with the PQ and slight tanning on the edges I will be lucky if it's VF+/ VF/NM

JMO of course. I'm gonna sub it and see what happens