• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOCKED!

58 posts in this topic

I just spent a few minutes looking at the scan of ComicKeys' Showcase#8. Its a remakable piece of work. The scan has been worked up in such a way as to make Heritage's scanners blush! All the colors are as clean as a whistle - - no muddy blues or blacks in the red, or blue or reds in the bright yellows. No scanner does this unless punched up to do it. Also, all the edges are perfectly square! Theres no lifelikeness to it. Its a perfect plastic created image. It isnt a picture of an actual comic book - - its a recreation of one. The kind of thing we will see in that new Marvel slipcased book of covers due out in Christmas.

I even looked closely at the pixel pattern as we all learned from Perry's remarkably innovative new technique he shared with us: and sure enough the pattern is true!

Truly shocking!

If the book is that sharp, looking like a recreation (wouldn't that be something...someone actually having the time to assemble, how many tens of thousands of pixels into exactly the correct sequence to perfectly recreate a comic book cover?), you should be bidding on it!!

So what do you think he would send you if you won it? 175,000 different, individual pixels in jigsaw form, a bunch of punched up colors (in jigsaw form), a digital recreation of a Showcase 8 (I guess like a color Xerox), or a Showcase 8 that looks just like the image?

In playing devil's advocate, I would most certainly think that if this seller was sending out any of the above other than books that match the image, his Ebay record would be far less impressive (what is it? 1000-5, 1000-3?). That is unless you think that 1000 buyers wouldn't notice within 3 months time (time enough to leave negative feedback) that they received a digital recreation in the mail instead of a comic book and left positive feedback before CGC could inform them of that.

I honestly don't think you understood what I meant by Pixel mapping. Nobody ever offered to host my AF15 comparisons so I could fully show exactly what I meant verbally. I asked a total of about 10 times and was ignored and yet all someone has to do on this Forum to have someone else volunteer to host borderline nonsensical pictures of questionable importance is to ask and it's done immediately. Puzzling!

Then again, if you remember, Dice (who has been one of the most helpful members on this Forum in actually addressing these technicalities) had said that there may be a gliche from even the same issue to the same issue in the way pixels line up (causing anolomies in precise mapping) due to individual scanner different characteristics.

Unfortunately, we never got to that level, because we never got to the first level because nobody was interested. Acting on his suggestion and using my books here for live experiments, I already do see a gliche. If the book is not lined up exactly the same way, in precisely the same minute grid as the one that has been scanned before it for comparison, the entire relative position of pixels is thrown off.

And it looks like Dice's suggestion may be right again in that respect. I'm still trying to make pixel mapping work consistanly.

Taking Dice's suggestion one step further, I do also notice that a line of pixels being compared to the same line on two similar issues will not only show differences if color touched or the color is broken by a crease. There is also drastic differences created by surface imperfections on adjacent pixels. For one, even a slight impression on a cover that can barely be seen with the naked eye, greatly magnified, will show up on the enlarged, saturated pixel map as a difference in the line due to the surface depth of the impression creating a minute shadow on each side of said depression.

This throws off the results also but it may just be a matter of finding the correct adjustment to offset this. I just started working on this a few days ago and am trying to refine it. Like Dice said, This may not be a viable, conclusive method for identifying alteration, but I'm still trying to make it work.

That's usually the stock post whenever anyone tries to be helpful around here. Like I said before, you should tell your Board moderators that you would like no new members to be given posting priviledges.

From my brief understanding, Hammer was a disruptive element here. There's old posts and entire threads with fights, name calling, threats, accusations, and everything in general that has no place on a comic forum.

I myself have made approx. 40 posts thusfar and about 85% of them have been attempts to contribute potentially helpful info to the best of my ability.

I myself have made approx. 40 posts thusfar and about 85% of them have been attempts to contribute potentially helpful info to the best of my ability.

ScarFace is in da Hizzo, to punkslap some Bizzos ! ! ! acclaim.gif

Me an da fellas did a forum search on the word "thusfar" for posts in the last year. The results were rather funny. devil.gif

You don't know what I'm yapping about?

Maybe there are a group of monkeys hammering away randomly at your keyboard and every once in a while, they type out a complete sentence complete with funny graemlins and manage to hit the send tab (by astronomical odds).

In that case, that would concisely explain your above sequence of posts and many others I've read of yours on various Forum subjects.

Anything's possible in the real world of infinite possibilities. Do your simians have the password to your PC?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You don't know what I'm yapping about?

Maybe there are a group of monkeys hammering away randomly at your keyboard and every once in a while, they type out a complete sentence complete with funny graemlins and manage to hit the send tab (by astronomical odds).

In that case, that would concisely explain your above sequence of posts and many others I've read of yours on various Forum subjects.

Anything's possible in the real world of infinite possibilities. Do your simians have the password to your PC?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

First of all you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. And second...nah, that pretty much covers it.

Yes! I'm sure the results were inspiring. As you improve your grasp of the English language, you'll notice alot of that. Repetitive words. You're very intelligent for pointing that out, Scarface.

What an amazing Forum, linguistically. There's been just so many usages of incredible fan-boy favorite words like:

thusfar

hence

rather

funny

the

and

in

maybe

d'uh (and its variation: d'oh)

punkslap

beee-yattch

and my favorite word of all: etc.

You're 100% correct, Scarface. These exciting words do thrill the imagination and tantalize the senses just thinking about them! cloud9.gif

ScarFace is in da Hizzo, to punkslap some Bizzos ! ! ! acclaim.gif

Me an da fellas did a forum search on the word "thusfar" for posts in the last year. The results were rather funny. devil.gif

And here are the damning search results for "thusfar":

Re: SHOCKED! Comics General Perry 09/29/03 10:58 PM

Re: Which SA key would command the most $? Silver Comics MrNice 08/19/03 11:55 PM

Re: Hulk 107 9.9 Silver Comics BlackShotzy 06/06/03 04:13 PM

Re: Hulk 107 9.9 Silver Comics BlackShotzy 06/03/03 10:54 PM

Re: New Grading Company! CGG!! Comics General hammer 04/02/03 10:00 PM

Re: New Grading Company! CGG!! Comics General hammer 04/02/03 09:40 PM

Re: Fun at other's expense The Water Cooler hammer 03/28/03 07:16 PM

Re: CGC Certified World's Oldest Graded 10.0! Comics General hammer 03/19/03 09:01 PM

Re: FF #1 vs. AF #15 Comics General hammer 01/19/03 03:45 PM

Re: Starting a small Alex Maleev fansite Comics General hammer 01/12/03 03:22 AM

Re: Supa-Pimp..have you gone crazy altogether?? Comics General **DONOTDELETE** (Methuselah) 10/27/02 05:00 AM

Re: this is pretty funny- ASM 9 Stan Lee File Copy Comics General **DONOTDELETE** (Methuselah) 10/25/02 02:29 AM

I see a common thread. That's my "theorey" & I'm sticking to it! laughing.gif

BUSTED!!!

smily961.gif