• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 300 jagged edge

11 posts in this topic

I have a bunch of ASM 300's, and half of them have this same defect:

300edge.jpg

A jagged edge down the right hand side of the cover.

Anyone have any more info on this? Was it a problem with the print run on ASM 300 specifically? I'm sure it's been discussed before but I have searched to no avail!

How does it affect grade? I assume it would knock it down to FN at best, but since it's technically a production defect I'm not sure.

Funnily enough the only truly perfect copy I have is my own 'reader' copy purchased off the shelf back in 88, which is a safe 9.6-9.8. The others I picked up later in 88 whenever I saw one going cheap, as it was a 'hot book' almost overnight.

EDIT: Note that I pinched that picture from another website where I found a very brief discussion of the same thing. I'm at work* right now otherwise I'd scan one of my own!

*Clearly, working hard! ;)

That's a very common printing defect on that book. I've asked the question before. CGC has said it does not factor into grading from 9.6 down. I doubt you could get a 9.8 or higher, but CGC has given books with that defect 9.6. (thumbs u

... CGC has given books with that defect 9.6. (thumbs u

O RLY? hm

I dislike the ragged-edge copies, but if I could slab them at a decent grade I daresay they could help to fund other purchases... :grin:

Thanks for the info! Any idea what caused this problem? Is it something like Marvel chipping? A dull guillotine blade perhaps?

... CGC has given books with that defect 9.6. (thumbs u

O RLY? hm

I dislike the ragged-edge copies, but if I could slab them at a decent grade I daresay they could help to fund other purchases... :grin:

Thanks for the info! Any idea what caused this problem? Is it something like Marvel chipping? A dull guillotine blade perhaps?

Here's a link to my query in the Ask CGC Forum:

ASM #300

I have quite a few of these books I bought off the racks when they first came out. I have 30 to be exact. Well my nephew and I do. I looked and found 4 with this rough edge cut. The rest are all fine. These were a excellent buy. Too bad the Silver Silver Foils weren't....

That's a nice stash! Too bad my multiple copies of Spawn 1, Bloodshot 1, Turok 1, etc never rose to the same heights! :sick: Ah, hindsight...

ASM #300

Very interesting, thanks!

So, I guess the rule would be that when buying ASM300's, it takes them down to a 6.0 at best, and when selling ASM300's, it's a production defect that does not affect grade... hm

ASM #300

Very interesting, thanks!

So, I guess the rule would be that when buying ASM300's, it takes them down to a 6.0 at best, and when selling ASM300's, it's a production defect that does not affect grade... hm

Exactly! lol

On a related ASM topic, I have a few copies of 252 and have noticed that the top left corner has a chip that appears to be part of the bindery process. Anyone else notice this? A pal has several copies from a different source and most of those books also have this chip. Secret Wars 8 also has a rough top edge on the front cover on a lot of copies I've seen.

I think the production quality of #252 must have been pretty shaky in general. I've got a couple of copies from different sources, and all of them have a series of production tears along the bottom edge.