• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it worth traveling to Comic Conventions?

14 posts in this topic

I haven't been to a convention since I started buying only high-grade JLA CGC slabs. I've bought all of my slabs off the internet or from forum members.

Is it worth my time and effort to try and find some reasonably priced CGC 9.4 or better slabs at conventions?

Depends on why you're going to the con. If you're going to see old friends or meet favorite creators, then it's probably worth it. Also, it's probably worth it if your want list is very large and generic.

It probably not worth it if your want list is very specific. The chances of finding what you need are really small unless you know some dealers with inventory that you need are attending...

Jim

I haven't been to a convention since I started buying only high-grade JLA CGC slabs. I've bought all of my slabs off the internet or from forum members.

Is it worth my time and effort to try and find some reasonably priced CGC 9.4 or better slabs at conventions?

Reasonably priced slabs and convention rarely are used in the same sentence. Depending on how much you have to spend on a show should be the determining factor.

If you can spare a few hundred dollars to get there and more money for food and hotels then yea, it's worth it.

If you have a small budget that only goes to books ...no.

depending on where you live in ohio, the midohio con is fun to go to even if you don't buy anything.

It can be lots of fun, but a great feeling comes from buying something. :insane: Even if I can't find something that I really really need, I've still got to buy something.

Andy

Reasonably priced slabs and convention rarely are used in the same sentence. Depending on how much you have to spend on a show should be the determining factor.

If you can spare a few hundred dollars to get there and more money for food and hotels then yea, it's worth it.

If you have a small budget that only goes to books ...no.

Well put. A big part of the con is not for buying but meeting people and seeing stuff you've never seen before. Buying is just a small part of it. Our time spent at WW Chicago was mind blowing and it would not have been the same without all the good times we spent with other people.

Deals can be had at a con but it takes work and patience. Slabs are generally priced hi.

R.

Don't forget box diving. You never know what you'll find.

Yeah, and after that, be sure to check out the comics.

:lol:

not worth it if you are limited to certain grade slabs from a specific title

maybe worth it if you're looking for raw books to slab and trust your eyeballs re: grading and restoration