• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.8

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

249 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

84 posts in this topic

Im surprised at the Infantino votes. He was one of the most notable and noticeable stylists of the decade. He helped save Batman with his 'new look.' Created the unique look for ADAM STRANGE AND THE FLASH. Sure, with the wrong inker he was a weird whirling dervish, lots of lines etc, but overall, hes definitely a keeper at thi sstage.

Im surprised at the Infantino votes. He was one of the most notable and noticeable stylists of the decade. He helped save Batman with his 'new look.' Created the unique look for ADAM STRANGE AND THE FLASH. Sure, with the wrong inker he was a weird whirling dervish, lots of lines etc, but overall, hes definitely a keeper at thi sstage.

Then there's that "let's help re-invent superhero comics and kick off the Silver Age" thing -- for those that think that might be relevant. :juggle:

for me, I love Infantino inked by Anderson, that reigns him in a bit & balances his energy with a bit of polish. His late 60's work is horrendous though. I look at one of those batman covers & I really am turned right off.

For Silver Age, I can't imagine dumping Infantino so early. He should make it into the top ten!

Here are two examples that I posted early on -- when he was paired with Anderson, wonderful things happened. To me, this is prime-cut Silver Age artwork.

47384-mis90.jpg

47383-flash125.jpg

If you reject Silver Age DC out of hand, I can understand not crediting him with reinventing the look of superheroes. Sure, Kirby's and Ditko's revolution preceded him, but his slick work was very important at DC and didn't owe much to Kirby and virtually nothing to Ditko.

The problem may be that some of you remember his late 60s to 80s work, especially at Marvel, which really was dreadful. When did he sputter out? When he started doing editorial work?

Here's 1979 and 1984. I have no nightmares of this stuff at all, since I was out of comics at the time.

Jack

48128-2722_4_17.jpg.98402a94eef6deab0850d37cbb0e0a9a.jpg

48129-2406_4_024.jpg.c422c5af979827778a37ba50dfceac21.jpg

The same could be said of Kirby's return to Marvel - dig out his Captain America covers around issue 200 if you want to barf. But...., that is not how I choose to remember him....,