• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.8

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

249 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

84 posts in this topic

The noob weighs in...

I bumped Everett & Swan -

Everett is GA all the way - sure, he had a few highlights on Sub Mariner & Hulk (I actually reaaaaallly like his Hulk in TTA) but he was full throttle party guy and didn't have a ton of output.

Swan was just a worker bee who could crank out nice, homogenized, white bread cleanliness in accordance to the style guide. Really nice, dependable, quality stuff, but nothing to write home about.

I see the votes for Heath are starting to pick up steam. Here are a couple of nice Heath Sea Devils pages for those that may not have seen his work in that book. (DC, if you're reading this, I want my Sea Devils Archive dag-nabbit!)

sea_devils_0601.jpg

sea_devils_0602.jpg

I like Sea Devils too, although it was starting to fizzle even before the Go-Go Checks arrived. Purcell wasn't bad at all -- I still think that his cover of 19 resembles Ditko.

(Thinking about it more -- how many have I read vs looking at the covers and putting them in a pile? Not many. Sorta like Rip Hunter...Time Master.)

Jack

Good stuff, to be sure - but if I were to do a quick two-second glance/guesstimate, I woulda thought that that was a Cardy cover. (except of course, for the part where it says 'Russ Heath' real big... :insane:) DC had a way of 'housing' their stuff in a way that lent itself to more 'generic looking' covers, whereas, IMO, Marvel just tried to make Kirby's knack for composition the norm...

I say we concentrate on the remaining GA guys first. Then dissect the SA mainstays who dont hold up against the Big Guys.

I think we've pretty much booted those GA hangers-on by now:

Bill Everett, John Severin, and Wally Wood could be considered in that batch.

We all agree that Everett needs to go. People have made a case for Severin to stay. What about Wood: aside from the Tower books and Daredevil, what are his SA accomplishements?

So far things are going pretty predictably, but I'm amazed that Infantino and Anderson seem poised to get the boot.

My top 5 would be:

Kubert

Anderson

Kirby

Infantino

Ditko

I'm also surprised that Romita is getting so few votes. Must be all the Spidey fans. To me he's the Marvel version of Curt Swan--solid, nice, iconic, but just not very exciting.

I say we concentrate on the remaining GA guys first. Then dissect the SA mainstays who dont hold up against the Big Guys.

Who else besides Everett do you consider leftover GA? Wood?

JPS

good point. thought there were more left!

That's some really nice Heath!

Now here's a beautiful Murphy Anderson sci-fi back-up story from Mystery in Space 61. The Silver Age didn't get much better than this, in my humble opinion. Great story too!

MIS61p1.jpg

MIS61p2.jpg

MIS61p3.jpg

MIS61p4.jpg

MIS61p5.jpg

MIS61p6.jpg

MIS61p7.jpg

MIS61p8.jpg

I love Russ Heath from this time period. Sea Devils is one of my absolutely favorite books just because of his art. I didn't really grow up reading any war comics, so that came later for me.

I also am amazed that people are voting for Murphy Anderson. He is clearly one of the top 5-6 guys, regardless of how this vote turns out.