• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definition: Spine - tight and flat

2 posts in this topic

I'm in the midst of rebagging and grading my collection and I'm stumped at how to properly grade the 'spine'. It wouldn't help to scan them as you can't really see anything.

How can I describe this condition?

When a comic is purchased off the rack, the spine would be slightly bulbous and then the rest of the comis tapers off to the right edge.

If you stack comics flat on top on each other and leave them for an extended period of time (wrong thing to to) the comis gets flatter, but the transition from the bulbous spine is more pronounced. (steeper?)

Does this greatly diminish the grade? The spine is still tight, flat and not rolled, but it doesn't look like it did when purchased.

Does anyone understand my description?

Whitey

I think I know what you're talking about. The spine isn't rolled, but has a hint of extra "curl" to it.

I'd hazard a guess that a book that had it wouldn't advance above 9.4, but that books 9.2 and below wouldn't be affected (unless the curl was especially pronounced, enough to knock it out of VF). That's just a guess though.