• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help! I Can't Change My Avatar!!

18 posts in this topic

Can't seem to change my 893censored-thumb.gif avatar. It's very strange - when I try to upload a new avatar, I get this message:

Warning: Unable to create '/var/www/html/usericons/783.jpg': Permission denied in /var/www/html/changebasic.php on line 211

And, after trying to upload a new avatar over and over, a couple of times, my avatar will change to one of my old ones, even though that's not the file I'm trying to upload. And then it'll switch back to the one I have now. What gives? Anyone else having this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?

Gene

I think someone already posted a solution to this.

Upload the new avatar you want in a post and let the forum host it that way.

Then copy the url from it into where you go to change your avatar.

It has something to do with not being able to upload directly from your hard drive into the avatar space. confused-smiley-013.gif

It has something to do with not being able to upload directly from you hard drive into the avatar space. confused-smiley-013.gif

You da man... tongue.gif

Well, that seems to work, but I've never had this problem in the past! Why the change all of a sudden? And where's the best place to have the Forum host your avatar? I put a pic on the Testing...1...2...3 board, but those messages get deleted after 3 months. Should I just sneak an attachment onto a random regular post?

There must be some code that's 893censored-thumb.gif up here...Arch???

Gene

No...I tried uploading several different JPEGs, all within the size limit and including some of the previous avatars I used. They open up fine using browsing/picture-viewing software and attach fine to posts.

You only get those kind of errors when there's something wrong with the code...don't know if it affects everyone or some sub-set of people which includes me.

Gene

Well, that seems to work, but I've never had this problem in the past! Why the change all of a sudden? And where's the best place to have the Forum host your avatar? I put a pic on the Testing...1...2...3 board, but those messages get deleted after 3 months. Should I just sneak an attachment onto a random regular post?

There must be some code that's 893censored-thumb.gif up here...Arch???

Gene

I think it's just a "bug" in the forum software or the hosting part of it. Not sure if Arch is aware of the problem or not, but I've heard a couple of people mention the problem. You could sneak an attachement onto a regular post. You can search on posts that are over 6 months old, so I don't think they actually get deleted and you shouldn't have to keep re-doing it.

It has something to do with not being able to upload directly from your hard drive into the avatar space. confused-smiley-013.gif

*Ahem*

That would have been Me!

acclaim.gif