• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone buying high grade PGX and then submitting to CGC?

16 posts in this topic

Just wondered how many out there are buying up high grade PGX issues and then submitting them to CGC hoping that they will receive a similar grade.

I am a Tomb of Dracula fanatic and bought a TOD #2 in 9.8 PGX about six months ago. I submitted it to CGC and was delighted when it came back 9.8 CGC. Although I was taking a risk, I believe I certainly increased the market value of the book by doing this. Now I am fortunate enough to have the only TOD #2 in 9.8 on the census.

I recently acquired a TOD #3 and TOD #4, both in 9.8 PGX. They look pretty damn good and I think I will try my luck again and submit the books to CGC for grading; especially since there is no TOD #3 or #4 in 9.8 on the census.

I have two PGX books at this time which I keep meaning to submit to CGC. Hopefully I will treat myself to doing so for my B-day this year. Just I'm a little disappointed that I sent books in the 1st part of Sept to CGC and I still haven't gotten them back so I am waiting to see.

I have picked up PGX 9.0s and 9.2s in the past that came back as CGC 9.4s and 9.6s. The only time I took a chance on a lower grade PGX was a GL #76 PGX 8.0 that I just resold in August for a decent profit - it was not worth sending it to CGC. The rule of thumb based on my experience is that the 9.0 - 9.4 PGX books from a couple of years ago generally come back at least one grade higher from CGC. There grading seems to have loosened up over the past year from what I have seen, plus they have too many books with slight color touch that go unnoticed.

I have wondered about that batman 9.6.....Probably some dealer from the 80's or 90's.....

More like 2004. Originated with Terrance Leder, a scam dealer with a "close relationship" with CGG/PGX who had multiple comics make it through their grading process with different forms of resto and trimming...

Jim

That one would break your heart. :P

Yea, that was mine.....ouch!

At least I got my money back plus grading fees.

I wouldn't do it again unless I had a good idea of who owned the book previously.