• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.9

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

222 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

33 posts in this topic

I'm moving this post from the last round, since most probably missed it...

-----------------

Here's my last attempt to save one of the SA heavy-weights from an early exit :eek:

This is an example of Infantino's work on Adam Strange...arguably his best run in the SA. I love his Flash stories, but I think his imagination really peaked when he set to drawing the alien landscapes of Rann--not to mention the voluptuous figure of Alanna.

Someone mentioned that Infantino is best when he had Anderson inking him, and I agree (Anderson inked this story). By the same token, many of Infantino's stories suffered from mediocre inkers (like Joe Giella on Flash). In fact, Infantino almost never inked his own work.

The issue of different inkers makes it tough to rate some of these SA artists. Buscema comes to mind. When he inked his own pencils, he is one of my favorite artists, but this rarely happened.

Anyhow, here's Adam Strange from Mystery in Space 57...

MIS57p1.jpg

MIS57p2.jpg

MIS57p3.jpg

MIS57p4.jpg

MIS57p5.jpg

MIS57p6.jpg

MIS57p7.jpg

MIS57p8.jpg

MIS57p9.jpg

Infantino's early work is so good, he is off my list for now. I still want to puke when I see his late 60's work though.

That's the thing - the SA ended in 1969-70, so you need to take an artist's entire work into consideration.

Colan again, because I just never got into his style and always hated that he ruined my favorite title, Captain America, from the 110s to the 130s with his dark, swirling artwork which was utterly unsuited to Captain America.

Everett because his notable work was in the GA.

In very close voting, Nick Cardy & Curt Swan were voted off the list.

:mad: Ridiculous! The boards have demonstrated yet again that they are either blind or devoid of taste!

I really don't understand why you're slumming it here, to be honest. :baiting:

I agree about Cardy, though. Hugely underrated and innovative artist. A large proportion of his best work was in the Bronze Age, however.

As for Swan, it's most likely that people tend to equate him with the generic DC "house style". He was good, but not quite as good to elicit such outrage for being voted off. :P

:mad: Ridiculous! The boards have demonstrated yet again that they are either blind or devoid of taste!

It was one of the terms of my inheritance. lol

As for Swan, it's most likely that people tend to equate him with the generic DC "house style". He was good, but not quite as good to elicit such outrage for being voted off. :P

True. My outrage was really directed at Cardy being voted off.

It was one of the terms of my inheritance. lol

True. My outrage was really directed at Cardy being voted off.

It's the new conciliatory Tim! :o

Seriously though, Cardy being voted off despite being a personal favorite of mine is no biggie in the context of this poll - he's not as synonymous with the Silver Age as some of the other choices who may indeed be technically and artistically less gifted than him.

a vote against Murphy Anderson is a vote against the Silver Age style. Anderson, Kane, Kubert and Infantino define DC in the Silver Age for me, and are all deserving of top ten positions, even though i personally dislike Infantino's style.

John Severin and Gene Colan. while both are highly respected artists and talented in their own way, neither defines anything to me personally. Colan benefits from having worked on a bunch of mainstream Marvel titles, none of which did anything particularly interesting during his run(s). I mean, can anyone point to a specific key character or story arc that Colan did who would not have been just as good or important in the hands of any other artist on this list? Sure, he's got a dynamic style, but it seems like all of his runs define the low point of that particular character during the Silver Age.

John Severin was too much on the fringe of popularity during the SA, and would have been much more popular had his style worked in the superhero genre.

I'm moving this post from the last round, since most probably missed it...

-----------------

Here's my last attempt to save one of the SA heavy-weights from an early exit :eek:

This is an example of Infantino's work on Adam Strange...arguably his best run in the SA. I love his Flash stories, but I think his imagination really peaked when he set to drawing the alien landscapes of Rann--not to mention the voluptuous figure of Alanna.

Someone mentioned that Infantino is best when he had Anderson inking him, and I agree (Anderson inked this story). By the same token, many of Infantino's stories suffered from mediocre inkers (like Joe Giella on Flash). In fact, Infantino almost never inked his own work.

The issue of different inkers makes it tough to rate some of these SA artists. Buscema comes to mind. When he inked his own pencils, he is one of my favorite artists, but this rarely happened.

Anyhow, here's Adam Strange from Mystery in Space 57...

Thanks for this JohnT.

The Infantino/Anderson Adam Strange stories are in a different league. They may not even be playing the same game.

Infantino's layouts on an Adam Strange story are almost a literal interpretation of the book's title. All of those drawings are about space. They're expansive, sweeping, and epic.

I won't be voting against either one of them anytime soon, altho it looks like Anderson won't be around for much longer. Too bad. His Hawkman and Atomic Knights series were great.