• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.10

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

270 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

84 posts in this topic

Steranko and Colan have always been my favorites. It looks like Gene is about to go so here's a parting shot.

icons2-color.jpg

There is some really bad drawing going on in there. What the heck is going on with DD's left leg? OUCH!

Dracula's got gorilla arms

Gene Colan never had a firm grasp on anatomy. and by "firm grasp," i of course mean "basic understanding"

I wouldnt go that far... He just chose to illustrate in a more fluid style. Strict adherence to Anatomy is not every artists requirement when picking up a pencil.

oh i agree.

sincerely,

Rob Liefeld

honestly, that's kind of a crock. it's not as though Colan was going for a Disneyesque departure from reality. Kirby wouldn't delineate musculature in a realistic fashion, but it was clear that "realism" was secondary to dynamic panel construction and perspective. Colan draws as though he wants to have a realistic feel, but his lumpy muscles and terrible proportions make it difficult for me to enjoy his style. except when he did Howard the Duck. that was more along his line of expertise

Gene Colan never had a firm grasp on anatomy. and by "firm grasp," i of course mean "basic understanding"

I wouldnt go that far... He just chose to illustrate in a more fluid style. Strict adherence to Anatomy is not every artists requirement when picking up a pencil.

oh i agree.

sincerely,

Rob Liefeld

honestly, that's kind of a crock. it's not as though Colan was going for a Disneyesque departure from reality. Kirby wouldn't delineate musculature in a realistic fashion, but it was clear that "realism" was secondary to dynamic panel construction and perspective. Colan draws as though he wants to have a realistic feel, but his lumpy muscles and terrible proportions make it difficult for me to enjoy his style. except when he did Howard the Duck. that was more along his line of expertise

good old Liefeld! It occurred to me before loggin in today that my comment might invite replies stating that I am defending so many Modern comics "greats' that, in vact, CANNOT draw well. Liefeld and so many others grew up reading comics and developed styles based solely on other comics artists, and never learned how to draw... just copy.

Colan and his generation all had a more rounded art education including anatomy, etc.

but it was clear that "realism" was secondary to dynamic panel construction and perspective.
I think this described Colan as well. But Kirbys approach was far more bombastic; whereas Colans was far subtler. Kirbys characters burst off the page; Colans emerged from smoke.

Colan's not a particular favorite of mine, I just get worked up when people say these guys "cant draw". Sure we have our favorites that appeal to us...and there have been a handful of true 'geniuses' in our ghettoized field. But ALL the hacks we love to hate could draw better than 99% of the rest of us! Even Don Heck, the original SA Hack poster boy.

Best to just say certain artists styles just dont do anything for you (meaning anyone).