• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.10

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

270 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

84 posts in this topic

Bill Everett
:headbang: Great artist, but most of his great work was in the GA and he`s already had his day in the sun in the GA Artist Survivors thread, where he did very well.

Murphy Anderson

:mad: Philistines!

No more GA artists, so no more easy picks based on "doesn`t belong in this poll". Now that it`s just a stylistic thing, off with Colan (yet again) and Toth (never cared much for his Caniff-esque style).

Gil Kane and John Severin

Can someone explain the love for Gil Kane?

Acquired taste. Growing up I hated his artwork, but as I got older I started to really appreciate it. Now, I'm a huge fan of his work (especially BA covers :luhv: )

I`m the same, although I`m still not a fan of his BA covers. What turned it around for me was seeing his early SA work for DC. Great stuff.

colan & Buscema. I can't believe Murphy is gone!!!!

I agree. How the heck did Murphy Anderson get voted off ? Doesnt really make any sense especially with the names still up on the board.

Buscema, who in the 60's always seemed like a poor man's Kirby to me and Romita - booorrrring. It's interesting because I always thought of Anderson as an inker, the combination of Anderson and Infantino was unbeatable, the quintessential DC look of the Silver Age. I liked his Hawkman stuff but it never really grabbed me. Truth be known, I was so into Marvel in those years that I only read DC when there was nothing else but Charlton . It was only years later that I came to appreciate what was going on over at DC. Not only some of the great artwork (especially Kubert) but some really clever story telling, not so much character driven, which is what I loved as a kid about Marvel, as plot driven.

I agree. How the heck did Murphy Anderson get voted off ? Doesnt really make any sense especially with the names still up on the board.

Seems like people either hate him or love him. The format of these Survivor polls--where you vote against people instead of for people--gives some crazy results at times. I bet if you did a poll where people named their top 10 SA artists, Murphy Anderson would make the top 10. Someone like Crumb might make it too, since he has a lot of fans.

And if you did a poll among people who actually collect SA, Anderson would probably make the top 5.

I have to admit that I'm bewildered by the results of this contest. OK, it's obviously mostly Marvel fans here, so Kirby #1 with Ditko and Romita top 5 is inevitable, probably Buscema in there too. (I tried to read Essential Silver Surfer from the libary not long ago. Yeesh -- I could hardly make it through the first quarter, and I used to LOVE that stuff.)

But the modest bodies of Silver Age work of Adams, Steranko, Wood and Toth beat out Anderson's huge, wonderful SA contribution? I don't get it.

It's just funnybooks. It's just for fun. Repeat. It's just funnybooks. It's just for fun. Repeat.

Jack

Gil Kane and John Severin

Can someone explain the love for Gil Kane?

Acquired taste. Growing up I hated his artwork, but as I got older I started to really appreciate it. Now, I'm a huge fan of his work (especially BA covers :luhv: )

I agree with this completely. Have you read Sword of the Atom? Just great Kane work :)

I've been voting for Steranko for a while now. All his "groundbreaking" work was much more groundbreaking when Will Eisner did it in the '40s...

Why do people like Ditko? I never have cared for his style. I thought his Spider-Man was awful. :P

The mood, the style, and the originality. For my money he was the best Spiderman artist and defined Dr. Strange.

Why do people like Ditko? I never have cared for his style. I thought his Spider-Man was awful. :P

The mood, the style, and the originality. For my money he was the best Spiderman artist and defined Dr. Strange.

(thumbs u

Also check out some of his GA horror.Outstanding

Although it may have seemed like I was denigrating Ditko a few posts ago, I will be happy to see him in the final five. A true original -- if his style derived from anyone, it was the forgotten Mort Meskin. Stan made a great business decision for the popularity of Spider-Man by putting a slick romance artist like Romita on it, but I still like the early run the best. And Ditko's Dr Strange was sui generis.

Jack

Agreed. He made Spider-man, and his Dr. Strange stories are absolute gems.

Although it may have seemed like I was denigrating Ditko a few posts ago, I will be happy to see him in the final five. A true original -- if his style derived from anyone, it was the forgotten Mort Meskin. Stan made a great business decision for the popularity of Spider-Man by putting a slick romance artist like Romita on it, but I still like the early run the best. And Ditko's Dr Strange was sui generis.

Jack

"sue generis" (shrug)

But I probably agree!

I don't see the connection to Meskin though.

Jack

"sue generis" (shrug)

But I probably agree!

goldenlad3.jpg

Jack

"sue generis" (shrug)

Something to do with calling pigs.

But I probably agree!

You'd better!

I wish I had a library of Meskin samples to pull out, but I don't.

Can anyone help out with some scans of Ditko-like Meskin Vigilante, Johnny Quick, mystery/horror, romance, Mark Merlin, etc.?

Maybe I'm out to lunch here?

Try this Meskin site.

Jack