• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Steranko Fan Club Thread

129 posts in this topic

Here's my favorite STERANKO page. It's from Nick Fury #2, page 5. It's scanned from the copy in my collection.

If I could own any page of original comic book interior art I wanted, it would be this one.

nickfury2-5.jpg

- Lee Hester

Here's my favorite STERANKO page. It's from Nick Fury #2, page 5. It's scanned from the copy in my collection.

If I could own any page of original comic book interior art I wanted, it would be this one.

nickfury2-5.jpg

- Lee Hester

Great story telling! No words needed.

I've got to join ths club, I've had such a hankering for Steranko of late, I've even managed to convince myself I'll secure the #1 spot on the registry Nick Fury Set :blahblah:lol:insane::censored:

But in my defence against the 9.9 #1, I've managed to pick up a few 9.8 Nicks recently, so I think I could be within shooting distance soon.

As for my favourite Steranko cover, thats a tough one, either NF #4, or #5. Both quintisential classic's in every respect! Serious second merit honours, issue's 1, 7, and 8!

MMM!

Amen to that, bro. When I was 10, I sent away my $1.98 to Supergraphics of Wyomissing PA (sp)?, for "Steranko's History of Comics". They sent me back a form letter saying the price had gone up to $3 and could I send an extra $1. Well, as you can imagine, even $1 could buy 6 - 8 comics back then, but I summoned up my resolve and sent in the extra buck.

From that time on, I was hooked on comics. That History of Comics volume 1 turned me on to CC Beck's Captain Marvel, Jerry Robinson Batman, and of course Simon and Kirby's Captain America. They remain favorites to this day, some 35 years later.

In addition to his considerable artistic talents, Steranko is a good historian. I have subsequently bought as many of his books as I could find. My favorites are Captain America 110, Strange Tales 167, and Nick Fury 4 and 7.

As for my favourite Steranko cover, thats a tough one, either NF #4, or #5. Both quintisential classic's in every respect! Serious second merit honours, issue's 1, 7, and 8!

Steranko only did covers for issues #1-7

I love that Chandler print, Lee! I've only seen that image reproduced in a much smaller format. I'm assuming the print is ONE BILLION TIMES more awesome!

Thanks!

Heroic Fine art has the print for just $40. It's well worth the money. A MUST HAVE item for Steranko fans! Tell James at HFA that LEE sent you.

http://www.heroicfineart.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=30

The following are crappy scans found online but Steranko's covers for the reprint series of The Shadow pulps are generally awesome. Here are some favorite covers -

My absolute favorite -

pyramid_v4617.jpg

Other fan favorites -

pyramid_v4281.jpg

pyramid_v4576.jpg

pyramid_v4205.jpg

jove_v4279.jpg

and one G-8 cover for good measure -

berkley_x1746.jpg

Steranko was asked to do some conceptual paintings for Steven Spielberg for a new movie he was working on. Spielberg took the paintings and his -script to the studio and on that basis, they put the money up to make the movie.

It was "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Here is one of the paintings; perhaps the first visualizations of the character "Indiana Jones."

indy.jpg