• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microchamber Archival Paper vs Comic Book Extenders

21 posts in this topic

Microchamber Archival Paper vs Comic Book Extenders

Was wondering which is better and why?

The Extenders seem to have better support (stiffness).

The Microchamber Archival Paper seem to be basically unnoticeable in comic book.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Hope this is in the right thread.

nanoc

apples and oranges. :grin:

I don;t know, David. Looks like apples and apples to me. I wonder what the difference is? The Extenders are thin sheets of treated paper designed to be put inside a book to neutralize and absorb "contaminants". Sounds like a Microchamber type situation.

While I have never used, let alone seen Comic Extenders. 10 mil sounds awful thick to be placing inside your comic.. Especially since they do not cover the entire surface area. To those who have used them or have seen them. Are they thick enough to have a hard edge on them that could leave an impression mark if the books were stacked? :(

And reading Tracey's site got me to thinking about the oils the micro paper absorbs. Has anyone had micro paper in a SA/GA book long enough for it to have turned color(tan/brown?) Because he showed how solvent washing does a good job in removing oils from the cover(and it is dramatic) And goes on to say that if Micro paper was used from day one the cover would not have tanned. So that brings me back to my question.

Has anyone taken out/changed Micro paper that was visibly tanned from doing its job? Because on the 100's or so books of all ages I have taken out the Micro paper I have yet to see one visibly "oil soaked" or even mildly tanned.

And if so, would not the surrounding edge of the comic cover not touched by the micro paper then age differently?

Just some micro musings.

(:

Ze-

While I have never used, let alone seen Comic Extenders. 10 mil sounds awful thick to be placing inside your comic.. Especially since they do not cover the entire surface area. To those who have used them or have seen them. Are they thick enough to have a hard edge on them that could leave an impression mark if the books were stacked? :(

And reading Tracey's site got me to thinking about the oils the micro paper absorbs. Has anyone had micro paper in a SA/GA book long enough for it to have turned color(tan/brown?) Because he showed how solvent washing does a good job in removing oils from the cover(and it is dramatic) And goes on to say that if Micro paper was used from day one the cover would not have tanned. So that brings me back to my question.

Has anyone taken out/changed Micro paper that was visibly tanned from doing its job? Because on the 100's or so books of all ages I have taken out the Micro paper I have yet to see one visibly "oil soaked" or even mildly tanned.

And if so, would not the surrounding edge of the comic cover not touched by the micro paper then age differently?

Just some micro musings.

(:

Ze-

I use the extenders in my higher grade books, and to me, it's just a little extra protection as well as support. I found that the book is more easily handled with the extra support when taking it out of the bag.

As far as creating an indentation, I haven't seen anything and would have to presume that unless the books are under constant pressure, that yes you will probably see them. But under normal storage conditions, no real difference.

While I have never used, let alone seen Comic Extenders. 10 mil sounds awful thick to be placing inside your comic.. Especially since they do not cover the entire surface area.

I agree Kenny, I don't think you want to put an extra 20 mils between the covers. The immediate thought that comes to mind is staple stress. I could see putting a 10-mil sheet in at the centerfold though, where the space is available. That of course wouldn't provide the separation of newsprint and cover stock that you achieve using microchamber paper. :grin:

First thing that came to mind was to give them tapered edges. But I imagine that would not be very cost, or time effective. And now that you mention it, staple stress would be worse then any impact creasing they might leave behind.

I think I will buy some to see what all the hullabaloo is about.

hm

Ze-

Okay, I normally stay out of these things but aren't we takling about 10 mils here not 10 milimetres? Mils when refering to paper is thousands of an inch. So in this case we are saying that we are putting something that is 10/1000ths of an inch, as in the thickness of a piece of paper. Just imagine putting a piece of paper in the between the cover and book. I really don't see how that thickness will create any lines or extra stress, unless you are stacking the books vertically a couple of feet high. Even then I would assume since you are using extenders or such that the book would be in a mylar which would in turn disperse the minute amount of extra thickness so it becomes a non-factor.

Okay, I normally stay out of these things but aren't we takling about 10 mils here not 10 milimetres? Mils when refering to paper is thousands of an inch. So in this case we are saying that we are putting something that is 10/1000ths of an inch, as in the thickness of a piece of paper. Just imagine putting a piece of paper in the between the cover and book. I really don't see how that thickness will create any lines or extra stress, unless you are stacking the books vertically a couple of feet high. Even then I would assume since you are using extenders or such that the book would be in a mylar which would in turn disperse the minute amount of extra thickness so it becomes a non-factor.

No need to stay out of things, we are just nerds talking about microchamber paper. (:

Without seeing them personally I just assumed Extenders use the same mil standard 2 mil, and 4 mil Mylars use. So a 10 mil Extender type paper is going to be thicker then normal micro chamber paper.

Varfleet talked about Extenders giving his books more support so it sounded like they actually have weight and body to them, which was why I asked if they could possibly leave indentation creases behind since they are cut smaller then the book.

As I said, I have not seen one before and was just thinking out loud, not trying to say Extenders are ruining our funny books.

Ze-

duh, 10 millimeters is about 3/8". But 10 mils is still pretty thick to put between the cover and page one - it's about the thickness of 4 pieces of microchamber paper. Personally, I think it's snake oil. :insane:

Microchamber paper is 2.5 to 2.8 mils

MicroChamber Interleaving Paper .0025-.0028 in., 65 g/m2

And I enjoy reading your conversations. :)

I understand what ze and divad are saying, and of course caution is always best when protecting high value items. I just can't see how 10 mils which is the thickness of normal use stock paper (I should have specified before) would cause any problems? hm

duh, 10 millimeters is about 3/8". But 10 mils is still pretty thick to put between the cover and page one - it's about the thickness of 4 pieces of microchamber paper. Personally, I think it's snake oil. :insane:

I see no issue with 10 mil paper. Take 4 microchamber pieces and it is not thick at all. Microchamber is quite thin to start with. What bothers me about the description of the Extenders is the reference to "contaminants" - far too generic for my taste. They DO say the paper should go in 1/4 of the way from the spine (if I am reading that right). This is from there "More Info" section:

"BCW® Comic Book Extenders will help prevent yellowing, retards the aging process, and absorbs and neutralizes the contaminants in comic book pages. These 10 mil sheets go inside the book, next to the paper and ink ¼ one fourth of the way in from the front and back covers, only two sheets per book are necessary! "

I want to know exactly what "contaminants" it addresses.

I see no issue with 10 mil paper. Take 4 microchamber pieces and it is not thick at all. Microchamber is quite thin to start with. What bothers me about the description of the Extenders is the reference to "contaminants" - far too generic for my taste. They DO say the paper should go in 1/4 of the way from the spine (if I am reading that right). This is from there "More Info" section:

"BCW® Comic Book Extenders will help prevent yellowing, retards the aging process, and absorbs and neutralizes the contaminants in comic book pages. These 10 mil sheets go inside the book, next to the paper and ink ¼ one fourth of the way in from the front and back covers, only two sheets per book are necessary! "

Like I said . . . "snake oil" lol

hmmm - rererading and not reading that right. Paper goes 1/4 of the way into the reading pages from the covers. doh!

Personally, I use microchamber paper on most of the books that I place in a mylite. Just standard practice for me, plus I like how they give that "see through effect" on the FC

And I enjoy reading your conversations. :)

I understand what ze and divad are saying, and of course caution is always best when protecting high value items. I just can't see how 10 mils which is the thickness of normal use stock paper (I should have specified before) would cause any problems? hm

Standard copier paper is about 4 mils thick, so 10 mils is like sandwiching in two or three sheets of copier paper. I think business cards are about 10 mils thick.

I want to thank everyone for there discussion on this subject I have been using paper up to now and will test the new extenders to see if I like them.

The Extenders our thinner than business cards and I don't think they will leave an impression if stored vertically, I do like there stiffness when handling comic book without the backing board. I do believe they would leave an impression if comic was stored flat thou.

nanoc

I want to thank everyone for there discussion on this subject I have been using paper up to now and will test the new extenders to see if I like them.

The Extenders our thinner than business cards and I don't think they will leave an impression if stored vertically, I do like there stiffness when handling comic book without the backing board. I do believe they would leave an impression if comic was stored flat thou.

nanoc

Well that's no fun! How can we roast and lambast you as a newcomer when you post so pleasantly? Dang!